“a lucky find” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Ottershaw, United Kingdom
“a lucky find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We popped in on our way to the polo on the recommendation of friends --what a great fund. A bit off the main road and parking is in the street. A charming country pub that has been done up beautifully by the young friendly couple who have the lease. We were lucky to get a table so that I would advise anyone wanting to visit to book, particularly if you are four or more. A selective,innovative and well priced menu with a selection of light dishes for lunch. Food very well presented by a talented young chef and delicious. The staff are well informed and attentive and make you very welcome. One of the best pub/restuarants we have visited -- we couldn't have asked for more A bit of a drive for us for a meal but one we will certainly be taking again and hopefully again.

86% Recommend
Hadlow, United Kingdom
“Great old coaching inn - one of the nicest we found”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

After an extensive trawl through the many 'best pub' guides that are now available online, we discovered this little gem at Tillington. Easy to miss, mind you, as it is up the hill just off the main road. We arrived moments before a large wedding party descended on the place, which was unfortunate for us but more so for them as it was just about to rain...
Very friendly staff, great atmosphere, nice food, good choice of beers. What more can you ask for?

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I visited the horse guards with my family for a friday light lunch, because we have previously enjoyed a lovely meals there, so were of course expecting the high standards which the Horse Guards are continually being praised for. However, we were very disappointed, the food took over forty five minutes to arrive, and when it did one meal contained a very over cooked part and a completely under- done part. Considering we were one of the first tables to order, we thought this was highly unacceptable. The other dishes we had were good but having waited so long anything would have tasted good. Also the service standards have dropped considerably. I hope that it returns to the quality pub it has always been.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
west sussex
“Delicious meal, lovely setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I went here for my birthday on the recommendation of several friends, and had delicious meal - wild mushrooms on toast followed by featherblade steak which just fell apart, with rosemary and garlic mash, vegetables and a lovely gravey. Perfect. The house white was also very drinkable. The pub had a lovely, cosy, relaxed atmosphere and great views over the Downs. The waitresses were very friendly and the service was excellent. My husband had scallops followed by steak which were also very good.

However, the downside for me, and the reason why I have rated it 4 not 5, was the lack of choice on the menu. I don't know how often it changes but there was only one starter on the menu I could eat - not being a lover of snails, rabbit or black pudding which were some of the other options! There was a bit more choice on the mains, but it is a bit too game-oriented for me. The pudding menu had only 3 options plus icecream and none of them grabbed me which would have been a great disappointment had I not already been full! I was also surprised that there were no specials on the board.

It was nice to see all their local suppliers listed on the boards though. Prices are quite high but so is the quality of the food so you pay for what you get.

• Visited May 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub/restaurant with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

This is situated on a hill opposite a church. The building is old and very picturesque. There are local beers on tap which my husband enjoys, but I couldn't comment on as I don't drink beer. The food is local produce and fresh. I think that they grow vegetables in the back yard for the restaurant, or certainly herbs. They also keep chickens for fresh eggs. This is a lovely place to come for a roast Sunday lunch, or in the evening for a meal. We justs love it here.

Visited April 2012