“Birthday drink” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Birthday drink”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Quite misleading, these photos were from its original refurb, is it fair to mis lead the public. Now looking tied & shabby.

Visited May 2014
DavidSulway S, Owner at Red Lion Chelwood Gate, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Please accept my apologies that you found us tied (sic) and shabby. It is not an intention to mislead anyone. The photos on the website were taken just under 1 year ago. I cannot believe the décor has altered drastically in that time. Whilst I appreciate a lick of paint here and there would not go amiss I hope it did not spoil your food and drinks.

Shipley, United Kingdom
“Amazing Sirloin Burger!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

We visited the Red Lion after a drive out and thought it looked nice . We loved the interior and the lunch menu was above average for pub food . Myself and Jen both picked the sirloin Steak burger and we were not disappointed ! The best burger we have both tasted ... ever !! Nice chips and salad too and a nice atmosphere too . The two staff who served were very nice and friendly .
Only downside was the loos which needed a spruce up ( ladies )
Overall a fab lunch and a smashing Pub !

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Not as good as I was expecting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband organised lunch at this pub for Mother's Day and I was looking forward to it as it has such great reviews. On arriving, I would say that I thought the decor of the pub was nice but very simple - nothing to be excited about but I did like the fresh daffodils.
The conservatory is nice and the back garden is lovely - I think in summer it would be nice to sit outside.
However, I found the food a little disappointing. We were there on a Sunday so it was pretty much roast only on the menu, which is fine as I love a good roast. The roast was just ok - not bad, but not amazing - which at £15 a dish for the usual two to three thin slices of meat, I found over priced. I would expect larger servings of meat for that price or a more gourmet style roast, but it was just the usual classic roast dish - couple of thin slices of meat, a few veg, gravy and a yorkshire pudding (the yorkshire pudding was nice!). We were hoping the dessert would tip it over the edge from an average meal to a lovely one - but the sticky toffee pudding was rock solid - you literally couldn't cut it with the spoon - a consistency that suggested it had been microwaved to death (we sent it back and they did take it off the bill).
Overall, I thought it was a nice pub with an average menu, the main highlight being the lovely back yard. I don't really think all the 5 star reviews are warranted - perhaps if I had lower expectations I would have enjoyed it more. Both my husband and I thought maybe it would be nicer eating off the normal menu and perhaps the roast let them down?

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tonbridge
“Hazel W.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We went to the red lion at chelwood gate for our 27th wedding anniversary on sunday 23 march. The service was very good considering it was busy. Food was excellent we both had roast beef which was melt in the mouth. For dessert we had apple crumble and sticky toffee pudding which were both delicious. You really should give it a visit.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Extravagant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

The staff were charming, wasnt too full or too empty, ther service was up to speed. It was a beatifully decorated restaurant, the atmosphere, highly reccomended. The food was extravagant, left feeling like a stuffed chicken.

• Visited January 2014