“This restaurant is empty for a good reason” 1 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN The Birch Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lewes Road, Haywards Heath RH17 7SF, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Haywards Heath
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“This restaurant is empty for a good reason”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We live locally and tried this place a couple of times as we are otherwise far from restaurants. The first time the restaurant was completely empty. The food was not great and overpriced but I was able to use my gourmet society club card and get a discount so I did not feel I should complain.

The second time they did not accept the gourmet society card although it should have been a day where it was eligible for a discount. We decided to go anyway as we were celebrating a special occasion. The restaurant was again close to empty (2 other couples and a table of 6). We ordered the new 'steak on a stone' which cost £18. Given the price you would hope for something nice.

It took the order 50 minutes to arrive (as the staff said they had a 'big' table to make orders for and the kitchen was struggling to cope with their order and ours all at once). I wouldn't want to be dining there the day the restaurant is full, if they cannot cope with 8 plates. The steak finally arrived on the stone. There was no separate plate provided to stop cooking the meat and when we asked where we should put it, we were shown the bread side plate. We were told that we should eat it on the hot stone although it would carry on cooking the meat, which we like rare. The sides were so small I am not sure why they bother with them, literally a small handful of chips, a couple of dips of sauce and 1 salad leaf. We had to juggle between the hot stone plate and the side plate where the steak was and had to be very careful not to burn ourselves with the hot stone every time we eating a mouthful. It was quite a ridiculous set up, surely the stone should be on a separate table on the side so it can be taken away once the steak is cooked.

We complained about the wait, the awkwardness to eat our food properly (with a lack of help from the waiters, surely they should be able to provide an actual plate on request) and enjoy it, and the poor value considering the price and the little amount of food. We were invited to speak to the manager, Lainee, who had the poorest attitude I have ever seen. She challenged us in saying our food was delivered on time, went as far as going the ticket with the time we ordered it to prove her point. She also told us she was very surprised about our complaints about the steak and awkwardness of their plates and said that people really loved this dish and found it was very cheap for what it was! She basically did not take any of our complaints on board and of course did not offer any discount or free drink to try to make up for our disappointment. Needless to say our night was ruined and the bill came to about £60 for a bottle of wine and 2 steaks. We were still hungry when we went home.
We will never go back there again, and certainly will never recommend the hotel to friends or family visiting, given the poor quality of service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

First impressions were good , good car parking, pleasant receptionist, the new bar was strikingly different but still very welcoming, bar staff very helpful. As it was a private function the meal was served in the Sussex room, a very large dining table with plenty of room to move about and chat. The food was pre ordered and did not disappoint, beef rare, Yorkshires crisp, plenty of veg, all served by very polite and professional waiters and waitresses. I didn't stay at the hotel but friends did, and commented on how nice the rooms were and how good the service was. All in all a very nice evening .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Crawley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Went to the hotel for wedding reception and found the venue clean and tidy. The only down side was that the bar staff where a little clueless and by 11pm they ran out of draught larger. But all in all a nice place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The cost of the room given its size would lead one to believe they were staying in central London. I have never paid so much to stay in such cramped accommodation. We would have had more space had we slept in our car.

• Stayed June 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Arrived for a one night stay, reception allocated room 301 , with the description, up the stairs and then a few more stairs. We were in fact at the top of the hotel in an extremely small room with reduced height ceilings. The room had a double bed but was obviously designed for one. Disappointed we asked to be moved, reception offered to try or try to reduce the price on check out. Not sure how this would have happened as we had already paid. That evening a room became available, due to a no show, and we were moved to a lovely room, with a large bed and bathroom. The following morning arrived for breakfast, hotel busy and the 3 staff waiting staff were overwhelmed. Found my own table asked for it to be cleared, served myself, never offered any hot drinks. On checkout, reception commented that the original room was not for tall people! Suggested they make this clear on booking and offer a reduced price at the outset.
Overall, a hotel that makes a stay hard work. If you go, check the size of the room you will be allocated. Reception staff helpful.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My partner and I booked this hotel as we were attending a wedding close by. I called ahead to confirm with the hotel that booking in late wouldn't be a problem and they said they had a night porter on all evening. We arrived at 0030 hours and there was no staff at reception. We pressed the bell for about 20 minutes with no one still coming to the desk. Eventually I had to fight my way through a large rowdy crowd in the bar to ask the bar staff if someone could book is in.

After another 10 minute wait, the night porter strolled up to the desk and said that the customers at the bar wanted to finish their order. I was extremely frustrated after a long day that I had to wait 30 minutes to be checked in as the night porter was doing another job!

The room to be fair was clean and well presented. However it transpired this was above the bar. I thought the bar would soon close and the noise from it would stop at around 1am. However at 4am the noise was as loud as when we arrived and we had a very sleepless night. There was shouting, loud music and constant vehicles arriving outside.

I wrote an email to the hotel to complain as I feel I had paid over the odds for the worst hotel experience I'd had. I received no reply whatsoever which I find completely shocking customer service.

I would never book with this hotel again and recommend no one else book with them too.

• Stayed May 2013
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed for one night in a ground floor room. The rate included b/f which was a buffet or a la carte. I failed to notice that you could request cappuccino etc until I was almost finished. This might be worth trying as the std coffee wasn't that good. The food was fine though. Could do without the dreadful music playing.

The room was very comfortable. No complaints at all there. The only thing I would point out is that if you have the ground floor rooms next to the exit door it is very noisy as the door is open and closed ( slams ) constantly.

Reception staff were friendly and car parking was plentiful.

Pretty good all around.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to BEST WESTERN The Birch Hotel? Share your experiences!