“Choose somewhere else unless you like basic accom” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Port Arthur Motor Inn

Save Saved
You added Port Arthur Motor Inn to your Saves list
Port Arthur Motor Inn
29 Safety Cove Rd, Port Arthur, Tasmania 7182, Australia (Formerly Comfort Inn Port Arthur)   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Port Arthur
Yarra Valley
“Choose somewhere else unless you like basic accom”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed by this hotel. I had heard there was a hotel on the site (Port Arthur) and this was it. I was so excited to think that the rooms overlooked the site and I imagined looking out my window over historic Port Arthur, admiring the ruins during the day and especially overnight.
Certainly the hotel itself advertises the fact that it overlooks Port Arthur, and it does.

I need to point out a few things though;

The rooms overlook the very side of the site - in fact I would say you aren't really overlooking anything much except some trees and some green grass. Don't be fooled!

The restaurant at the hotel , which is what you can see in most photos of the hotel from Port Arthur, is actually the bit that overlooks the site and is, I have to admit, quite amazing, but you could easily go there from another hotel for a meal. I would suggest that you do visit it for breakfast, lunch or dinner as it sincerely does look over the good bit of the site and has outside seating that I can imagine would be lovely on a hot summers night.

At check-In the staff were really lovely and friendly, and we got to our rooms easily where you can park your car right outside. However the rooms are very small, very basic and not all that comfortable to be honest. I was sadly disappointed to not have a view over the good bits of the site, but to have a sad view of grass and nothing much else.
You pay extra for the officers row rooms and if you insist on staying there, don't pay the extra - take the cheaper guards row, there's nothing to look at and I personally don't think its worth the money to take the Officers Row rooms.

The restaurant stops taking orders at 7.30 so be sure to get in early, our friends missed out! The breakfast only runs from around 7.30am to 9.00am also and staff didn't inform us it was extra for the cooked breakfast. We happily served ourselves, with no indication we'd have to pay extra. It would have been nice to have this pointed out to us at the start, however it was quite a good breakfast and once again you can look over Port Arthur while dining which is really nice.

The hotel does have a gate in to the site (Port Arthur) at the Church end, you get a tag on your room key that lets you in. However nobody told us this. We actually went around to the visitor centre and paid extra to gain access (as it was a little closer and we didn't want to walk down the hill from the hotel gate) but if it had of been pointed out to me by hotel staff about the little tag on the room key I wouldn't have paid twice! It was only pointed out to me by a local later on.

I should also say that if you want some entertainment at night. Be sure to hang out at the bar of the hotel and talk to the locals that are there, they are not only warm and funny (and slightly inebriated) but they tell great stories of the local area and great ghost stories about walking around the site at night.....mind you, I'm not too sure what state they were in when they saw the ghosts but its one of the highlights of staying at this hotel - anyhow, once night time comes there's not much else to do unless you are booked in for a ghost tour.

I would like to also stay that in the photos of the hotel (on various websites), you see a balcony...this is not a private balcony and all the rooms (officers row) run onto this balcony...there's no way you'd sit out there like they show in the photos. I was staying on a beautiful sunny, warm day...nobody was out there as every other room is viewing you and I wouldn't think its as inviting as they make it out to be.

The bathrooms are also very small, but overall it was clean and quite alright for the one night stay which we had. I know there is lots of better accom around Port Arthur so if you are after somewhere a bit nicer then don't feel like you are missing out on anything as I sincerely don't think you will.

• Liked — The great locals at the bar, they are fantastic
  • Disliked — The rooms that didn't really overlook the site of Port Arthur that I paid extra for
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Notts, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

We stayed in the Comfort Inn for one night. To be honest there is hardly anywhere else in the area to stay, so we didn't have a lot of choice. Bearing this in mind, the hotel had reasonable prices and didn't take advantage of it being the only one near the historic site.
Staff were all very friendly - esp in the restaurant area. We were there late in the winter season and they had a lovely log fire going.
We just had the standard double room, which was a little dated, but clean. Basically we got what we paid for - a bog standard hotel.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bangkok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

We stayed one night here in a double room that overlooked the historic area. It is nice that you can enter and leave the historic area from the motel via a private gate. The room was adequate and the view was pleasant looking out over the historic area. I think the best part is that you can walk through the area at night or early in the morning with no other people. But, the restaurant and bar at the hotel close really early so don't expect anything frome them. The breakfast is basic. All in all, I wouldn't recommend staying in Port Arthur unless really interested in the history. Felons Restaurant at the historic site was Ok but not great

Stayed April 2007
Young, NSW, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2005

We were recently in Port Arthur and enjoyed our night at the Comfort Inn.
The motel is clean and comfortable and being part of the historic site and able to access the area at will was a large plus.
We had both breakfast and dinner in the restuarant and enjoyed both. The staff were especially pleasant and friendly.
We thought the whole Port Arthur experience was interesting and thought provoking.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Port Arthur Motor Inn? Share your experiences!