“Great food and service” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Telephone number is 0364245111
Devonport, Australia
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Went to the Taj Mahal Restaurant as part of the 'Taste the Harvest' festival in Devonport. Being Monday night, it was a bit quiet which was a shame. The food was a banquet style with a good range of foods to taste. All was delicious. At $40 per head + drinks, it was pretty good value. A cup of tea or coffee to finish off the meal would have been nice though. The service was great. The only disappointment would be that the decor was pretty basic. I've been to many Indian restaurants, and this one felt a bit 'sterile'. Basic white on white with a few pictures on the wall. I'm looking for that more cosy, red and gold feel of most Indian restaurants.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

64% Recommend
Southsea, Uk
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed overnight in Devonport and fancied a curry, was told this is the place to go. Perhaps I am spoilt being English and having an abundance of good quality Indian restaurants at home.
Upon entering I was surprised by the decor and plastic table cloth, the place looked more like a cheap cafe than a good restaurant. I was served by a local girl was unaware that they sold any Indian beers until I pointed them out to her and she read the labels. Ordered a sheek kebab starter which was tasteless, the accompanying chutney tray was so small that a teaspoon filled it. Main course I ordered lamb rogan josh which was not spicy at all and was more like a simple lamd casserole. I was totally unimpressed and shocked at how expensive it was having seen the reviews on here I thought I was in for some fine Indian dining, this certainly was not the case, average food in a poorly decorated cafe at a premium price.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Devonport, Australia
“Yummy food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Took my husband who is not a lover of hot spicy food. He loved his meal. Beautifully cooked and the staff are very helpful. Little bit pricey if you add on all the bits and pieces to meal but worth going.

Visited December 2012
New Delhi, Delhi, India
“Disgusting !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I decided to dine there after reading its reviews, I had such a bad experience that I had to share it before anyone else make a mistake of going there. We reached at this place for dinner and were given a menu which didn't had a la carte options for main course but had for breads which was so confusing , we had no choice but to take $35 per person for 4 people each..when the food came it was so embarrassing that we all looked at each other what to eat as it came in such small bowls and for 4 person 2 naan. And the waiter who took the other never showed his face and someone else ale everytime to clear the table plates, there were choices in menu which were not asked, it was just served be it anything. In the end for my curiosity I asked if the portion size was too small to which they responded that you could have asked us for more food its banquets style as if we were born to understand this accent and language. Paid $150 for 4 small bowls, uncooked butter chicken, cold coffee. I will not recommend this place even though I use trip advisor extensively for my trips.

There were other things which I wanted t gare but they are so cheap to write here in this medium.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Queanbeyan, Australia
“Good food and no other choice!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We decided to buy food from an Indian restaurant before departure through Spirit of Tasmania ship. And there were only 2 restaurants in the town and we selected this one. We ordered Naans and couple of chicken gravies. They prepared quickly and taste also good. Interior atmosphere was good.

• Visited December 2012