“Beautiful little restaurant with excellent views” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne
“Beautiful little restaurant with excellent views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

After travelling around Tasmania for five days, this restaurant was like a little piece of heaven. We had been looking for a seafood restaurant as we had heard Tasmania had the best seafood in the country and had trouble locating one. Then we came across Risby Cove. The seafood platter was amazing, the best I have ever seen (a little disappointed it didn't contain a crayfish/lobster though). Beautiful marinated mussels, oysters, salmon, calamari, octopus, scallops, prawns and bass. Just delicious. For dessert, we shared the lemon parfait with honeycomb and raspberry coulis. Simply melt in the mouth and the honeycomb was beautiful. If you're visiting Strahan, this restaurant is a must.

Visited January 2013

Melbourne, Australia
“Cute restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We loved this restaurant, it has a beautiful location, right on the water. The food was excellent, my fiance and I managed to have entrees, mains and dessert and we both loved all of it. The staff, although young and sometimes a bit slow, were very pleasant and genuine. Booking is a must, we did only book in the afternoon and couldn't get a table until 8pm (which was fine by us anyway), it was still packed when we left. Highly recommended!!

Visited January 2013
Hallidays Point, Australia
“I had a great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I rode my motorbike down the West Coast spending the least I could on accommodation so that I could spend a little on good food. This was the best meal I had in Tasmania. The setting is fantastic on the water , the staff were good - I did not feel like a leper even though I was dining alone. I even considered staying an extra day so I could do it all again.

The West Coast is a special place. It can be a little rough around the edges with few airs and graces. It was unexpected finding a restaurant this good here. I will be back. The roads are calling.

Chris

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hobart, Australia
“Lovely place to eat in Strahan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We dined as a family (4 adults, we don't have young kids and I am not sure this is a place I would recommend for young kids) at Risby Cove twice between Christmas and New Year. We were pleasantly impressed. It was not the most slick restuarant, it was absolutely packed (not many options in Strahan really) and there were mistakes, but these were more than compensated by the quality of the food, which was really excellent, and the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to get it right. The setting is gorgeous, the food is pretty exceptional for a small town close to being on the edge of nowhere and the staff in our experience were friendly if perhaps a little frazzled and not quite coping with the number of diners and the fact that they were turning tables around all evening. Note that the restuarant during this period was full and booking was essential.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Short sharp but not so shiny”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We were looking forward to NY Eve at Risby Cove after reading so many fantastic reviews. We arrived at 9:00 pm and anticipated a night of fine dining welcoming in the New Year there. Our waitress was lovely and very attentive. We chose a glass of champagne and a beer as our pre dinner drinks. Soon after we chose the seafood platter for two ( many positive reviews) To our surprise the drinks and food arrived simultaneously, the seafood platter within about 5-10 minutes of our order. I got the impression the drinks waitress was jostling with the waitress bringing our food to make sure she got to our table first!
I am never reassured by fresh preparation of food when it arrives at your table before your seat is warm... and this was no exception. The Atlantic salmon and sword fish were dry and the cooked prawns and calamari were cold. It was very uninspiring. Needless to say we were on our way by 11:00pm after enjoying a coffee for way longer than usual, just to make the expensive experience last a little longer.
We decided to bring in the New Year at the local pub but no luck there either. Lights out and locked up! I'm sure there were some celebrations somewhere in Strahan but we watched fireworks on TV.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere