“Nope” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Isabel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yelapa
Casa Isabel
You added Casa Isabel to your Saves list
The Point, Yelapa 51, Mexico   |
San Francisco, California, United States
“Nope”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I indicated in my booking request that privacy was paramount - we got the beach unit in which everyone on the beach and everyone in any vicinity could see us when we were upright - 360 degree view. Beach is NOT private - tons of people. That's FINE - just not what was expected. Bed was EXTREMELY uncomfortable AND actually broke in the middle of the night. And - absolutely - NO insect protection. The mosquito net is set up in a way that actually provides more opportunity for insects to get in than to stay out. Appreciate the ecologically-friendly aspect, but feel that place was misrepresented. Also - if it rains - ALL your stuff (including in the locker) will get wet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Isabelcasa, Owner at Casa Isabel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
This black cloud contains pockets of truth among layers of nonsense, and would likely not have formed had I honored Masha's only on-site complaint, that they had been unable to return to Casa Isabel for their second of two nights, and thus wanted a refund. Go figure...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My husband and I have traveled all over the world and our experience in Yelapa was one of our most memorable. This was due in part to staying at Casa Isabel. It is a beautiful and unique piece of paradise. If you are looking for something different and romantic, I'd highly recommend Casa Isabel. There is a range of accommodation choices to suit various budgets. They are all lovely and artistically designed. You can use the website to select your favourite. We enjoyed cooking in the kitchen at night and swimming at the little beach (Playa Isabel) during the day. It's really geared for adults, due to the steep climb, open concept casas and tranquil surroundings. The grounds are lush and beautiful and every effort is made toward sustainability. The composting toilets are not luxury but they work perfectly and eliminate the septic problems encountered in so many small, isolated communities. Bring your free spirit and sense of adventure with you. Yelapa is a very special place. We will definitely return, and when we do we will look forward to staying at Casa Isabel again. Thank you Judy and Beverly for your wonderful hospitality!

Room Tip: Check out the website. There are plenty of photos. Email the owners and describe exactly what you ar...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

What an amazing get-away. My wife and I were looking for a place to get away, unplug and tap into the beauty of Mexico and we could not have found a more magnificent place. We flew into Puerto Vallarta and took a easy cab ride to a interestingly not existent pier (made it so much more fun and adventurous) where we got to roll up our pants and jump into the water Taxi. It was a 30-45 minute water taxi ride to make it to Yalapa. We were dropped off at the main pier and it was only a short walk to Casa Isabel. We were greeted by the lovely Beverly. Beverly is such a sweet woman who has been instrumental in the creative beauty that you will experience. We felt as though we were "family" as we learned so much about her and we wonderful story. It was such a treat to get to know her and we look forward to coming back if only to get to spend time with Bev.

We had the privilege of staying in Yolocalli for the first 5 nights of our stay. I would say that it is the best place on the property (although all of them are amazing). All of the lodging is very eccentric and creative masterpieces. There are no real walls in this unit and you have a breath taking view of the bay. We saw dolphins and on one occasion, my wife spotted a whale! This unit is nestled beside a wonderful small creek and waterfall. You hear the water and still get an amazing view of the Bay. It has a large bed with a mosquito net and a place to lock up all your valuables. We felt extremely safe here and truly enjoyed all of the space in this unit. I spent most of my day exploring around the property, taking some amazing photos, relaxing in the hammock, journaling, hiking to the falls, and honestly simply enjoying the beauty of Mexico and Casa Isabel.

We chose to move closer to the beach and stay in the Beach House. It is a smaller and more quaint living space with more walls but this one has a wonderful fire pit. The water is so close to you and it is majestic being able to fall asleep to the waves crashing on the rocks just several feet away from where you are sleeping. Both of the units we stayed in (as with all of the units) have composting toilets and most have flushing pee toilets that refresh the amazing vegetation around each unit. Speaking of vegetation, it is STUNNING to be surrounded by so many beautiful plants that provide plenty of privacy for you as well as great snacks (limes, oranges, bananas, etc).

Don't come to Casa Isabel if you are high maintenance and want all the "luxuries" of a hotel or resort. This is not the place for you if you are looking for that. If you are looking for immense beauty, wonderful hospitality, a TRUE "eco" facility and you are looking to have a unique mexican adventure, Casa Isabel is for you! You will not be disappointed at all, in fact, I would bet you too will come home ready to book another trip to this amazing place.

Thank you Beverly and Chris for continuing Isabel's vision and for an amazing time! Thank you Bill for helping us arrange our time there! It was truly an honor to get to know you all! Looking forward to coming again!!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are GREAT. If you can afford Yolocalli, go for it. It is worth it. Stay for as l...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

If you want a vacation off the beaten path, and to be immersed in the authentic culture behind Mexico--go to Yelapa and stay at Casa Isabel. We were just there last week and we already want to go back--it was the BEST VACATION OF OUR LIVES (not over-exaggerating at all). We stayed in Casa Yolocalli, and it was so gorgeous. It had a nice kitchen with pots, pans, plates and silverware. The casa had a nice couch where I laid down to read a lot, and the shower was super nice. We were able to go to the local market and get ingredients to make our own lunches and dinners. Playa Isabel is RIGHT outside the gate, and it is a beautiful little beach--perfect for swimming or launching your kayak/paddle board. The open air part of the casa was great. We fell asleep to the sound of the waves crashing and the waterfall...it was glorious! Our bed was really comfortable, and the mosquito netting kept us bite-free at night. A woman named Bev runs the place and she is absolutely amazing. Anything you need, she'll make it happen.This place is magical and I highly suggest it to anyone who doesn't mind getting closer to the atmosphere and being a part of the environment. Pick your own limes, oranges, bananas and papayas RIGHT on the property! So cool!

