“You get what you pay for...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Dessert, British, Grill, Family Fare
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
West Sussex, UK
“You get what you pay for...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've been here a few times for lunch now.
The service is just about quick enough to get, eat, pay and get back to work in time - just!
The food is nothing special but obviously tasty enough to get me to go back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at Harvester The Beech Hurst, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your visit. We really do appreciate your feedback.
Regards

Lewes, United Kingdom
“Average Food - Poor Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

"Seated quickly then pretty much ignored for the rest of the night" sums up our first visit to a Harvester.

Our table was by a fire escape that was being used to access the outside tables - eventually the banging doors and on/off draught became annoying.

Our waitress took our drinks order then... nothing for 1/4 hour. Finally the drinks arrived, delivered by another waitress who went to escape but we asked if we could order. Order placed and we grabbed our salad. Intriguingly a chef arrived at the salad bar just as I did and swapped a 4/5 full pot of tomatoes with a full pot of tomatoes. And these were only cut into quarters - why? Far too big in my opinion.

So we ate our salad and waited. Maybe they thought we wanted to visit the salad bar again so we made our bowls look 'finished' by putting in our used napkins (big mistake - see later!) but that didn't work. Half an hour later I had to grab the (I assume as he had no name badge) duty manager just as he came in the fire exit and ask him to remove our 'finished' bowls. We also chased our meals which, immediately, appeared sans cutlery.

No sign of any staff so I went and found a waitress, explaining that we were Harvester virgins and asking if we needed to collect our own cutlery. She then brought us cutlery with no apology and no napkins.

Same old story - no staff nearby so I stood up and found another waitress to obtain some napkins. My meal (burger) was still hot on my return and, in fairness, quite good! My wife's steak wrap was, in her words, a "bit limp" and not as good as the ones at home. And, amazingly, when we needed no additional assistance, out of nowhere a waitress appeared and asked if everything was OK. Yes we said in that very British manner we all adopt in restaurants.

So we finished our main courses and made our plates look 'finished' again in the hope that they would be collected. I stood up and went to the bar as the DIY Pepsi Max pump was broken. And there I stood for some time with staff passing back and forth in front of me with no acknowledgement. The duty manager saved the day by asking one of the waitresses to serve me. And on my return the plates were gone and the puddings were ordered.

Puddings arrived quickly and were equally quickly demolished but no napkins again. Luckily we had some 'wet wipes' left over from my last expedition so sticky fingers were speedily cleaned.

The next hurdle was a gift card with a tenner on it - our waitress needed help to extract the balance from it which a colleague did for her but we'd not seen the bill at this stage. Adjusted bill arrived and we quickly paid and left through the nearby fire exit. Needless to say we left no tip.

Overall we agreed the food wasn't special and the service was terrible. This was a relatively quiet Thursday - how would they manage on a busy Saturday night?

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
We are sorry that had disappointing service at our Harvester Restaurant and we do appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.
Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
“Good meal, service needs a little attention!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My family (2 adults & 2 children) visited the Beech Hurst to celebrate my wife's birthday. We arrived about 7pm on a Friday night & managed to park straight away.

I had telephoned the restaurant earlier to check on seating availability & was told that we would be seated straight away & to their word we were. However a family of 5 (with a wheelchair) arrived just before us & were told that they would have to wait 15 minutes, I can only assume that a special seating area needed to be freed up. Our table faced a window looking out onto the outside seating area & grass lawn.

Drinks were ordered almost straight away - good idea to opt for the refillable soift drinks for the children. Wine is expensive at £5 for a 250ml glass - especially as the wine my wife ordered is currently on offer at our local garage at £5 for a 750ml bottle!! I had a pint of cider.

I won't go into the menu detail as they are available to view online - we opted for Triple chicken (with mashed potatoes), Full rack of ribs (no fries etc but replaced with mushrooms & tomato), baby back ribs with fries & cheese/bacon burger with fries - the waitress took our order in detail as I could see what she was writing down as she stood next to me. I also ordered one starter - Creamy garlic mushrooms as I do not eat desserts.

We all visited the salad bar & helped ourselves, the starter arrived which was quite tasty, could have been more creamy as it became watered down because of the mushrooms but was ok overall & was served with a slice of garlic bread.

After a 10 minute wait our main meals were served up by different staff – both the childrens Baby back ribs & burger were correct, but my wifes Full rack of ribs was served up with fries, not as ordered & my chicken was served up WITHOUT the mash potatoe – just chicken & peas!! We had to call a member of staff over to correct the mistakes. Both plates were taken away & then returned, this time the ribs had the mushrooms & a little bit of cut tomato; my chicken had mash placed in the gap where it should have been in the first place. The member of staff commented that the mash should have been served in a separate bowl & that the errors were due to someone else not noticing. My opinion – firstly, we deviated from the fries/potatoes with the Full rack so the kitchen staff just passed out another standard plateful of food without noticing the change & secondly put the mash on the plate in the first place - saves on washing up!

We all enjoyed the main meals, the ribs & burger looked good & well cooked, my chicken was good despite the error but not hot. The JD sauce is a good choice to accompany the chicken.

My wife & daughters then decided to go for a dessert as they did not have a starter – all had sundaes (1 brownie & 2 strawberry) which were large & good value for money.

Our waitress (Sabina) was attentive & friendly

Overall, good value for money – the total amount was just short of £70 which for a 2 course meal for 4 people & a round of drinks I thought was good. The serving staff were good – just need to pay a little more attention to getting the orders correct.

The only downside apart from the serving error was that we were seated next to a large group of mainly female teenagers celebrating a birthday & they were loud, it was difficult to hold a conversation due to the continuous shouting & screaming from the group!!

An above averagae rating deserved!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to our Restaurant.
Best regards
Sussex, UK
“Very busy & poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Went as a large group. The service was poor,but it was very busy. We had to keep going to look for someone to serve us. Food was basic, but I guess you get what you pay for, as the cost was reasonable.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at Harvester The Beech Hurst, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you.
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Had better”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I use harvester a lot as I live near three, but out of the three this has to b the most inconsistent for service and food.
It took them forever to serve me and my friend and when we did get our food bits of mine where over cooked (I have the mixed grill) and I had to ask again for my blue cheese sauce and my my friend had to ask three times for ketchup as ours on the table had run out.
The desserts we had were the only good bit of the meal and the starter but overall the staff were like robots and had no personality.
The place it's self was good and my friend and me had a good time it's just a shame about the food

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for giving us your feedback following your recent disappointing meal at our Restaurant.
Best regards