“New clean and great location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lake St Clair Lodge

You added Lake St Clair Lodge to your Saves list
Lake St Clair Lodge
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Lyell Highway, Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park, Tasmania 7140, Australia   |
Melbourne, Australia
“New clean and great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. Enjoyed the fact nobody was around. Nice new cabin. No TV. But looks like its ready for install. No meals. But the Derwent Brudge Hotel is close and good meals.

A bit expensive. But we enjoyed it. Staff were friendly. Nothing really to complain about. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

It's hard to believe that after years of shocking reviews the management have done nothing to address the terrible reviews. Our experience was very similar to others: stunningly beautiful location; ambivalent service, awful food, gouging prices at every opportunity. For example we had booked breakfast as part of our package which was $15. When we went to breakfast we were advised that it was $15 towards breakfast. We had to order coffee and orange juice separately which ended up costing $30 each for awful poorly cooked food. Dinner was at 5 o'clock. The boat trip wasn't available unless we paid $240. It was all just a bit hopeless. On the other hand the new suites were really lovely, we had a great view, kept toasty warm in -2 nights.

For their own wellbeing the management should go and do something they like doing instead as they don't appear to want to be there. It is a terrible shame that such an opportunity to build a great holiday get away is being squandered. I'd love to come back and see a happy thriving business taking advantage of the natural beauty and enhancing people's enjoyment of a wonderous place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I am planning an Overland Track hike and had hoped to stay for a few days afterwards for a little R&R.I have had 2 attempts at making a booking. The first I spoke to a young sounding Asian girl that had very poor English speaking skills and could not understand my inquiry. Frustratingly I hung up and called back a few days later. This time I was greeted by an Indian gentleman that told me I would need to book online because he did not have the time to talk to me. When I tried to book online, the date was greyed out with a message to telephone direct. I called back and was greeted by the same person with a rude and abrupt tone. He was in no way interested in assisting. At this point I lost all interest in Lake St Clair Lodge and booked elsewhere. There are good options just down the road (albeit not lakefront) with better services at much cheaper rates. Plus they will all pick you up free of charge when you call on arrival at Cynthia Bay. They were polite, friendly and helpful - unlike staff at Lake St Clair Lodge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ACT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at Lake St Clair on a powered site 18-04-2013. we were supposed to stay for 2 nights but after eventually finding the amenities and having luke warm showers which we had to pay $1 for and staff had not told us of this which didn't help after crossing the park with clothing and no money.We were disgusted at the state of the amenities we decided we would forfeit one nights fees and stay at the Derwent Bridge Hotel. (A move we would recommend to anyone as we had a lovely time there) We advised staff at Lake St Clair that the key did not work for the ladies toilets and the showers were luke warm, the staff appeared to have heard it all before and seemed disinterested. I would NOT recommend staying here.

Come and enjoy the walks but stay elsewhere. I would prefer not to give this place a rating but the system asks for a rating, so it is under sufferance that I give it a one.

Jenny M.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This place is aimed at bushwalkers that want a little lux. Unfortunately I misinterpreted this and imagined a bit more "lux"! Also the way things went on arrival meant that we were not in a great mood by the time we actually got a cabin. It took 4 attempts for us to be allocated a cabin with a double bed. Now as each cabin is 500m+ from reception, this became more of a drama than it needed to be. On getting a cabin (no.26) we found a space that was "nice" with all that that means. a heater that heated air butas there appears to be no insulation it left the floor freezing, no curtains on the glass door to the outside, damp towels (I presume because of the cold). there was lenty of hot water, lighting was adequate (except when the power fails - and they don't have torches so do bring your own). If you are a bushwalker looking for something better than a tent - then you have found your place.

Room Tip: be careful of "Lake views", many cabins don't have them except from outside!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
brunswickheads
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was on holiday at Lake St Clare for 2 days and wished I could have stayed longer it is so beautiful I was reading some reviews before I left for our trip to Tasmania and I am so glad I did not take heed to them .
I was looking for peace and quite as where my husband and our friends as we all live very busy lives working and grandchildren on our days off , Lake St Clair gave us the exact peacefulness we where looking for .
if you are looking for total wilderness this is the place the walks are beautiful the lake is spectacular the accommodation was superb and there was nothing you needed everything was there to cook for our self if we wanted to and food at the lodge is first class the staff fantastic and willing to make your stay as best it can if you don't enjoy this place then that is no fault of the staff and management.
I will be returning as the trip on the boat is breathtaking and very informative of the area well done to the captain .
My husband has Parkinson's Disease and we found that everywhere we went there was no problems for him the walkways were well kept and ramped and the quite was a welcomed relief for him .
all I can say is well done and thankyou very much for making our holiday a great one our stay at the lodge was the best part of the 2weeks we spent in Tasmania will see you again soon.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quite or just to see the wilderness and the wildlife and have a cruise on one...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
West Hollywood, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had a comfortable stay at this lodge. I wanted to experience a bit of the country other than the typical sights. This was off the beaten track with views that a photographer would kill for. I love me a great view. I stayed in a suite fearing that it might still be a tad rustic. It was beautiful and new! As a woman traveling alone I also felt really safe which is always a concern.. Ate and drank at the restaurant and found the service to be friendly and the food delightful. So glad I discovered this wonderful part of the world!

Room Tip: Get a suite it is not that much more than a regular room. All new and large.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Lake St Clair Lodge? Share your experiences!