Room Tip: If you want some privacy and it's just you and your loved one, stay in Yolocalli. If you are SOL...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We spent 3 nights here right after New Years. Most of the accommodations in Yelapa are indoor/outdoor. Staying at Isabel felt like staying in a garden. The main area of the hotel was surrounded by flowers and hummingbirds and our bedroom overlooked a waterfall. Isabel is very quiet as it is further away from town, which around new years can be a big plus. Like much of a yelapa it's a bit of a walk and can take a good 20 minutes to get to the main beach. Most of the casas we saw in person looked nothing like their online photos. We actually thought Isabel's online photos did not do it justice.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

The water taxi can drop you on the playita de isabel (isabel's beach) directly below the casa(s). A short walk up to 'central' to check in and meet the amazingly down to earth and kind folk - beverly and bill, judy and valerie, and more!
We had booked the 'gatehouse' but found upon arrival that it was 'out of commission' and we had been moved to the 'passion palace' - a fine choice! Very artistic with touches, quiet sounds of birds and waves, our curtains opened onto a view of the bay with nothing obscuring but trees and palms.
we used the kitchen and central house openly, never a moment of hesitation - we just made ourselves at home! Judy and Valerie had the best recommendations for our visit - they were spot on each time!
This place has a variety of accomodations to suit every taste, from very private, to more open and communal with privacy as well - such as we had!
The Yoncalli palapa was what we'd like to stay in next.....to die for details and privacy - worth the cost!
We enjoyed staying a bit away from the village and "The Beach" for we were seeking quiet moments and serenity - we found it!
Upon leaving a boat picked us up at Isabel's beach - never having to lug our backpacks and gear down to the pier.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Bainbridge Island, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Since 2005, not only have my husband and I, but our whole family has vacationed at Casa Isabel. During Isabel's life, my teen daughter worked an an intern for her, and I keep going back each year to meet with a women's circle.

When Isabel was alive, the place was dominated by her outstanding energy, mesmerizing stories, beautiful presence and genuine warmth, as well as the garden paradise she nurtured over the 38 years of her life there -- today, Isabel's spirit and generosity and the beauty of the natural environment there continues to pervade what many call "the Jewel of Yelapa," Casa Isabel. And the work Beverly Taylor and her husband Chris, long time residents of Casa Isabel has transformed it into an even more beautiful place to stay.

This November, we stayed 3 weeks at Casa Isabel and I met during one of them with my women's circle. We had a great time. It was like being in a Walt Disney movie for the awe and amazement we experienced at the dozens of butterflies per hour that flew in and out of the open air palapas. Except for the harmless carpenter ants that would have liked to take up residence in our beds (this is their world more than ours) and the scorpions that would have preferred to remain invisible (this is the jungle, remember) and the little flies that wanted to eat our ankles for dinner (a small annoyance in exchange for a huge amount of fulfillment, joy and awe to be in such a glowing natural setting where we could breath without toxic chemicals sprayed all over the place) our experience of being in Yelapa at Casa Isabel was 10 out of 10!

The weather was incredible, the sounds of nature (which we could hear due to our location in Yelapa away from the happy noise of the village celebrations and dances at night) soothed our souls. It was the rest and joy we needed.

The palapas we stayed in were Casa Annie and Casa Deeanne. From our bed at Annies, we could see through the mosquito net as we awoke each morning, a majestic sunrise -- the sky, first salmon orange, then white, then blue emerged from behind what must be a 100 + year old strangler fig tree located in the main courtyard. It spread over the sky i the distance from where we lay. And from our chairs in the evening, we looked out over the enormity of the ocean in the curve of the horizon, observing manta rays and flying fish in the glistening end of day sun.

At this time of year, we were able to pick passion fruit straight off the vine hanging over the roof of our bathroom and pick up giant avocados from the ground for supper. Beverly, who hand-crafted the new building projects at Casa Isabel crafted a sink in this bathroom with a stunning conch shell through which the water flowed. Truly a piece of art!

Casa Isabel is not a place for people who are looking for a super chic spa-like experience. There aren't many of those in yelapa -- but that is NOT what we are looking for anyway. It is for people who adore and cherish nature, who want to get away from technology, phones, email...and really have an experience of the simple pleasures -- the inner experience so often denied us by our hermetically sealed, sanitized, manicured lives, and shut in single family residences -- it is a collective experience with a lot of privacy... a chance to be with nature, our natures, and be in touch with our bodies, souls, and spirits. Not that you can't use your cell phone - you can, but I suggest trying not to too much!

Casa Isabel is a soulful place. It is an artful labor of love. Unique, special, a secret treasure -- with just enough of the real world, the natural world, to keep us mindful and conscious rather than lulled into a false sense of "safety." It is the jungle, remember!

All I can say is I've had some of the most memorable romantic moments, delicious community feeling, privacy, rest, relaxation, and deep sleep at Casa Isabel.

And last but not least -- Beverly Taylor is one of the most brilliant body workers I've ever had. Every year I wait to have bodywork with Bev. She is the best. I've been to Esalen Institute and traveled all over the world. I came to Yelapa this year with a 10 week old/ mending broken leg -- and I also got hit by a wave while on a distant beach, which hurt my knee and frightened me greatly as I worried I might have re-injured my leg. Bev checked me thoroughly and put me back together a couple times while I was there, to the amazement of my women's group. They watched me hobble up to Bev's and walk gingerly back! When I got home and went to my doctor, he said, "you had excellent attention, and your acupressurist was totally correct in her diagnosis." There are no words to describe the value of being at Casa Isabel... it's mind, soul, body, spirit rejuvenating.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Isabel? Share your experiences!