“Historic town hiding under The Nut from the Winds of Bass Strait” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stanley

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Stanley
Directions
Stanley, Tasmania, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
“Historic town hiding under The Nut from the Winds of Bass Strait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

Stanley is a very small village of around 600. It is the main fishing port of the north west coast. You may be able to buy a lobster and have it cooked down at the harbour but be aware that the fish shops trading hours don't always reach dinner time and perhaps the early bird gets the worm or fish perhaps.
I liked Stanley both times I have been there,but unfortunately the first time it was raining and I couldn't get up to the Nut, offically called Circular Head.
Also I was a bit disappointed that this time "The Chocolate Shoppe" was closed due to linesmen taking down the overhead electricity poles and running power underground. I had to appease myself in the realisation that this would give the historic area street appeal....just as well it was for a good cause, as I was hoping to get some homemade fudge. Darned!
The streets of Stanley are quaint, with lovely old architecture in the timber buildings, some of which are B and B's. There is nothing over two storey's here and the village clings under "The Nut" which is officially called Circular Head. The Nut is a volcanic plug, punctuating the end of the peninsula and over powers all the land around it. I don't know just how many panoramic photos I took of it, from all directions and even from on top of the Nut.
As for Stanley, which snuggles up to it's base, it seems to hide away from the sometimes very unfriendly winds that tear in from Bass Strait. This makes for fantastic photos.
The town itself has arts, crafts, glass blowers. wood turners, knick knacks,jewellery, few clothes, shoes, souvenirs and historic cottages including one where a Tasmanian Prime Minister was brought up, a couple of cafes and a hotel.
There is a small supermarket which does not stock every thing and therefore if staying here, I would suggest to bring items in that are not basic.
The Nut has walking tracks up to it, free and a chairlift up ( $10 return at the time of this review) about an one hour walk on top of it's table like top and has nice scenery around.
There is also a fairy penguin rookery at the base of the Nut at Godfrey's Beach and it is possible to go on a Penguin Tour. Near this Beach is a play area for kids and amenities. next door is the cemetery with a sign on the gate to close afeter leaving...not sure who or what is to be kept out or in for that matter!
From the wharf area there is a boat trip out to Bull Rocks to see fur seals. There is also walks along East and West Inlet and Tatlow's Beach.
We stayed 3 nights in this area this time and I really enjoyed the ambience of Stanley.

Been to Stanley? Share your experiences!