“Some good points but overall a bit mediocre” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cisswood House

You added Cisswood House to your Saves list
Cisswood House
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Sandygate Lane, Lower Beeding, Horsham RH13 6NF, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
London, United Kingdom
“Some good points but overall a bit mediocre”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed at Cisswood on a Secret Escapes deal which gave us bed, breakfast and afternoon tea for £99 per night. I've just looked on the website and see that bed and breakfast for the same room would be £160 without afternoon tea - had I paid that I would have been seriously unhappy.

Good points: the communal areas are pleasant, wood panelled and comfortable. The staff we met (all women) were very cheerful and friendly. The room was quiet (once the gym, which was directly underneath, had closed) so we weren't disturbed overnight.

The not so good: we had room 32 which has been pretty accurately described by another reviewer as frankly poor quality. Additional comments I would add are that the first sight on entering the room is a cheap chipboard wardrobe which is missing its pedestal so that the doors drag on the carpet when you try to open them, and in addition to the chipped and grubby paintwork a large chunk of paper and plaster was missing from the ceiling. The mattress and pillows felt like blocks of concrete. The whole room was pretty unwelcoming, and as has already been stated, a long way from reception down a warren of corridors all of which are dreary and look more like the back stairs for the staff than anything guests should see. Because of the distance from reception the wifi signal was very weak. Given only 6 rooms were occupied that night, I really question why we had been banished to Siberia unless the hotel resents people booking through Secret Escapes.

The afternoon tea was fairly uninspiring - an odd number of sandwiches for 2 people (3 each of 3 varieties), whipped cream instead of clotted cream for the scones, and the cakes consisted of 2 brownies and 2 cupcakes. The tea was brown water with no taste whatsoever. The scones, surprisingly were lovely - warm and fluffy, the real highlight. Had we paid £12.50 per person we would have been ripped off quite frankly. Breakfast was better although the selection of fruit was very small and for some reason only my husband got black pudding (he was a gentleman and shared).

So in total, is this a luxurious country hotel (as claimed by the hotel website)? Not in my opinion, too many corners have been cut and expense spared for any feeling of luxury (although in fairness it is in the country). I would have given 1 star but for the lovely staff.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I received this stay as a free gift through my insurance company so can't say too much but I will start with the positives. The staff on check-in/out were very friendly and welcoming, and the main house is full of character with lovely open fires and original furniture. I can't comment on the food though, as we choose to dine elsewhere in the evening, and did not take breakfast as our stay did not include it, and £13pp is very expensive for a self-service breakfast buffet and poor continental selection.

Now the negatives, the hotel is huge and our room must have been one of the furthest from reception, when we eventually got there and we found the room was spacious but the decor was very worn, with peeling paintwork and cup stains on the side tables, mismatched furniture and a view straight onto a wall. The bed was very comfortable though, and we couldn't complain as it was free, however if I had been paying for it I certainly would have had something to say. It is worth noting though that I have a feeling we were given a 'bargain basement' type room as we were not paying, as it was one of the only rooms in the hotel with a key to lock and unlock the door, rather than a card, and was directly above the gym which woke us up, so the above comments may not be applicable to all rooms.

Now the leisure club, this was just a bit embarrassing to be honest. The hotel is a 4* and looks quite grand in the pictures, but the pool area is a really let down. You have to walk through the gym to get to the desk (not sure why they don't put the desk by the entrance?). The changing rooms, although nicely done out are tiny with no cubicles to change in, and no hooks in any of the showers or toilets for your clothes should you wish to change in there, so you have no choice but to strip off in front of other guests, however I was lucky and had the changing rooms to myself. The pool itself is tiny, and the whole area is very shabby with mismatched plastic chairs, an above ground garden type hot tub which was no where near warm enough, and a stand-alone sauna in one corner.

To sum up, this hotel could be fantastic if a little more time was spent on the decor of the rooms, sprucing up the leisure club and improving the breakfast offerings, but until then we will not be back.

