“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I booked to stay here last minute as due to be in the area for work. Not one for B&Bs I was a little anxious however the write ups on here gave a good review overall. When I arrived the booking site I used hadn't actually confirmed the room with the Halfway Bridge. This however was not made an issue by them and they swiftly took care of the situation. The lovely gentleman took my details and checked me into a room. He took me and my luggage over to the room and couldn't have been more helpful in showing me the rooms facilities and pointed out things like how to turn the towel rail on and off, the wifi, and where everything is. I settled in and then went over to the pub later in the evening. The manager was very helpful and was apologetic over the mix up, even though I hadn't mentioned anything. He seemed to know me and the situation. Being a lone female traveller he asked where I felt comfortable being sat and gave me options of being within the main bar area or out if the way. The service was brilliant and the food exceeded my expectations. The ox cheeks are highly recommended. The accommodation (room 6) was gorgeous. The bed was incredibly comfy, the room was very quiet and after a nice soak in the huge bath I slept like a log. The next morning I was greeted with a large cafetiere of fresh coffee and chose a cooked breakfast from the good selection from the menu. There was also a good range of cereals, yoghurt and fresh fruit and juices etc on offer. The high standards of service from the night before were continued in the morning and the breakfast was delicious. Although I was in the area for work, I would definitely come back and stay for a short break with my other half.... And next time I am in the area will definitely consider this place again. Absolutely highly recommended - thank you so much for looking after me.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We have just had a night at the Halfway Bridge. Our room - 6 - was beautifully kitted out, and very spacious. The meal in the restaurant was delicious and there was a comprehensive wine list.
Everyone we spoke to were friendly and helpful. The whole event couldnt be faulted.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Swansea, Wales, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We visited the Halfwaybridge Inn as part of a party of 12 friends.

Check-in was easy and efficient. We were shown to our rooms a 100 yards or so up a tarmaced lane at the rear of the pub. There was space immediately outside the rooms for 4 cars with further space around the back. Regards the location of the rooms you are given a wind up torch to make the walk at night. They were not particularly effective and disappeared after the first night. A house at the side of the lane did however have a proximity sensor on an outdoor light as does the building containing the rooms. Both these were very effective, but if you are keen for bright illumination you may want to take your own torch.

The rooms varied in size (and price) from the (I assume very large) suite to cosy doubles. Our party was allocated the non suite rooms – as we had ordered. Rooms 6 (our room) and 3 were the bigger of these rooms.

Furnishings in all of the rooms was to a high quality. Room 6 was particularly nice. Very large in size with a bed settee and armchair. The rooms had a fridge with complementary fresh milk each day, tea and coffee making facilities, an iron and ironing board. The bathroom was similarly spacious (without the sofa and armchair). It did however have a corner bath. Looks nice but not the most comfortable to lie in. The shower was however excellent and although we had plenty of hot water I do seem to remember one of our group complaining of a shortage of the stuff at one point. Rooms also had umbrellas which were handy to walk to the pub and back. Room 6 also had a spectacular glass sided wall looking out onto greenery – not the most impressive country view but pleasant nonetheless.

Rooms were warm to the point you turned the heating off on occasion although to be fair it was not the coldest of weather when we stayed.

The pub itself seems to be part bar/part restaurant nooks and crannies. We were allocated a lower room where a table for 12 was set up. 12 was a little bit of a crush, 10 would be more comfortable but I suspect it would be difficult to create any more space there.

Beer was very good. There was a choice of 3 real ales – Hip Hop, Doombar and Half way to Heaven. Price of Doombar was about £3.65.

Nice log fires at various places throughout the establishment.

Good choice of food at reasonable prices for the kind of pub we are talking about. I have seen cheaper meals but then again more expensive ones too. Food quality was very good with varying specials on each of the nights we stayed. It was pointed out to us that the number of portions of the specials was limited – that is why they are specials, and as we were to be found in the bar late afternoon we were able to pre-order.

