“Lovely Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Climping
Southampton
“Lovely Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

I booked a birthday weekend away at this hotel and pre-booked spa treatments for my wife as a birthday treat. I booked a deluxe room at £200 B&B per room per night through lastminute.com (hotel website says such rooms are just short of £400 so I thought I was in for a bargain!) - but the room we got was a Classic room (a superior room being between the classic and the deluxe room). DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT LASTMINUTE.COM SAY!!! That said I enquired at the hotel direct how lastminute.com could offer such a deluxe room at such a cheap price and asked if they could offer the same. The hotel did not point out that it was NOT a deluxe room we had booked - naughty. It worked out that we only saved abpout £50 for the two nights we stayed. That said, we enjoyed the room and the stay. Flowers and chocolates that I had pre-ordered as a surprise on arrival were there but the champagne was not - it arrived a couple of hours later with no prompting as we were about to go out (to see Alison Moyet at Brighton - what a night!) so we arranged for it to be delivered the following evening (and the bottle was a half bottle which at £49 a bottle I thought was a bit of a cheek). The spa was excellent and my wife's treatments were wonderful (although they had got one of the treatments wrong but it was only a time thing and was 55mins instead of the 25mins I had booked). The staff at the hotel and spa were superb and sincere. Breakfast was ok (I've had better cooked breakfasts but the choice of other food was excellent). On departure the bill was wrong in that they had charged me twice for one of the treatments and twice for the lunch we had at the Spa so check your bills - there was one bonus in that they had forgot to charge me the welcome package!!
We did not try their dinner but I'm sure it would have been excellent.
I am nit-picking really because we did have a wonderful time despite the weather.
We would definitely go back again but in the summer.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

We had a 1 night spa break in the last week of November, which consisted of DB&B with a spa treatment and half a bottle of champers. The Bailiffscourt Hotel is located in a lovely location, which is both beautiful and secluded. Set in its own grounds the drive up to the medieval manor house and out buildings is quite impressive. On arrival we were greeted with a smile and a room upgrade to deluxe (Tattesham). It was a large room with working fireplace, comfortable arm chairs and located in the main house. To name one overall highlight among many would be the outdoor Canadian hot tub.

Highlights:

The staff were very friendly and attentive, you didn’t feel pressured but everything was done around you

Cracking breakfast which was cooked perfectly and to order

The food at dinner was very good, the Tapestry room is small and in a lovely setting. In addition the wine menu is very extensive, however not all the bottles are astronomically expensive, which is good.

The Spa is 1st rate, the indoor pool area to quite stunning within a beamed high ceilinged converted out-building with views of the outside and the outdoor pool (a little chilly to test this during our visit). We had a 30 min massage treatment which was awesome, in a very relaxing room. Outdoor Canadian hot tub was highlight as mentioned, good fun sitting in there whilst it was dark and stormy.

Climping beach is approx 100 yards walk out the back of the hotel, it’s a peddle beach which isn’t the most picturesque however great for walking and getting some much needed sea air.

Overall I would say that Bailisffscourt Hotel is an ideal weekend destination (particularly if you live in London as we do). It provides good country air, beach for walks, spa to relax and treat yourself, excellent food & drink and a good bed to sleep it all off

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Brighton, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I enjoyed my stay at Bailiffscourt. The staff are attentive, the hotel buildings are full of character and it has beautiful gardens. The spa is lovely - especially the heated outside pool and hot tub. There is a short walk to Climping beach. My one disappointment was the dinner - there wasn't a lot of it and at £46 a head it needed to be really special which, for me, it wasn't.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

With family split between UK and Portugal, our gathering for Mum's 90th Birthday Party had to be special - and we found the perfect location at the Baillifscourt Hotel. Right from the start, the Banketing Dept Manager was helpful, efficient and curteous when we booked. On the big day, we had pre-lunch pimms in the reception rooms with two roaring log fires - this was December - and the luncheon was served in the Music Room, a lovely period hall just big enough for the 25 guests. The skate, duck and creme brulee were excellent, in a most wonderful setting with attentive head waiter and efficient staff. One of those special days we will always remember...

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
St Albans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

We were lucky to visit Bailiffscourt on a sunny weekend and so really made the most of the amazing gardens, lovely outdoor pool and hot tub. The hotel and spa are both absolutely beautiful, set in open farmland and just a short walk to the beach. The modern rooms (where we stayed) make up for in facilities what they lack in character - the bathroom was fantastic and there were impressive little touches which always make a hotel stay special.

Contrary to other reviews, we found the service in the hotel a little disappointing (spa staff were great)...perhaps my expectations were too high. There were weddings going on both days so perhaps everyone was a little overworked! Receptionists didn't go out of their way to be welcoming or helpful: First one was unable to recommend a good pub for lunch and the second (following day) suggested I locate someone "wearing black and white" when I was struggling to find someone to order afternoon tea from. I would have hoped in a hotel of this calibre that she would have arranged someone to come to me! But it's a measure of how good the ambience, facilities, location etc were that these are quibbles. Elsewhere at a hotel in this price range they would have been huge disappointments.

Assuming we were unlucky with our experience of the service, overall this is a very special place to stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

Positives: stunning location, lovely spa, relaxed atmosphere
Negatives: the rooms felt slightly tired and needed a lick of paint and new upholstery. The cleaning could be improved; my husband found a sock in the wardrobe and the drawers were not wiped. Disappointed with the quality of the food. For £46 a head I really expected more. It was unimaginative and bland and my lunch at the pub the day before won hands down in terms of flavour and value for money.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel on many occasions and would highly recommend it. The location is excellent, being minutes from the sea, and convenient for visiting Arundel, Chichester and the surrounding district (Bognor and Worthing, for example). The hotel itself has tremendous character consisting of some medieval "salvage" properties and some more contemporary rooms. The decor is warm and inviting, in country house style with tapestries, fresh flowers, antique furnishings, etc. Nothing is too much trouble for the friendly and helpful staff - everyone went out of their way to be of assistance. The spa is excellent - indoor and outdoor heated pools and hot tubs. It is quite magical to sit in the hot tub and watch the sun go down. Children are welcome at certain times, but there is a child free period as well - suiting everyone. Our teenager loved the spa and we all appreciated the treatments available - heavenly! Superb food and excellent wine list. We have always enjoyed our visits here and leave looking forward to returning.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Bailiffscourt Hotel? Share your experiences!