“Wished we had stayed longer....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of South Lodge Hotel

You added South Lodge Hotel to your Saves list
South Lodge Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Brighton Road, Lower Beeding, Horsham RH13 6PS, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
London
“Wished we had stayed longer....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We celebrated my brother's birthday with the tasting menu in the hotel's modern, chic dining-room adjacent to the bright busy open kitchen. The service was superb but unobtrusive, the food delicious. Unexpected additions such as the amuse bouche and petit fours complemented the dinner. Breakfast the following day was made to order and was equally good.
Our room, Montclair (532) was at the back of the hotel and huge with spectacular views of the tree-spotted, purple hilled South Downs and contained all the trappings of a luxury hotel and more;excellent sound system, robes, slippers and iron. Our bathroom was almost the same size and contained a flat screen TV which you could watch while in the bath. Unfortunately we did not have time to explore the gardens which looked beautiful from the window of our room. The hotel has many lounges and seating areas so although there were a lot of people staying it never felt over-crowded. Such a shame we only had one night here......

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear AlstroemeriaLondon,

Thank you for your charming review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us at South Lodge. The Pass is quite an experience, it is great to read it didn’t disappoint.

What a pity you had to leave! We hope to welcome you back to your Sussex home in the not too distant future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed here recently for the second time with colleagues from Scandinavia who really enjoyed it. Massive room (and bathroom) full of period features but without being overwhelming. Staff were helpful and very polite. Not a cheap place to stay or eat (the Crabtree Pub down the road is good but pitch black walking at night!) but I thought it worth the cost. The hotel is not far from Horsham or the South Coast and easy reach of Gatwick although a car really helps. Lovely and extensive grounds. All in all a really fantastic hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear RSAJA,

Many thanks for your wonderful review and for choosing to stay with us again.

The team at South Lodge pride themselves on recognising our returning guests and also ensuring that they want for nothing during their time with us.We were all sorry to see you go and do hope that you will return before too long so that you can enjoy all South Lodge has to offer.

Best wishes,

Croydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel has service that is just about as good as you can get. The staff are all enthusiastic and professional. The deluxe room we were allocated overlooked a roofscape looking east but the room facilities were so good that the view didn't matter. As it turned out the early morning sun flooding in the windows was a bonus and the remoteness of the room ensured total peace and quiet. Period features on one wall of the room that used to be the outside wall of the original Hotel gave the room some extra charm and the enormous bathroom with hisn'hers basins, bath etc and a shower / steam room was the icing on the cake. The entrance corridor had a large wardrobe, luggage area, safe and excellent tea and coffee making facilities. The bed was huge with, unfortunately, those ridiculously soft pillows that seem fashionable at the moment. Luckily a Pillow Selection is available. Breakfast can be taken on the terrace, weather permitting, but the wasps in late August were a distraction. The restaurants will be reviewed separately. A heavenly 2 night stay - and then the checkout is where it all fell apart.
We were on a Voyage Privee offer that included evening meals. We had checked beforehand and confirmed with the checkin staff on arrival that if we ate in The Pass or a la carte in the Camellia restaurant then we would be able to enjoy an allowance equal to the value of the Market Menu. The bill was presented on Sunday morning with the full cost of both evening meals included and the checkout staff had no record of our booking arrangements with which to clarify our board basis. It quite spoilt the magic of the stay and should never have happened. This review ignores this fundamental error. Despite the checkout fiasco we would return.
If arriving by car from the south the hotel is well signposted however from the north it just flashes past you on the right with no warning. Slow down on the approach to Crabtree and be ready to turn right into South Lodge when the trees on the left finish and the houses start.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear KathIan999,

Many thanks for writing your review and for bestowing us with 5 stars!

Arboretum is one of my favourite rooms. It is completely out of the way and thus is wonderful if you are after complete relaxation. It has a heavenly bathroom with a steam room and some great original features as your rightly point out. Your photos do the room justice.

I am sorry for the issues you experienced at check-out. Sadly, my colleagues had failed to input the reservation correctly and thus the reception team were slightly flummoxed on your departure. That said, I am pleased we were able to resolve the issue and it did not have a too negative impact on your stay.

It was a pleasure to welcome you personally to South Lodge and I do hope I have that opportunity again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I got married at The South Lodge on July 6th 2013 and we could not have asked for a better weekend. Our first wedding venue closed down and although it was very stressful our wedding coordinator at the South Lodge (Jen) helped us to feel calm from our first meeting - we knew from then it was the right venue for us. Many of my American family came over for the wedding and it ended up being perfect - many of them stayed in the cottage they have on site and this worked out as a cheaper option and they were able to hang out & eat together. This was the Bothy Cottage and it had a lovely garden, a huge kitchen with an AGA, a large dining room and a huge sitting room - the bathrooms were not as advanced as the ones in the main hotel but this was worth it for the space we had. We used this on the Sunday after the wedding to hang out and it worked perfectly. I stayed in the South Lodge for 4 nigths in the Monarch room and it was pure luxury - huge bathroom, lovely views, huge bedroom and a huge sitting room. I could go on and on abuot how much I love the South Lodge and the wedding is a different story in itself. But to sum it up I would highly reccomend it - great staff and the best service I have ever recieved anywhere - they went out to get me eye drops on the mornig of my wedding from the local chemist as I had red eyes! Nothing was too much for them and they made all of my guests feel very welcome - the Americans will be talking of the South Lodge for many years to come. The food itself was worth the trip. Many Many thanks to all of the staff at The South Lodge for making my weekend the best one ever.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Anneka W,

Many many congratulations on your perfect wedding day. I do hope you had a super honeymoon and married life is treating you well.

