The Prior Country Lodge is located in Bothwell - off the beaten track. Approx 1 hr 15 mins drive from Hobart airport.
Given the relatively isolated location (ie no easy access to restaurants), and the above average tariff charged, with the inclusion of "... silver service afternoon tea upon arrival... full cooked breakfast and dinner .... " this lodging appeared attractive.
The disappointing reality was as follows:
* Silver service afternoon tea translated to - a cup of tea and a very small piece of fruit cake
* Full cooked breakfast
- Day one: a fried egg on a piece of toast. We were offered another piece of toast and jam.
- Day two: a piece of toast
* No napkins/serviettes
* No side plates, or butter knives - though bread and butter was served with dinner
* Choice of only one red wine (alcohol was an extra cost - therefore it would have been nice to have a choice)
* Unironed duvet covers
* No wardrobe
* Dead blowfly beside bath - in situ when we arrived - still there when we left
* Insufficient hot water to fill bath
Some of the items listed above may seem trivial, however when a host is happy to charge above average prices, they should provide above average service and amenities.
* Bothwell is a quaint village with interesting churches, and other buildings. Tartan street signage is cute and appropriate. A half day in Bothwell is plenty of time to see the village and have a coffee/lunch.
* Our host provided information on nearby places of interest. We chose to visit Oatwell and Ross which were worth the drive.
* The house is in a peaceful spot, it is an interesting building, has many public rooms available for use, with eclectic decor
* The bed was comfortable, and a TV was mounted on the wall in the bedroom
* There is a large lawn area, with places to sit
* The host assisted us with luggage - thankfully, as the narrow, steep stairs were challenging
* Our bathroom had a lovely view across nearby fields - though there was no window covering, so you did feel a little exposed as the shower was located immediately in front of the window
* The floor area of our bedroom was spacious, though due to location ie in roof space, there was only one small window, and the walls sloped creating a "closed in" feeling.
* Dinners were just OK - nothing to write home about
This place presents itself as "upmarket" and charges accordingly. Sadly, we do not feel we received value for money. We would not stay here again.
- Also Known As:
- The Priory Country Lodge Bothwell, Tasmania, Australia
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Otel so you can book your The Priory Country Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.