“Friendly and Welcoming” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Victoria & Albert Guesthouse

You added Victoria & Albert Guesthouse to your Saves list
Victoria & Albert Guesthouse
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   19 Station St, Mount Victoria, New South Wales 2786, Australia   |
Parkes, Australia
“Friendly and Welcoming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My husband and I have stayed more than a couple of times at The Victoria & Albert. We are always greeted very warmly and are very well looked after by Roman & Katie. The accommodation is charming, clean and comfortable. The food is good. And when Roman is not too busy, he will entertain us with his brilliant guitar playing.

Being from Central NSW, we like the convenience of using the metropolitan railway in to Sydney, which is only a 2 minute walk away. We are able to leave our car safely parked and travel hassle-free. On occasions, we have needed to make a very early start. Nothing being too much trouble for Roman, he will be up to ensure we can have some breakfast before we leave. He will also make sandwiches for us to take on the train - and I can honestly say I've never eaten more delicious sandwiches in my life!

My only critical review would be to say that, although this grand old building has so much charm and potential, it really is in need of repairs and maintenance. However, the warmth and friendliness of the staff more than make up for the need of a coat of paint. We will definitely be booking in again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

A nice place to stay and overall a great experience. The charm of the old days versus complete lack of maintenance. I would urge the owners to invest in a make up of this lovely guesthouse with all its potential. The innkeepers are pleasant and very accommodating. Service at dinner was very slow during the busy Easter weekend. The rooms are clean but would be nice to find a hair dryer or a bottle of water there. Again, the place has so much charm and potential, whoever owns the place should invest some revenue back into it to make sure it does not fall apart in the future.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

When my partner and I arrived we were met by an unfriendly staff member who said that she had gone through instructions regarding breakfast, the guesthouse etc so many times already that day that we should just refer to the sheet provided. The sheet had all the information, however her manner was very cold and unwelcoming! The room itself was fine for the price paid ($130). The room was warm, clean, bed was fairly uncomfortable, there was no tv, there were quite a few cobwebs, and the room was generally worn down. However for the price I thought it was ok. At night there was considerable noise from the road which kept my partner awake. The bathroom had slat windows which couldn't be completely shut, meaning that it was very cold to go into at night. The bathroom was relatively clean but again very worn down. The toilet was also broken and leaked water when you flushed! The cooked breakfast was very average.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We have just returned from a fun & relaxing weekend at The Victoria & Albert at Mount Victoria with my husband & 4 friends. Thank you Roman for being the best host & chef. Our meal on Saturday night was fabulous finished off perfectly with Roman's fantastic & yummy crepes. Also a big thank you to Tracey , Linda & Katie for making our stay so comfortable. We were lucky enough to have the spa room which I certainly made use of. We will be back .

Room Tip: The rooms with ensuites are my pick
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

A few of us were looking for a light meal in Mt Victoria on a Sunday drive and stumbled across the guesthouse. Often passed by and eaten in other places in Mt Victoria but was greeted by a genuinely nice bloke, at first we thought he was a guest, relaxed and friendly.
We decided to stay and had quite a nice lunch and a great coffee with a few laughs with the owner. I have to say that the food was better than good, in fact I expect to take a large group of friends back for a Saturday night dinner during winter.
Interesting building, big with so much room it's difficult to know what to do with the rooms. I applaud the current owners for having a go and you could do a lot worse than having a meal here.
Looking forward to the dinner..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Spent two mostly enjoyable nights here recently with my husband and our grand daughter. The room we had was clean and comfortable with definite attempts at a level of historic charm that mostly hit the mark. Had no issues with the size of the room or the warmth or comfort levels that we had.
We were greeted by a very pleasant lady who showed us around and made us feel most welcome. It was made clear that we were on our own for breakfast which wasn't a problem for us and we were happy to have the run of the dining room to be in peace and quiet. While it was only cereal and toast with few choices for and of either, there was plenty to be had.
We were lucky enough to also have sole control of the downstairs tv as we were the only people there on the first night and the other occupants on night two were not interested in watching tele. The tv room was comfortable and cosy, but it is not something that I am used to when wanting to wind down at the end of the day.
The main reason for the poor rating is two fold.
There seems to be so little care being put into what could be the most wonderful place to stay and eat. The new owners have not been there long and I truly hope that this attitudde changes or the decline in this once wonderful location will continue.
The main reason is the pervasive smell of stall cooking oil. In fact, everything about the kitchen made me very uncomforatble. Bins full of mixed garbage left unemptied and uncovered for the whole time that we were there. Yes, it was fairly cold (especially for February), but this is such a basic task in any commercial kitchen that I found it hard to believe that a professional worked in that environment.
The washing up from the night time meal that the other guests had on night two were not washed until the following day, and the tables that had been used were also not cleared. I simply coudn't believe my eyes and the addition that these smells made to the whole place was not to be believed.
I think that with a little attention to these details it wouldn't take much to turn this place around and I truly hope that it can be.
Apart from these two issues it really is a lovely historic place to be and became an instant favourite with our grand daughter!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Mount Victoria hotels

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Myself, husband and 2 kids stayed here for 2 nights in September 2013.I was already familiar with the establishment as i had spent time there as a teenager and knew pretty much what to expect.The V& A has definately kept it's old world charm & if thats what your into you will love it.From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome with the manager Roman & his staff doing everything they could to make our stay a truly memorable experience.Our room was of course like the rest of the V&A in need of a little T.L.C & it would of been nice to have a little fridge plus tea & coffee making facilities as if you wanted a cuppa you have to go downstairs to make it.The room however was clean & comfortable.The location Mount Victoria is just lovely a quaint little town away from all the hustle & bustle of the nearby tourist hub Katoomba.There is a lovely old pub,Mt Vic flicks a little old cinema,cafe,convenience store & all in close proximety to the train station.Of course the highlight of our stay was sitting on the upstairs balcony enjoying the lovely views and the food prepared by Roman was just delicious we ate there both nights. Would we stay again definately & look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Victoria & Albert Guesthouse? Share your experiences!