Staff at the Inn were very friendly and efficient. Particular thanks to Amy and Ian who both put with a crowd of noisy Welsh people and provided excellent service.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and anticipate returning next year! My wife instructs me I must say “we would give it a 4½ if we could”. I prefer to stick to the rules and say it was a 4 not a 5.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Bognor Regis, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Cannot fault the room, it was beautiful. Only down point was the hot water run out whilst running the bath. Had a meal in the hotels restaurant. When ordering a male member of staff suggested we not sit in the main restaurant area and sit in main bar area. This felt quite rude as we are a young couple and felt he didn't want us to sit with his upper class guests. Sat in restaurant anyway. Meal was fine, quite pricey for what it was. During the night my partner was very unwell, we can only assume from the food. When checking out we mentioned this to the same gentleman from the evening. He was so unsympathetic it was unreal! Said he had eaten the same and was fine. Said he wanted us to prove it by going to the drs and getting blood and stool samples done! Really? We didn't want a free room or anything but a simple goodwill gesture would have been nice opposed to accusations of lying. Would also like to point out that when I was sat in my car I saw 2 members of their kitchen staff outside spitting repeatedly on the grounds, charming!

• Stayed February 2014
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We had to take a 3 day break during a period of very wet and windy weather. Not the ideal time of year to venture out but our stay at the Halfway Bridge turned into a delight.

Room 6 had everything you could wish for in terms of comfort and style. Originally we thought that we would not bother to eat "in house" on all the 3 evenings, but after our first meal we changed our minds and looked forward to every day and what new joy it would bring us! The evening menu is quite wide ranging and there was always a new something on the Specials Board just to widen the choice. The staff all gave the impression that they enjoyed their work and wanted to ensure that nothing was ever too much trouble. The restaurant is split up into small cosy areas, so you do not feel that you are eating in a barn, which just adds to the impression that you are somewhere special.

It was noticeable that every evening there were "local" people either drinking at the bar, having a bar meal or in the reastaurant. Clearly if you live nearby, you know that this is the place to go to and are happy to visit on a cold, wet and windy January evening. That observation says everything necessary about the Halfway Bridge!

Room Tip: Room 6 has one wall made of glass looking out on to a wood and open countryside. This makes the room...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed last Saturday night. The staff were all very welcoming and friendly. Lovely comfortable room. The food in the restaurant was good if a little over priced. The breakfast was lovely. A really special find.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We visited the Halfway Bridge for a two-night getaway immediately after our wedding (so, a sort of pre-Honeymoon if you will). Upon arrival we were greeted by a very cheerful manageress from Canada and given the key to our room which was a suite located a few yards away in a separate building. The building which comprised the suite and other rooms was an old stables with its own courtyard and very peaceful with a good amount of seclusion to add to the restful ambience. It's probably worth noting that when staying there you are given a wind-up torch as it is a very dark pathway between the pub and the stables so some illumination is needed! It is very much rural in its location so be prepared to either do a lot of walking through fields (if not relaxing in your room/suite and listening to birdsong) and along footpaths and bridleways or travel should you wish to explore the wider area.

Our suite was very well decorated and very spacious, making use of original features where possible and complementing them with lots of glass on the courtyard side to bring light in as well as high quality fixtures and fittings. The only issue we had was with the heating in the bedroom - there was an incessant clanging throughout our second night which interrupted our sleep quite severely. We mentioned it on checkout and hope that it is resolved the next time we stay there.

Food at the Halfway Bridge is very good, from our experience we would describe it as quality gastropub fare, so a bit beyond the usual establishments with illusions of grandeur but not the ability to carry it through but not out-and-out restaurant level. For the type of establishment and location, though, this works perfectly well. The wine list is worth a mention as it is quite extensive and well priced too.

Overall we would recommend this as both a good place to eat and drink and also one to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Halfway Bridge Inn? Share your experiences!