“Not on my visit list any more :-(” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary, Eclectic, Café
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Hearty Tasmanian country food, fresh cakes, fair-trade coffee, sour-dough breads, wood-fired foods and genuine hospitality
Alexandra, Australia
“Not on my visit list any more :-(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I understand that when a popular cafe is busy - you need to be patient and understanding. I have been to the RVL many, many times, and they can get extremely busy at times - so be aware of this when you are planning a visit.
However, there are a few things I do not understand:
When I ordered breakfast a few weeks ago - my poached eggs were MICROWAVED! I don't care HOW busy you are - for God's sake don't lower yourself by serving eggs microwaved in a little plastic cup!!
Home-cut fries are awesome - however, if they arrive on the plate looking burnt, dried up and smelling questionable - it is time to change your oil!
Staff. I don't care how 'trendy' you are. I don't even care if you live in Cygnet or not. What I care about is friendly service. Again, I am happy to wait if it is busy. I am not happy to put up with 'clicky' service from staff that think they are trendy becasue they work in Cygnet!
But... I will come back if you keep serving the breakfast tofu - yummy! And I have always loved your coffee - even though the girls behind the coffee machine look like they would rather not be there.
Also happy to pay the prices for fresh, local food - but not when the quality is slipping.

Visited March 2013
Redvelvetlounge C, Owner at The Red Velvet Lounge, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Hi Joanie05, thanks for your feedback. I hope you understand that we do not ever microwave our eggs no matter how busy we get. Our eggs are steamed giving them their unique shape. I'm not sure when you ate our chips as they have not been on the menu for months and certainly not at breakfast but I'm glad you liked our tofu and coffee. Our staff work very hard under at times trying circumstances, we are, as you say, a very busy and popular cafe. We all make an effort to be friendly and genuine to all that pass through our door. I can only surmise that most of our many customers enjoy our food and service as we remain the busiest eatery in Cygnet but acknowledge that we cannot please everybody so I'm sorry that you wont be visiting us again. Steve

Perth, Australia
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We arrived at 1130, cheerfully greeted and asked whether we were ordering coffee and cakes. We stated no we were ordering lunch, we were told lunch service commenced at 1200. Being a week day and not seeing much else opened for eating we took a wander around and returned at a few minutes to 12. We found the menu a bit limiting. My son ordering half a lamb,he was not able to eat much of it as it was so fatty. He had also sent it back to be further cooked as he does not like pink meat. Wish there were smaller serves of meat you could order.

I had the soup, I love soup, it was hot and tasty.

We wished we had been able to pre order our lunch, we waited 3/4 hour for it to arrive and there were hardly anyone in the resteraunt when we arrived. By the time we left it was quite busy, it appeared these people did not wait as long for their food as we did.

Lovely set up, beautiful collectible s on display.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Redvelvetlounge C, Owner at The Red Velvet Lounge, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi Deena M, thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you were greeted warmly and you enjoyed the soup and the atmosphere of the cafe. We open for lunch at 12 and not before is because we make everything in-house and this takes time. I'm sorry you found the menu limiting as I go to great effort to provide a broad range of options for our guests but I've learned that its impossible to cater for everyone's tastes. Cheers Steve
“Fantastic Food, Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We decided to get a brunch here, having visited the Cygnet Market. I was advised by a local to try the big breakfast, despite the higher than normal price.
The big breakfast was indeed huge, with generous servings of mushroom, wilted spinich and garlic, sausage and of course eggs, bacon, toast. Indeed I struggled my way through this meal. Utterly delicious.
Also ordered a hot chocolate from here and was a little disappointed by it, as it lacked flavour.

Visited June 2013
Canberra, Australia
“Superb comfort food in a funky setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Having eaten my way around Tasmania, and very impressed, I was surprised to find this absolute gem near the end of the journey. Fascinating atmosphere in a barn-like room full of interesting knick-knacks, superb quality comfort food with a twist, friendly attentive service, and great coffee. One day I hope to be a regular!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hobart, Australia
“Absolutely wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Loved everything about RVL. Slow cooked to perfection meat, fantastic sauces, great service. My number 1 destination.

Visited April 2013