“Nice place, Beautiful location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lake St Clair Lodge

You added Lake St Clair Lodge to your Saves list
Lake St Clair Lodge
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Lyell Highway, Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park, Tasmania 7140, Australia   |
West Hollywood, California
“Nice place, Beautiful location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had a comfortable stay at this lodge. I wanted to experience a bit of the country other than the typical sights. This was off the beaten track with views that a photographer would kill for. I love me a great view. I stayed in a suite fearing that it might still be a tad rustic. It was beautiful and new! As a woman traveling alone I also felt really safe which is always a concern.. Ate and drank at the restaurant and found the service to be friendly and the food delightful. So glad I discovered this wonderful part of the world!

Room Tip: Get a suite it is not that much more than a regular room. All new and large.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a tricky one. If you want to visit Lake St Clair and do some extended walking/hiking you’ll need to stay nearby. This is the only campground close to Lake St Clair. We stayed here in March. My recommendation is if you are on a budget and don’t need to stay at Lake St Clair, do some walks and then move on. If you want to enjoy the areas great hikes and lakes, stay here and be forewarned that you’ll be nickle and dimed for your stay. The campground in itself is in a great location and the facilities are satisfactory. The management just come across as trying to squeeze every cent out of their customers. It’s not hideously expensive really, but the extra charges make a camp-goer feel a little used (especially if you compare what you get for a similar price at Cradle Mountain campground). Here is my summary:

Pro’s:
Location: campground is a 5 min walk to the shore of Lake St Clair. All hiking trails around Lake St Clair are accessible from the campground. It is a beautiful area and very peaceful.
Parks office staff: even though the campground is privately and separately owned and run, the parks office is next to campground reception. If you want to know about hiking trails the parks office staff are very friendly and knowledgeable.

Con’s:
Value for Money: $35 for a powered site which most are a pretty long walk to shower facilities. You’ll need to fork out $20 for a toilet/shower facility key (which you will be refunded once key is returned). One key given out per site. To operate the shower you will need to pay $1 coin for 5 mins. In order to stay in the campground (which is in a national park) you will need to have a National Park’s pass (we paid $60 for a 3 month pass). If you are planning on hiking or going to Cradle Mountain you will need a pass anyway.
Amenities: bathrooms and showers were worn with peeling paint and didn’t look all that clean. And were a long walk away from the campsites. There are no communal BBQ, cooking or sink facilities. Water from taps is non-potable. You will need to bring your own drinking water in or fill up your water bottles at the park information office (15 min walk away).
Location: about a 10-15 min walk from campsites to main office in the National Park office. A bit of a hike if you need to ask them questions (limited mobile reception in the park means you can’t always call the management).
Resources: aside from the gift shop and an expensive restaurant in the parks office there are no dining or grocery establishments nearby. You will need to come fully stocked.
Campground management: satisfactory but not all that friendly

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I come here with my friends last month. I feel like i am a family member of Lake St Clair Ferry, since their service is more than what i expected. I feel even more safe when the room is very clean. I also really like the scenery here, since I took a trip from Cynthia Bay to Narcissus. Its very convenient when the resort offer 3 different schedule a day for us to choose. The food is wonderful! If you come, you should try it out at Lodge Restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had to upgrade our campsite booking to a basic room which came at a hefty $110 a night with shared facilities.

We ordered 2 burgers at the restaurant expecting restaurant quality food, instead we were given canned food (beetroot), 2 pieces of cabbage (whole) without dressing as salad. The white buns were the cheapest variety available from any old supermarket. Having eaten our way through the amazing produce Tasmania has to offer, we felt cheated and ripped off simply because there is nothing else available in the area.

It would've been nice if the heater in our room worked as it was almost zero degrees on the night.

• Stayed March 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I read all of the reviews and something didn't feel right with the negative reviews saying that this new resort needed repairs. I am so glad I trusted my instincts. The resort is NEW and the rooms are really, really nice! I didn't have an issue with any staff member in a negative way. All were helpful and gave me great tips for exploring the area. If you are driving in and think you'll need lots of provisions, bear in mind that you are in a National Park and there isn't a supermarket in the area. The store stocks basic necessities that you might need. The beds were comfy and I really enjoyed the tranquility. The restaurant and service were both good. I would go back again to enjoy the surroundings and wouldn't hesitate to stay at this lodge.

Room Tip: If you are able to splurge a little for a suite do it! The sunrise views are amazing!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Event when I have been there in early of January, it was very cold but the people make me feel really warm. They are so friendly and helpful.(the heater in my cabin worked well also. Lol)
And I surprise when I read the reviews in tripadvisor. It's totally difference. Lucky I did not read these bad review before I came. Or else I will miss the happiest time with my friend overthere.
So I just wanna let you what you can get overthere as me.
Beautiful room, and very cozy in winter
The food just so good. As I know the chef is from Malaysia then in their menu have a lot of asian food besides western food also. And the taste just like i eat at home. Love it.
The staff and the resort manager are so funny and helpful. They make me and my friend friend laugh like crazy. And they also gave us good advise to visit some place near there.
Next time, I hv change to visit my friend in Melbourne again, sure we will back to Lake st clair Wildness resort.

• Stayed January 2013
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We booked what we thought was a self-catering unit. We verified this by calling since the website and booking sites do not have the same descriptions. When we arrived we were told no, it was not. We had what looked to be a relatively new cabin with a nice water view. But, no way to prepare or use the food we had brought. After much conversation the gentleman at the desk, at 5:30 on Saturday night during peak season, got the manager. He could not believe we were told the unit was self-catering by one of his employees, but he did try his best to make things right. He brought us a poorly functioning two burner appliance, two plates, two bowls, two each of knives, forks and spoons, two pans and one pot, and a very sharp carving knife. This was a wonderful solution, not perfect, but it helped.
I really do not understand this place. The room was huge but there was no dresser to put things in. The one, tiny closet was not wide enough for the two hangers provided. We had to leave our stuff lying all over the floor. Could have stayed in the backpacker lodge to do that. The sink area has cabinet space but nothing provided. There is no microwave or toaster. The refrigerator is tiny and cannot keep anything cold since it is enclosed in a cabinet and the heat defeats it. While we were there two men came into our room without knocking (I actually had no clothes on). They drilled two holes in the panel between the frig and the next compartment. They left sawdust everywhere and didn't seem to understand that their efforts were futile. It will still overheat.
The bathroom has no towel rods or hooks of any kind to hang the towels on. Again, it is spacious, but useless.
It is too bad as the views are lovely over the lake and the location is great. But it was not worth the money we paid. As it turned out, it was not full on a Saturday in peak season. I guess the reputation is spreading. I only wish I had read the reviews first. Fortunately there was a sale on our room so it was only $184, not $215. Again, this was a fact on the website, but one the receptionist knew nothing about when we called. Not terribly well informed.
The room was cleaned, although we did not wish it. But, when checking to make sure we had left nothing behind, I looked under the bed and it was filthy. It should have been easy to clean, what with a high bed and wood floors. But, the dust was disgusting.
Would never return in spite of the manager's effort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lake St Clair Lodge? Share your experiences!