“Very good hotel with a few flaws” 4 of 5 stars
Review of South Lodge Hotel

You added South Lodge Hotel to your Saves list
South Lodge Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Brighton Road, Lower Beeding, Horsham RH13 6PS, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London UK
“Very good hotel with a few flaws”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Stayed 1 night in Monarch master suite- this is largest and best suite in hotel and is very well appointed as well as being huge- bathroom is larger than some flats I have lived in! Really felt special having the space and luxurious decor etc. As unseasonably warm April day enjoyed drinks on the terrace in the afternoon and had dinner at Camelia. This is perhaps were the hotel falls down slightly as the service and food are not particularly polished but prices are almost "fine dining" high. The lack of polish was continued in the service throughout to be honest and whilst it was good enough lacked that level of customer service that separates good hotels form great ones. Since we were guests in the best suite one might have expected the reception staff to ask if we had a good time and were planning to return etc but nothing - just handed over bill and that was that. Not in the same league as other Exclusive Hotels we have stayed at but nonetheless enjoyable with lovely grounds. Lack of a spa a downside too.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

For my 30th, we hired out The Bothy, which is owned and found in the grounds of South Lodge Hotel. It was great for us having a family get togethers, as all the facilities of the main hotel, yet independent too.
They had put in special chocolates and a card for me, and had so much food left for breakfast that we took a lot of it home. We ate in the hotel for breakfast though (included), so definitely a great deal.
It works out an awful lot cheaper than staying in the hotel too, but is a gorgeous setting and would love to go back very soon.
The hotel has some lovely grounds, tennis courts etc and we had a great time playing there and sitting together in the grounds with a nice drink or two.
Would love to go back and can't wait to book.

Room Tip: Arrive first and pick the room upstairs with the ensuite.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

We had our wedding reception at South Lodge on Sunday August 7th this year. I cannot praise the place highly enough. Nicola, our wedding planner was wonderful every step of the way, nothing was too much trouble. I knew we had made the right decision when we went for our tasting, and we were given a private room, and they had printed personal menus for us. We were treated like royalty and I will never forget that experience. On the wedding day itself, everything was perfect, and people are still talking about the beauty of the place, the fabulous staff, the "best food they had ever had". Our room was beautiful. It really is the place of dreams. I could bang on and on about how fabulous South Lodge is but I think you get the gist!

Room Tip: The Godman suite is to die for and has a hot tub on a private terrace
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Andrew C, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear Lucy A,
Thank you for having having taken the time to post your comments. My team and I are delighted that you and your guests enjoyed a memorable occassion to mark your wedding day.
Again, Congratulations to you both. I look forward to welcoming you both back for your anniversary.
Best wishes,
Andrew Crompton
Operations Manager
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

There is not really much more to say. The hotel is stunning, very quiet, fantastic views over the South Downs.
My room had a king size bed with very soft cotton sheets, ample hanging space, water bottles next to the bed. Speciality teas and coffee on a tray.
Bathroom with two sinks, stand-alone tub and walk-in rain shower.
Breakfast did not disappoint either. Crisp looking breakfast room, good buffet choice and outstanding sausages.
I can’t praise this hotel enough. It is the sort of hotel other, especially large chain hotels, pretend to be but never are.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Surrey, U.K.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I concur with the other favourable reviews written about South Lodge Hotel. My mother and I stayed here 21st - 23rd Sept. and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

The building is massive. Some up-to-date photos may not show its full size. Older photos certainly would not as there are now two new wings - at least one of which, I was told, was built as recently as 2006 - so this place is neither cosy nor intimate! In fact, my mother felt a little concerned as we were being shown through the corridors towards the new rooms. But as soon as we saw her suite - "Monarch", on the second floor - all her cares instantly disappeared. This suite has to be one of the best rooms in the hotel and is certainly the largest I have seen at any hotel. Even the bathroom, full of funky lights, is big - a free standing bath, a shower large enough for two, (or three or four), and a TV to complement the two others in the suite.

But with grounds like those at South Lodge, why would you want to stay all day in your room? The spectacular views across the fields and oak trees towards the South Downs proved too enticing for us and we went out for a walk straight after lunch. If you come here, make sure you book a south facing room, you'll regret it if you don't. Sympathetically decorated to a tradition style - but with modern features, with solid wood everywhere including doors which appeared as thick as any castle's, the new wing's interior complements the original building (although the difference in the colour of the masonry means you can "see the join" outside)!

After a very satisfying dinner on the first evening of our stay, my mother and I went for a wander as we weren't sure what amenities were on offer. My impression was that this hotel is committed to the needs of the conference visitor and there are a multitude of function rooms, of all different sizes, that can meet the requirements of delegates. But if you're staying for reasons of pleasure and not business, don't let that put you off - we didn't find it an intrusion.

You will find the staff here both professional and approachable. One of the receptionists even helped me, when I asked, and gave me the address, and route map, of a rival hotel! At South Lodge there are choices where you can sit and relax, where you can eat or have a drink. The menus ensure you're spoilt for choice, too. The rooms are spotless and have everthing you need. The bed I slept in was as comfortable, if not more comfortable, as my own. Despite the hotel's size, I don't believe there is a spa or indoor pool yet but as my mother and I aren't into those things it didn't matter. Didn't South Fork have an indoor pool, though? Oh, well, never mind.

Room Tip: A south-facing room is a must. Go for a large suite, if you can.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
wiltshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

overnight stay with a golf society .chosen cause it looked on the surface to be a great deal.the reality was that the golf course was great,way to good for some of us and there was no mistaking the hotels quality.its just that we were segregated from the main restaurant and bars and had to endure an evening of woeful food and absolutely ridiculous bar prices in soulless rooms unfit for purpose.business delegates meeting ok , social functions no siree.
mannings heath golf club is top notch, but the local premier inn will be way more fun !

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We'd be bought a voucher for afternoon tea at South Lodge as a "thank you" for taking some friends to the airport. We thought we'd wait until the weather was a little better, so visited towards the end of April.

We sat outside on the lawn overlooking the views south towards the Downs. Our waitress was really good, even moving the heavy parasol for us too. Food was very good - nice selection of sandwiches and cakes, plus scones with strawberry jam and cream :-). There was a good selection of teas, and I had a very nice coffee.

It wasn't something I would have done myself - £23/head was quite a lot - but as a gift it was very much appreciated and is something I might do for someone in the future.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!