“food is lovely, staff are perfect.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 22 Restaurants in Petworth
Cuisines: British, Family Fare, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Our menu bursts with locally sourced and seasonal ingredients. Fish, game and traditional English and Mediterranean dishes. There is always something to excite the appetite A simple but elegant decor includes fabulous open fires, with dining offered in a choice of intimate nooks. In good weather alfresco dining on our pretty terrace or in the sheltered garden is idyllic. Small group bookings are easily accommodated in one of several private dining rooms. A connoisseur's wine list complements the menu, including local sparkling wines. Many are served by the glass to help you discover a favourite! A fine selection of Sussex ales is also available.
petworth
“food is lovely, staff are perfect.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

they got a little expensive but its worth the wait and the food is well worth the money just a shame they are following the serve it on a wooden board trend.

Visited March 2013

Lyndhurst, United Kingdom
“Weekend break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were looking for a weekend away - somewhere to brighten a cold and damp February - good food, attentive service, log fires and stress free. This seemed to fit the bill.

On arrival there was a wonderful aroma coming from the kitchen and this helped with our decision to stay 'in house' for dinner.

The barns are across the road fromn the main pub building and a short walk up a side road however a set of lights on a sensor guides the way as it is very dark. The room (suite) was lovely and warm and wll appointed.

On the plus side - comfy bed, nicely decorated, excellent stereo, good quality TV, huge bath which fills very quickly, locally produced amenities, fridge, good quality furniure and cafetiere coffee.

Potential to improve - stick a TV in the bedroom as well, bigger sachets of freshly ground coffee(to match the size of the cafetiere) towelling robes to lounge around in and a more uptodate and wide selection of DVD;s for the DVD player.

We took dinner on both nights, one lunch and of course breakfast on both mornings.My partner has Coeliacs and was well catered for including the pub providing gluten free rolls on the first night - the rest of time we used her own bread which we took with us. The menu is not cheap however all the food appeared to be freshly prepared and there was excellent attention to detail both in preparation and service - so good value for the money.

Service is not automatically addred to the bill - refreshing!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
simonhutch
“Perfect place for a Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I think this is the 5th or 6th time we have been to the Halfway Bridge which is either a sign that I'm getting stuck in my ways or that the pub is a pretty reliable spot to stay. Hopefully it’s not the former but I'll keep an eye on that.

Always get a great lunch here - it’s perhaps not the warmest welcome, there is for instance never any small talk with the staff BUT the menu and the food are great. Highlights on this trip were the flight of local beers all served in 1/3 pint glasses which worked perfectly with the fish, the beef and (oddly) the trifle.

Overall I'd say give this place a go if you are in the area - and make sure you get some of their olives which are the best I've had in the UK. Next time we hope to stay over so I can also have them for my breakfast.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Nice place. I specifically asked for a table away from other people (I am not antisocial........but you know what I mean!) and ended up with a small table for two, by the bar and near the door to the loos! They could probably tell I was a fusspot (but I don't care!!) and I said I would do a trip advisor review but they still stuck us on this weird table. Either the chairs are too low or the tables too high but eating was a little more of an effort than normal. It just wasn't the right height!

Staff were ok (usual young student types) and were adequate!

Menu was quite good. We both had the special of roast beef. They said it was rare and I said I would like the "outside bits" as I do not do "rare".

Well...........it came almost raw!!! My partner tucked in and I managed to get it down. I am the client and should have the way I want surely!! NOT the way the chef wants to do it for me!

The veg and stuff was fine. Nice glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc!

The pudding menu was good. I had treacle tart with Ice Cream and Lemon Possett. The Ice Cream and Lemon were excellent. But the Treacle Tart was either 1. Old or 2. Stale but whatever, it was pretty tasteless. Er, it did not taste of treacle and I really think it should!

The whole thing was "ok" and would go back again.

There were one of two "Hooray Henry" polo types from Cowdray Park who thought they owned the place but we managed to ignore them and the loud gaffaws!

Happy days!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Portsmouth
“Good yeah, good but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I dined recently with some friends who were all impressed, so I am in the minority.
I felt that the quality of the food was good but not excellent and I am undecided if it was in the main freshly prepared. I had battered cod cheeks as a starter. Now I know cod can reach pretty hefty sizes but obviously their cheeks never do, so my own fault really. I had about seven battered cheeks which consisted of 10% fish and 90% rather greasy batter and therefore disappointing. Rather cleverly this place provides some individual touches which help distract from the quality. So my cod cheeks were served in an individual bucket with a mini individual jar of tartare, a nice touch and makes the diner feel special(nothing wrong in that).
Somewhat the same as my belly pork which followed with an individual sauce and I had a suspicion that it was probably pre prepared frozen, but the quality was good, although it lacked vegetables which were an extra charge if required.Why do restaurants do this ??
My friends including a chef were impressed so hence the very good mark, but my own rating is average and the Halfway needs to review its food quality.

• Visited August 2012