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with TripAdvisor. It means a lot to us all that your wedding went so well and were able to play a part in it.

We really do try and be there for our guests and we endeavour to go the extra mile to ensure they have a memorable time. I was delighted to learn a colleague went out to buy eye drops in your moment of need.

I do hope we will see you at South Lodge before too long to relive some very special memories.
Kindest regards,

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I booked a Friday night stay on a Waitrose offer which was DBB in a Junior suite ie not their basic room. We were in one of the modern rooms (top floor - all named after butterflies). Very friendly and chatty young lady on reception showed us to our room - luggage following 5 minutes later. Car park is 2/300 yards from hotel but valet parking is available as their is plenty of "drop off" space at the front of the hotel. Excellent large bed room and bathroom - his and hers sinks, deep bath with TV at one end and separate large walk in shower. Our friends stayed in the room next door and their room and bathroom were slightly different in layout. Large comfortable bed. Free Wi-Fi. Public rooms were well decorated and furnished and comfortable.

Our rate included the Market Menu for dinner but we all had at least one course from the a la carte, which of course is added to the bill. Food was excellent and very well presented. Wine list has quite a good choice at all price levels - but mark up is generous. However several good wines are available at under £50. I would say however that this is a 5 star hotel restaurant and prices are competitive in its peer group.

Breakfast - excellent "cold" buffet with table service for hot items - again lovely food!

All staff we spoke with were friendly and quietly efficient and attentive; both Friday night and breakfast were busy and the staff coped well.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would go back again - but only on an "offer" basis as the normal price is a bit above our normal budget.

An excellent 5 star country house hotel which I would recommend for a special occasion or chill out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear winerunner52,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are all thrilled by your comments and delighted that throughout your stay you felt at home.

It is always lovely to see that a guest has felt completely pampered during their time with us as our team pride themselves on looking after each and every one of our guests. Your Junior Suite sounds sumptuous too.

We all hope that you will return to South Lodge before too long so that we can take care of you once again.

Warmest regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have visited South Lodge for various events and every time the staff have been friendly and welcoming and the food excellent. I have dined in the restaurant for a special occasion with my husband, enjoyed afternoon tea with friends and had great fun on the Ladies Lunches that they have held regularly. The lunches are all excellent and great value, including a glass of wine (and even champagne for tasting at one of the lunches) the food is delicious and the guest speaker interesting with varied themes to choose from and a wonderful Christmas Lunch event too. This is a beautiful, old hotel set within lovely gardens and overlooking the South Downs with breathtaking views to be enjoyed for the summer - there's always a reason to go to South Lodge one day I would love to stay there too! (Just so I can review the rooms and service of course)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear EsmeWx,

Thank you so much for positively reviewing your many visits to South Lodge.

I am pleased you have always had a positive experience whilst with us be it a special dinner, afternoon tea, or indeed the ladies lunch events.

Our next ladies lunch is being held on Monday 7th October. Our ladies lunch on Monday 16th December features guest speaker June Whitfield! Please do give us a call if you wish to join us.

Kindest regards,

Pulborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Afternoon tea today as a belated treat for my birthday accompanied by my daughter. We used the voucher I had been given.

I booked for 2.30pm and our choice of tea to drink arrived promptly but the food was another 25 minutes. We were advised we could have extra of any item. We were ravenous and polished off the finger sandwiches at speed and were encouraged by a waitress to order more, so we chose two fillings we particularly liked. It was almost 45 minutes before they arrived and then after we reminded the waitress! By this time we had tucked into the scones and some of the pastries and the 'flow' of savoury to sweet had been broken. We also had to order more tea as the first pot was 'stewed' after such a long delay.

The sandwiches were lovely and the scones were fresh and warm, we would have preferred 'cake' to the delicate pastries and to our surprised when we had finished we were offered a slice of home-made cake from a selection of 3 which were on a sideboard at the other end of the room!

We had spotted these cakes and hadn't seen any being cut so assumed that perhaps they were not real! We did take a piece of one of them home with us in a box but declined the offer to take the uneaten scone and pastries with us.

We will return and now we know the format, having read other reviews, will enjoy the experience more.

There was a wedding reception being held elsewhere in the hotel, perhaps this was the reason for the slow service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Marion M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and a happy belated birthday!

I am pleased to read you had a pleasant experience whilst with us. I am delighted the sandwiches, scones, and pastries were enjoyable and you had the opportunity to have refills. We do like to offer our guests something to take away. Hayley, one of our bakers is rightly proud of her cakes and they are great to take away to enjoy later.

I will pass your comments onto Lisette, our Bar, Lounge and Terrace Manager and Lewis, our Executive Chef as we are always striving to improve the service we offer our guests. Rest assured, the wedding taking place would not have had any effect on the speed of service as our conference and banqueting and our bar, lounge and terrace teams operate separately.

I am so happy you will be returning and I do hope I have the opportunity to say hello.

Operations Manager

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!