“Okley Adventures gives you MORE than you expect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of MiraMar Excursions

MiraMar Excursions
Eldorado 12, Yelapa CC 48440, Mexico (Formerly Okley Activities and Excursions)
+52 322 227 7121
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Yelapa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: MiraMar Excursions offers friendly, local service based out of Yelapa. We truly enjoy giving personal attention and showing you the real Mexico. Check our our website for more information about all the fun trips and activities we offer. Our boat is called Okley.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Okley Adventures gives you MORE than you expect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Fernando took my boyfriend and I out on an all-day fishing adventure. While the trip started out a little rough as I got a little sea sick, it ended up being our best day in Yelapa. We reeled in eight fish total - six bonita, one mackarel, and one albacore. Each time a fish hit a line excitement ensued. We were lucky enough to catch our first couple of bonita before lunch, and Fernando showed us his sashimi skills right there on the boat. He even had soy sauce and wasabi for an authentic experience. We followed our freshly caught sashimi up with out-of-this-world ceviche, also prepared by Fernando. As the day wore on, we caught more fish, caught sight of sea turtles, saw several whales cresting, and learned a lot of history about Yelapa and the surrounding area.

Because we were interested in getting a full dose of culture on our trip to Yelapa, we asked Fernando if we could stop by the small town of Corales. Fernando happily obliged and took us to a small restaurant owned by a local fisherman and his family. While here we enjoyed a few drinks and Fernando urged me to get a lobster. I am so glad he told me to do it. My three-pound lobster was the best thing I ate the entire trip!

Our fishing adventure was more than we could have imagined. We enjoyed making friends with Fernando, hanging out with him the following night, and meeting his wife and baby. We can't wait to come back to Yelapa and fish with Fernando again (and take him up on his offer to cook).

Visited February 2013

Quesnel B.C.
“AMBER JACK SPECIAL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I went on a six hour fishing excursion with Fernando, of Okley Excursions and had the most exciting trip of our lives! I am very tiny, so was content with reeling in one mackerel, and busied myself with taking pictures of the scenery, that the coast provided. My husband, however, reeled in over 14 more fish. Two Amber Jacks hit the lines at the same time, so Fernando pitched in and reeled in the second. There was no way I could have accomplished this feat. I was in awe of the two men's accumen! Smiles were abound that day, mine included! Fernando is a first rate fishing guide. Don't miss this tour with him!

El Dorado, Kansas, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Adventure of a lifetime!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

World Class Fishing, Snorkeling, Scuba, Island Exploring, and Water Fall Tours are only a few of the possibilities that you can experience with Fernando and the staff of Okley Activities and Excursions.

As a Kansas Hunting Guide and Pro-Staffer for "Above The Game Outdoors" I analyze the adventures and the customer service provided by my outfitter in a more strenuous manner than most. As a Hunting Guide I try to provide impeccable service, and with such feel that I should have the same service when I travel. As a Pro-Staffer for an outdoors DVD production company, I know that at some point in time I will have to review the services in an honest manner and make a determination whether to return or not. So with that I give you my honest opinion.

Fernando and his employees of Okley we the most humble of people and brought a new meaning to the term "full service!" Fernando, who speaks fluent English, is one of the most amazing people that I have ever met. He makes you feel as if you are family and yet still provides you with service fit for royalty!

Fernando was born and raised on/around the waters he navigates, and navigates with no electronic or sonar equipment to boot. He takes you to where the fish are, and by god he knows where they are every day. I'm talking a box full of fish a day, with MONSTER sized of whatever your after,ours were GIANT Sail Fish! Of course Fernando had to point out every Sail Fish that we seen, except for the 7 footer that about jumped in the boat with us, three times, I at least got to see that one first. Dolphins and Humpback Whales were spotted everyday from the boat and both species put on their own spectacular shows.

I was a bit skeptical about taking a fishing trip with such a CHEAP price tag. Little did I know that not only was it the cheapest charter boat I've ever been on, but it was that BEST CHARTER BOAT that I've ever been on. I did see other charter boats, many with a much high price tag on their services, but all second hand to Okley in my eyes. In FACT my party fished four days for what the others were fishing one day! In FACT I fished 4 days with Fernando and he put us on sail fish everyday! In FACT, Fernando put us on a 12 FOOT SAIL FISH only a few meters from our boat, while two of the large expensive charters rushed in and threw on our fish. I found it funny that I went fishing four days and Fernando put me on BIG SAIL FISH every outing, for the same price these other guys paid for one day, just for their guide to follow Fernando and try to steal our fish....

Fernando can interact as little or as much as you want, like many of the locals in Yelapa he is by nature a quiet man, though not at all arrogant. I on the other hand like to talk, and found it just irresistible to keep quiet when I had so much to learn about the amazing places he took us. Let me tell you I asked what seemed like a million questions from fishing to local culture, to child hood memories, and everything in between; I always got an intelligent and honest answer, which only enriched my adventures by adding another element in which to remember it by.

On our way into Yelapa from fishing on our last day I couldn't help but to feel a sense of pride knowing that I truly had found the best guide/host/chef/fishing boat captain and just all around great guy on my first trip to the place where I plan to vacation for the rest of my life. If you took the nicest person you know, Jimmy Huston, Bear Grills, Bobby Flay and about three of the Queen's servants and rolled them into one, you would come up with one Captain Fernando Garcia-Garcia. He is that good!!!

Visited December 2012
Santa Monica, California
“A wonderful day visiting the Islands”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

You couldn't ask for a better host than Fernando. He made for a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Whales, dolphins, fresh ceviche, snorkeling, isolated beaches. What more could you ask for? A truly wonderful experience!

Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Trip to the Marieta Islands”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I found MiraMar on the Internet while looking for excursions to the Marieta Islands. Kendra was super helpful answering my numerous questions (we seriously emailed 20+ times back and forth). We were part of a group of 8 people (4 couples) of which one person was extremely motion sick so we were looking for something that didn't involve a catamaran and the possibility of boat sickness.

For a little extra cost, Fernando picked up the 8 of us at our resort in Puerto Vallarta. We drove ~30mins to Boca de Tomatalan where we got on his beautiful new boat. Paul helped drive us out to the island. It was a ~45min boat trip to the island but we loved the efficiency of this compared to the 2 hour trip a catamaran would have taken. The boat ride is pretty bumpy because you're moving fast and out in the ocean. It's not swaying like the big boats, but it's a lot of "up and down". Sitting in the back of the boat was less bumpy, but several of the group really enjoyed being in the front. (For those who are severely motion sick, try a transderm scopolamine patch, it worked for this trip. One other person used dramamine, but none of us got sick!). On the way out we saw 4 whales in a pack... it was amazing!

Once we got to the island we did some snorkeling and boated around the island to see some of the other wildlife including the blue footed booby! We then got dropped off at one of the beaches were we could do more snorkeling or just explore. Fernando came back with lunch - ceviche, guacamole, and chicken salad (for the non-seafood people). The food was amazing! Several people loved the ceviche even though they don't like most fish.

On the boat ride back Fernando showed us Yelapa (where he's from) and some other areas along the coast.

Overall we LOVED this excursion and the fact that it was just our group on the boat. We didn't have to share space with 60 other strangers or take forever to get out to the islands. Fernando was super easy going and made the trip a lot of fun. We could even play our own music (iphone) via the boat's speaker system. I would highly recommend doing a trip with this company and we would definitely try something else when we are back in Puerto Vallarta.