“The Hickstead Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolney
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“The Hickstead Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My Wife and I had our wedding at the Hickstead Hotel on May 11th 2013 and it was the best single day of our lives. The best day of your life doesn’t just happen on its own and I would say that the team at the Hickstead Hotel had a big hand in making it happen. Giles, who is the General Manager at the Hickstead, guided us through the whole process from start to finish and he ensured that the big day went off smoothly. The staff cannot do enough for you. One member of staff by the name of Jenny, for example, stayed with my wife, mother-in-law and bridesmaid long after her shift had finished to help them decorate the Reception Room. This not only allowed my wife to get to bed a lot sooner but also helped settle her nerves. The staff also do everything they do with a smile!

The Hotel itself is clean and tidy. On our wedding day everything was decorated beautifully according to our requirements. The food was fantastic. We got a food tasting session in advance of the wedding. The choice was difficult when all the dishes were lovely. By the time it got to the wedding day my wife and I were looking forward to tucking into the food we had previewed.

If you are looking for a place to get married then the Hickstead is a place that my wife and I cannot recommend enough. In one word… superb!

Steffi and Danny Davies

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hickstead, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Danny and Steffi

Thanks for all your lovely words . All the planning over the past two years was worth it . It was a pleasure getting to know you both and the family and I was so pleased we met your expectations .

As with any business we have to make a profit to carry on in business , but the main reason we all work hard and are committed to and believe in our offering at The Hickstead Hotel is that we genuinely want to offer our guests a first class personal service . When it is recognised in this way it really makes everything worthwhile for myself and the team .

I look forward to keeping in touch and seeing you in the coming year

Giles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Dereham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Needed to be in the area overnight and the Premier was full which was a jolly good thing as I had a wonderful stay at the Hickstead Hotel. From the moment I walked in to when I left I had fabulous service. The friendly receptionist quickly signed me in and even came to my room to 'sort my TV out'! I had arranged for a couple of friends who live locally to join me for a drink and Hassan, behind the bar, looked after us beautifully. I ordered room service just before 9pm (they helpfully reminded me that 9pm was last orders) of sirloin steak, mushrooms, tomato and offered me a selection of vegetables instead of the fries. The 'au poivre' sauce was in a separate jug. It arrived promptly and was exceptionally good. The steak was a good thickness and cooked perfectly and all the vegetables were delicious. It was so good I was compelled to leave a thank you note on the tray for the chef! The room was a very good size (Room 126), immaculately clean and well appointed. If I was being very picky my slight niggles (which is what prevents a 5* review) are that the lighting in the room was generally dim (although I have noticed that hotels do this quite often), the bathroom floor tiling/grouting needs some attention and the very comfortable mattress was creaky on one side (quickly sorted by sleeping on the other side!). The breakfast was superb; served by a couple of lovely and friendly staff. The usual cereal and fruit and juice selection but it was a refreshing change not to have to cook your own toast and to have a large range of cooked breakfasts offered. All brought with a smile and perfectly cooked. Thank you Hickstead Hotel for a very comfortable stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 126 is on the ground floor and near reception. It is situated by the front door of the Hotel s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed and thorough critique of your stay with us at The Hickstead Hotel . I am delighted that you were not disappointed with your second choice of hotel and I hope when you return it will be your first choice .

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Had a nice overnight stay at the hotel - room was ample for one night and service in restaurant exemplary! Food was well presented and tasty. As it was a Saturday evening there was a function taking place and there was a little noise from those staying for this, but it wasn't intrusive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here recently while on business in the area. Nice clean hotel, big rooms, good internet access. Evening meal of a decent standard and Breakfast cooked to order. Good deals available BB&D, so a good call if your looking for a short stay in this area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank your for your review whilst down on business .

I am delighted you experienced a good level of Hickstead Hospitality and hope to see you again soon

Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were given a gift to have a Cream Tea at this hotel. The cream tea was plentiful and delicious although we did have to advise them 2 or 3 times that we were vegetarian before getting the correct sandwiches! We found the room comfortable and very clean, as is the hotel, the breakfast had plenty to choose from and was tasty. Apart from the first hiccup, the staff were extremely attentive and we would stay here again, as we were made to feel very welcome and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I am delighted you took the time to write a review after your recent stay . I do a[pologise about the mixup over the sandwiches for the afternoon tea , something that we deal with all the time , but I am glad it was resolved and did not detract from an otherwise enjoyable break and we look forward to seeing you again soon

rochester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We booked bed and breakfast .and evening meal at Hickstead as we were visiting friends in Brighton.By error we arrived one hour early to book in,2.00pm instead of 3.00pm but were welcomed by a charming young lady who said she would check to see if our room may be ready.Fortunately it was!!!so we were allowed in to our room one hour earlier.
The room was very spacious,and very clean ,with all the usual facilities[tea,coffee,etc].Our
particular room did not have a nice view ,but some of the guests said they had nice views
of the country side[maybe a one night]Our meal that evening was well cooked,but unless you have a big appetite they were plentyful!!.We had a three course ,but two would have been right for us?along with a bottle of wine,and coffee.The breakfast the next morning was mixture of continental and full english and you could have both or whatever.We found the staff very pleasant and helpful,and nothing was a problem for any of them.We would think about visiting
again ,but would like a room with a better view

Room Tip: ask for a room with a decent view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your recent stay whilst visiting friends . I am glad you were well looked after and enjoyed your visit . Please contact myself direct twhen you wish to stay again and I will ensure you have a room with a view of the beautiful Sussex countryside

Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We booked afternoon tea as part of grandaughter's birthday celebrations. The tea was scrumptious - wonderful choice of sandwiches and cakes topped off with freshly made scones. They even made me a smoked salmon salad as an option as I don't eat bread or cake but still wanted to be part of the celebrations. Very good service in a lovely setting.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us and particularly the salmon salad after we spoke on the phone . We really do aim to accommodate and go out of way to offer good service and it is great when it is appreciated

Do come and see us again for tea , lucnh or dinner

Giles Paul

Been to The Hickstead? Share your experiences!