Room Tip: Not room 32, very shabby and directly above the gym!
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have just spent a weekend break through Secret Escapes at Cisswood House hotel with some friends. The weekend could not have been better. Two members are disabled. they had excellent, thoughtful and helpful support from the staff all of whom were incredibly friendly and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. the rooms were excellent, especially the two disabled rooms. the food was good and the breakfast scrumptious. I really cannot recommend this hotel enough. It also has beautiful grounds which would be lovely in the summer. very easy to get too as well and great parking. The whole experience was a joy.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My boyfriend booked a night for us at Cisswood House through Secret Escapes as a birthday treat for me. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out to be much of a treat at all. A few days after booking our deal (which was supposed to include dinner and breakfast) we realised we'd double-booked ourselves and were meant to go an event that evening in Bexhill, which would mean we couldn't have our included dinner. I rang the hotel to ask if we could possibly have lunch instead, to which the girl at the hotel said that for Secret Escapes deals, they would only serve us after 6 PM. This wouldn't have worked for us at all, so I asked what time the dinner menu normally starts being served, and was told that they actually start serving it at lunch time... I found this pretty inflexible and unaccommodating of the hotel, considering we would have eaten the exact same meal for dinner as for lunch, so what the difference was I have no idea.
We decided to wait until the day of our arrival to bring it up again, and the woman at the desk only said "Oh well that's too bad, we'll just cancel your dinner reservation then." Considering how much we paid, I would think that a complimentary bottle of wine would be the least they could offer us, but no such gesture was made.
Our experience only worsened when we got into our room. The decor throughout the hotel is seriously outdated, with a great deal of chipped paint and rusty door hinges throughout, and our room was sadly no different. The bed was just two singles zipped together (always uncomfortable) and the rest of the decor was tired and dreary. This is more a corporate stopover than a destination for a romantic weekend. Add to this that the hotel directly overlooks a main road, and the view we had from our window was a car park, and you definitely don't have the formula for a couples' getaway. Apparently the normal rate for the room we stayed in plus breakfast is £214 per night, which is absolutely extortionate for what you get.
I was hoping that breakfast would improve our opinion of Cisswood House, but unfortunately that wasn't the case at all. A buffet breakfast awaited us this morning, with egg beaters used for the scrambled eggs (mushy and gross) and some poor quality sausages. As a vegetarian, the only options for me were eggs and baked beans. It wouldn't have been too hard to produce some hash browns or vegetarian sausages, or even better quality eggs (poached would have been nice) but apparently those things are beyond this hotel's reach.
Cisswood House has the potential to be a great deal nicer than it is. Were it to be refurbished and offer better quality customer service, I would consider staying there again. As it is, however, we will not be returning.

Travelers are raving about these Lower Beeding hotels

Pulborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My fiancé and I are currently visiting on the country hotels in West Sussex and Cisswood House was our 3rd. Overall it was very relaxed and pleasant, it was what we wanted with a pool and spa, food was not too expensive and the rooms were also affordable. The location was lovely, just a short drive from Horsham and not too far from Brighton- which we visited whilst staying, but yet its country side atmosphere remained with plenty of near by woodland walks available which was so picturesque this Autumn.

The spa and pool was a great aspect, quite a lot of comparable hotels lack this feature such as South Lodge. Although the idea of the pool and spa is great we hoped to actually be able to visit it whenever throughout the duration of our stay. We were disappointed to find it was sometimes closed and has rather early closing times.

We ate at the hotel for most meals but by our last day we had no option to venture out because we actually wanted some efficient service! The average food was accompanied by poor service which is such a let down as this hotel has so much potential. The food was good and what you'd expect, but like many areas of the hotel, nothing over stepped the expectation mark.

Our room was a double bedroom with a beautiful view out on to the garden, it was stunning and the autumnal colours made it so much more cosy. However, I dread to think how unpleasant a room would be if it faced onto one of the two busy roads outside. Our room was clean on our return from breakfast every morning with fresh sheets and towels which is really appreciated and mandatory in a high priced hotel like this. The room attendants were very friendly and made conversation, unlike some of the reception staff.

Overall not a bad stay but we would like to see the expectation mark over stepped once in a while and for basic services to be met, for example efficient and hospitable service and an open spa! We hope to return when these basics have been amended.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

We attended a Murder Mystery weekend at Cisswood House Hotel and found that the age and character of the hotel lent itself perfectly to the experience. All the staff were friendly and helpful which added to the relaxed,easy going atmosphere.The food and wine were very good and well priced. If you are looking for a hotel in the area but want something that is a bit different from the usual Gatwick Corporates then you could do alot worse. Fully recommended.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms above the swimming pool as they can get very warm,particularly in the summer.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this review, November 7, 2014
Dear Guest

I am so glad you enjoyed the most recent Murder Mystery event we held at the hotel.

I thank you for your Kind words and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Many thanks once again.
Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

Had to pick my sister up from Gatwick the other night and I couldn't face 2 trips on the M25 so decided to stay in the area for the night, called and spoke to Nicky who was so helpful and kind. We we arrived check in was swift and we loved the character of the hotel. It was late so didn't do much apart from having a quick snoop around, popped into the gym which would be ideal for a business visit.
The twin room 18 had a huge sofa and spacious bathroom. What more could you ask for? Clean linen, clean bathroom, freeview, free wifi and ample parking!
Breakfast in the morning was delicious with great range, Service by Brandon and Angelic was good. They have treatment rooms which I wish I had the time to use as the treatment menu in the room looked good! Victoria in the gym was very helpful too.
Sadly these days everyone considers themselves a 'hotel inspector' and want blood for their money. I bet half of these reviewers and experts on this site who pick apart hotels have dirty linen and dog hair imbedded in their carpets, I've seen enough homes to know the truth.
Don't expect the Ritz decor and amenities if you aren't staying at the Ritz and paying their prices. What you will get here is country feel and good simple value.

Room Tip: The main building has charming period rooms, but ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Dear Gas_85_13

Thank you taking the time to write such an unfeigned review.
Myself and the team were delighted to read your comments.
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will return to enjoy the facilities in full.

Thank you once again.

Been to Cisswood House? Share your experiences!