“Hmmm, had better......” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Gatton, Australia
“Hmmm, had better......”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Staff were helpful. Food was very average, a very basic Chinese meal really. Had the sweet and sour pork, satay chicken and fried rice and none of it was good.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Mooloolaba, Australia
“Honey Chicken A Must”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Thanks to TripmAdvisor we found The Chinese Big Wok. We booked because of the recommendations, but checkedit out beforehand and realised it was really just take away. Very impressed with the Honey Chicken

Visited July 2012
“Quality authentic food with heart”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

It was by chance we walked into Louisa's shop, and very glad that we did! We were on our honeymoon from hong kong and had been travelling in Australia for 2 weeks at the time. We probably had been having just a little too much fish and chips in tassie plus i was a little homesick (for chinese food really), so we decided that we could maybe do with some chinese takeaway. We were expecting not so authentic or even poor quality Chinese food, as it is usually the case when visiting small towns in western countries.

Turns out that the lovely lady owner Louisa is also from Hong Kong and man she can cook! We had such a great dinner there and got to chat with her for a bit as well about both our hometown. We had the most delicious honey chicken that night. It was simply so nicely executed and fresh honey was used in making the yummy sauce, so instantly I knew we had to go back for more. My wife had banana fritters as well and finished the entire dish in seconds!

So we did two days after, this time having lemon chicken and spicy ribs. The lemon sauce was made from fresh lemon juice and the batter was simply perfectly done. We followed with fried ice cream and banana fritters (again!) which were also extremely tasty! The batter is not only crispy, it's actually got a layer of cake under and the combination worked just SOOO well!

Definitely must try the fried ice cream! I'm never a big fan of sweets but my god this was so delicious!

Her daughter Amy was also extremely lovely and we had a tremendous time with them.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I was with my husband spending 2 weeks in Tasmania and my husband missed Chinese food so much that he found this only Chinese take away in Longford and rushed in though I was a bit hesitated (I didn't think we could find good Chinese food outside Hong Kong...) to my surprise, they have the best honey chicken I have ever tasted!! The meat was tender and the owner told us she used fresh chicken instead of frozen one. So we went another day and tried the lemon chicken and fried ice cream this time. Their battered chicken is so much better than those in Hong Kong and the fried ice cream is just different from any part of Australia! The owner has a secret recipe! Must try!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere