“I checked out early, unhygienic - avoid!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Birmingham Oldbury

You added Ramada Birmingham Oldbury to your Saves list
Ramada Birmingham Oldbury
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   963 Wolverhampton Road | Warley, Oldbury B69 4RJ, England   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Oldbury
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“I checked out early, unhygienic - avoid!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

As a businessman I have used this hotel regularly. The rooms are small but adequate the beds are hard not to my liking but that is a personal choice. The hotel has reminders everywhere of the indian owners in decor, pictures etc....which I like. The indian theme is carried on in the restaurant which has an excellent indian menu. Service is at times a little slack but extremely friendly which more than makes up for the apparent lack of training.
Two days ago I was having breakfast and when i looked into the kitchen which is an open one, I saw two gentleman one in jeans, t shirt and an apron, and a scruffy man in shirt and trousers. This was unusual because ordinarily there is a chef in full whites etc cooking breakfast. The scruffy older gentleman was sat chopping mushrooms....as he was doing so, some fell of his chopping board onto the floor, he then picked them up and put them with the rest of the prepped food.
I complained to the waitress who advised me this was a manager and nothing further was done, needless to say I did not eat my breakfast. Later that morning once I had calmed down I was forced to check out as I could no longer stay after witnessing such an act. upon checking out I offered an explanation as to why I was checking out early . The receptionist just shrugged and identified the perpetrator as the owner of the hotel!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Its clean, and the staff are pleasant (though badly trained). Good cooked breakfast and good attentive breakfast staff, but breakfast food hidden under unlabelled covers. I arrived late at night, but would have liked to try the evening meal - from the smell, it seemed like their expertise was in serving Indian food that was a cut above the standard curry-shed fare.
I would have liked a welcome that:
correctly coded my room key first time
offered me a wake-up call, a newspaper and told me where and what time breakfast would be available.
The room was very small for a double.TV was good, but I had to sit for 15 mins and re-code the TV so it would accept all channels. A comfy armchair would have been nice for a 'road warrior' like myself that likes to relax after hours in the saddle of a car seat - only a stool was provided, and anyway, the room was so small that an armchair would not have fitted in. The decor was a bit odd (but not unpleasant) - main room included Indian curry restaurant red flock wallpaper,with shiny gold soft furnishings and a bengal striped heavy dark-wood furniture that dominated the room. Lampshades were ragged.
Bathroom was fine with contemporary fittings, a heated towel rail and a substantial crack in the otherwise fine wash basin unit.
It is quite close to a main road where lorries outnumber cars. The road noise and distant sounds of industrial bangings and crashings will only be problematic if you sleep with the window open.
Morning cleaning staff were as warm as toast and had started cleaning my room and moving my personal belongings about whilst I was having breakfast (sorry folks - but I do not like people handling my stuff without my permission!)
Yes, I would stay again, but not out of preference. Too many unnecessary niggles for me.

Newquay, Cornwall
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I arrived at the Ramada hotel with a sense of trepidation having seen previous reviews but it was booked for me by a booking agent for a business stay. First appearances are a little industrial and the complete lack of any other cars in the car park was a little worrying. Having said that, with a sense of balance I would equally have complained if I could not park. Check in and welcome were a little disappointing, i got the feeling I was interrupting a staff chat or possibly the tennis which was on when i arrived. No friendly hello, just one staff member saying second floor room not ready so was allocated at top of hotel on floor 3. Headed for lift without much more conversation from reception staff and up to room. General decor is tired but acceptable could do with some freshening up. I agree with previous reviewer who stated that corridors smelt of cheap air freshener but that was not an issue for me. Room was clean and ready for occupancy but the small things matter, door handles missing from wardrobe etc and furniture did not match but hey ho. Internet access was swift and free so no complaints there. Biggest gripe is that I had been booked in with a meal allowance having specifically asked for a hotel with a restaurant, on arrival, I was told restaurant was not open that evening. No explanation given, not displayed on website and advert says restaurant is open 7 days per week! so had to go to local fish and chip shop, ironically sign at the chip shop over counter said "customer service is an attitude not a department" applies quite well to first arrival at hotel.
That said tea and coffee making facilities fine, TV good, bed comfortable and a good nights sleep had hotel was quiet, not surprising given the fact it was virtually empty!
Breakfast welcome was much better, different staff, food was good although bacon a little leathery but it must be hard to keep a buffet open from 7.00am when you have so few people staying. Check out was swift and easy with a friendly receptionist.
To conclude, a tired hotel that needs some TLC and some customer service training for the staff. Would try to avoid staying here again as it was just a little too impersonal.

County Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Was visiting the Black Country Museum (worth a visit) so Stayed here on 12th June for 1 night, I must say I found the hotel to be very oddly managed and NOT at all like a Ramada hotel. To be honest the room itself was clean and comfortable the bathroom although tiny was also clean and modern. The shower was powerful and good quality but the radiator/towel rail was ridiculously placed about 2 inches from the toilet meaning every time you used the facility you scalded your elbow VERY Dangerous & STUPIDLY placed!!!!! The general décor of the hotel was pretty odd and the reception lobby had a silly amount of furniture squeezed into the space. The Reception desk had been split in half 1 half a bar 1 half reception a bit fawlty towers style. The Website shows pictures of a residents lounge & bar area and gym all af which have been made into conference rooms hmmm leaving everyone sat in the lobby hence the bar on reception. The funniest thing was the HUGE chandelier with only 1 light bulb working, if they can’t afford new bulbs can I suggest they simply switch the light off to save embarrassment of drawing attention to this fact! The restaurant didn’t look up to much and the area seemed rough but we ventured out & actually found the most Amazing buffet style restaurant a few hundred yards up the road called flavourz (it was truly Amazing)
Breakfast was buffet style and pretty good although the sausages were a very cheap type.
We actually had quite a fun breakfast listening into the health inspector check the kitchen & quiz the chef followed by another amusing visit from trading standards. The manager had only started that week and seemed a bit like a duck out of water.
All been told though the hotel was still good value at the last minute price we got and it was a pretty memorable / fun stay but for all the wrong reasons.
I am just shocked that this hotel is classed as a Ramada and have now been put off of using any other Ramada hotels in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I felt quite let down on arrival, as members of my party had experianced bad service since the afternoon.
The manager only started on Monday and it was clear he had no help what so ever, I actually advised him to contact his head office.
we booked for dinner only to find some other party had taken our slot, we were offered the sister hotel up the road, but declined as it was raining, we were tired from our journey, some of our party had found there rooms unclean, smelly, shower facilites were poor.
we were offered an English menu at 9pm and was told we would be eating within half an hour, 10.15 we were sat in the darkest part of the resturant, and sat patiently waiting for food, the first starters arrived wrong, but as we were so hungry we ate them
some of our party had o give in and leave for bed without dinner, we eventually got a hot burnt offering at 10.45, I myself had to go into the kitchen as ask where someones food was, only for it to arrive wrong -another person goes to bed hungry!!!!
not really sure who to blame here but fawlty towers would of been the better choice already.
we had a meeting room booked for the next day on arrival nothing was set up, the carpet was sticky,dirty smelt of furniture polish.
I had to gather all the stationery,water, re arrange the chairs/table so i could run the meeting in a sort of comfortable manner
shall i go on
ok, lunch was good bless the manager he tried very hard with that and that part only.
afternoon tea was requested for 2.30pm, I was assured it would there before me, 3.00pm we got tea/coffee
overall experiance - absolutely terrible
Hotel mamangement should be made aware that when they have staff issues GET HELP AND QUICK.

Room Tip: there wasn't any!!!!
Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I was unfortunate enough to be booked in here by by travel department for a business trip. After spending an eternity to check in I went up to my room and the first thing I noticed in the corridor was the overpowering smell of cheap air freshener. Walking through the fire doors I was greeted by a different but equally unpleasant air freshener. Air freshener concerns me as it shouldn't be needed if the cleaning is being carried out properly.

The room was small but well furnished. However there was wallpaper peeling away in a corner and a large chunk of plaster missing from the wall beneath the window.

The bathroom was tiny and the shower had no water pressure. The bed covers were thin, and the road noise was considerable.

We ate in the 'chic restaurant'. Where we waited 45 minutes for our food, one member of our group waited an hour as his order had been missed by the kitchen staff.

Things didn't improve on the second day. My room key stopped working as the reception had only programmed it for 1 night. I waited 20 minutes to sort this out at front desk as another guest was having a big argument about the fact that the hotel had overbooked and had to bump him to another hotel. This wasn't as bad as the next complainant who had been checked in to an already occupied room!

Dinner on the second night was much worse than the first, we were a large group and had called our orders in at midday in anticipation of the slow service. This didn't stop the hotel restaurant staff from taking over an hour to bring out out main meals.
Incidentally we were staying on a Dinner, bed and breakfast rate. But we were told that the '3 course dinner' wouldn't include a starter as they couldn't deal with 20 orders at once. After much complaining we were told that we could pick from 4 of the dishes on the menu!!

Things deteriorated throughout the evening as crockery was dropped on numerous occasions by the staff, and drinks orders failed to materialise.

This hotel is like a real life version of faulty towers.

Completely unprofessional and ill equipped to deal with large corporate bookings.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Carshalton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

One word sums up our reception experience – chaos. Not only for our family but for many of the other guests booked in for the wedding in June that we were attending. Bookings were wrong on the hotel computer so our rooms booked on 13th March, with confirmation email from hotel the same day, did not appear on their computer therefore rooms had to be re-allocated on the day. Rates set up for the wedding party had not been noted so many guests had to let the reception know what had been arranged.

Rooms were comfortable and clean but compact. The television was tuned in but pictures were out of sync with words. Breakfast was good and hot with friendly and attentive service.

If booking with this hotel make sure that they send you complete details of your booking with names, number of rooms, number of days, starting dates and costs. Print this out and take it with you as proof of your booking. Make sure that on check out you are given a full detailed receipt and credit card slip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ramada Birmingham Oldbury? Share your experiences!