“Yet another enjoyable Xmas Shopping Trip ....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley

Save Saved
You added Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley to your Saves list
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Level Street | The Waterfront, Breierley Hill DY5 1UR, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Adv Purchase upto 20% off
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Breierley Hill
Dilton Marsh, Wiltshire,
“Yet another enjoyable Xmas Shopping Trip ....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Its location is ideal for our annual, 'get away from it all', Xmas Shopping Trip (3rd here since 2008) and its pleasant, relaxed but attentive service is the icing on the cake. The decor and fittings are well maintained and modern, and beds comfortable. Bathroom and facilities are clean and modern too. As the hotel hosts lots of varying functions, with lots of 'late night revelling', the sound-proofing is first-class. Not had a disturbed night, yet!
For those requiring 'retail therapy', the Hotel is just next door to the humungous, ginormous Merry Hill Shopping centre .... certainly an easy walk, even with bags of goodies to carry!
Only one tiny observation ... parking, albeit lots of, does get filled very quickly at this time of year and it can't be reserved :-(( So, once you've booked-in, and got your wheels safely parked, then, if the car isn't needed until going-home time, leave it parked and walk or taxi to wherever.

Room Tip: Although the sound-proofing is very good, a room towards the corridor end (any floor) will ensure no...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear DeeMarshian

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with your post. I was delighted to raed that you had enjoyed your latest visit.

I should point out that there is additional parking avaialble through the rear carpark exit should you have issues in future.

We hope to welcome you back again soon

498 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is my fourth stay at the copthorne and once again I found the hotel to very clean, excellent size rooms which are very tastefully decorated. As I was on a social night out I did not try the restaraunt for dinner but the buffet breakfast was superb. All food was hot and plentiful.
My only minor complaint would be that they need to upgrade the televisions to flat screen

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Allan2952

Thank you again for selecting our hotel for your latest visit and for posting your positive review.

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back soon.

Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was our fourth stay and once again i found the hotel to be clean, well furnished and well looked after. The bedrooms are large, as were the bathrooms which were also very well decorated.

The pool and fitness suite was great. Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna.

Location is not picturesque, but is great for a weekend getaway, Directly across from a massive shopping complex, with bars, resaurants, cinema etc. Didn't eat in the hotel, but took breakfast in the shopping centre and used the pub across the canal for our evening meal.

Only negatives were the tiny TV, like something from the 90s, and the fact that there was no free internet access, even McDonalds and Starbucks do this.

Quite a way from Central Birmingham, but we parked our car at Dudley port station park and ride and got the train in.

Room Tip: Get a high floor overlooking the canal for a good view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Briwire

Thank you for selecting the hotel for your latest getaway break. I was dleighted to read that you had enjoyed your time with us.

We look forwards to welcoming you again in the future.

Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

For any body visiting Dudley or surrounding area, the Copthorne Hotel has to be your first choice of hotel, the location is perfect, I have stayed here on more than one occasion it has always been a delightful experience, the hotel has four stars and deserves them, on my recent visit I stayed in a standard room on the forth floor, it had a double bed and also a single bed, it had all the amenities and luxury you would expect from a room in a four star hotel, I was particularly impressed by the quite stunning view of the Merry Hill shopping complex which is now owned and run by Westfield, the Complex is walking distance from the hotel and has all the shops and major stores as the Westfield in central London. The Hotel bar and restaurant is called Faradays, I have eaten here many times, the staff are always professional and polite and serve good wholesome food, I had a breakfast meeting the next day it was a casual affair which we again conducted in Faradays, the staff were amazing keeping us supplied with tea and coffee we then decided to work off the calories we had consumed and headed for the Hotel’s Health club, I generally give the gym a miss and head straight for the pool and Jacuzzi,
But this time I bowed to pressure from my colleges and hit the running machine…I’m already looking forward to my next visit in March

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor, the view of the waterfront is equally as good as the Westfield Centre
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Chris N

Thank you so much for your recent post. I was delighted to raed that you had enjoyed your experience.

We look forwards to welcoming you back in March.

Yours sicnerely

Dartford, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here as part of a business party. The room is nice and clean, though the radiator is behind the thick curtains so non of the heat gets into the room.

The bathroom was clean but the basin was set so far back that it is almost impossible to wash your face. The towels were clean and fresh and the shower akin to standing under the Niagara falls!

The wireless Internet was impossible to get working as several of us discovered. Despite entering the room number and surname the system refused to allow you access. What was worse is that each time you telephoned reception they took at least 2 minutes to answer, terrible.

The meal in the restaurant was just as bad. The wrong food arrived, took nearly 3 hours, and was so bad that when we complained we got the whole meal for eight for free.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Carl L

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Copthorne Merry Hill. I was however disappointed to read that you had experienced some issues whilst with us. I understand that my colleague Louise rectified these for you on the night.

Should you be returning to the area, please do let me know as I will ensure everything is as you would expect of a four star hotel - matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I really struggled whether to give this hotel a 5 star review. On the whole, the Copthorne was excellent. The room was spacious and clean. The staff was courteous and helpful. We used room service several times and it was always prompt and very good. The location was wonderful, and we had a fantastic view out the window. The internet was not free, but it was reasonable, and my wife and I were both able to access the account at the same time. And the shower was the best I've had in any hotel... Ever!!! So, since the overall stay was so pleasant, I decided to give it a five-star.
But there were some issues. One issue, as many other reviewers have pointed out, was the TV. Our room had an old 19" portable with a broken remote control. Totally out of place in a hotel this nice! It was not a big problem for us, as we were in town on business and didn't plan on watching much TV, but it did make it a little harder to give the place a five star.
Another problem is lack of electrical outlets. I counted just three single plugs in the room. Since my wife and I both travel with iPhones, iPads, and laptops that need to be recharged, this was a problem. (In many hotels, we can just unplug a few lamps, but the lamps at the Copthorne are wired into the wall... no plugs.) A power-strip fastened to the desk would be an easy and inexpensive fix to the problem, and would be greatly appreciated by guests.
Another problem was the lack of an in-room safe. Most travelers today travel with a lot of personal electronics... smartphones, tablet computers, laptops, ereaders, cameras, etc. This amounts to thousands of dollars worth of equipment and you don't want to lug it all with you every time you go out. But realistically, no matter how carefully a hotel screens their staff, thefts do happen. Hotels catering to business travelers usually provide a safe in every room, often with an electrical outlet in the safe, so you can recharge a laptop while it's in the safe. I was surprised this was lacking at the Copthorne.
So our stay at the Copthorne was enjoyable, but with just a few small improvements I could have given it a much more enthusiastic endorsement!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear RbrtH

Thank you so much for your recent feedback and nice comments.

I should point out that we do have safety deposit box's available at the hotels main reception.

uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Booked this hotel for an overnight stay and function for our works Christmas party.
Check in was smooth & efficient once we had found somewhere to park (a serious challenge this).
The room was warm & comfortable if a little dark (wretched energy saver light bulbs). All ok so far, so off we go to the bar. Wine selection was a tad limited & the house white was horrid. but que sera we were still all determined to enjoy ourselves.
So in we go to enjoy "Broadway or Bust". The performance was a bit lack lustre but as it was only background to our party, so didn't spoil our evening.
What was really disappointing was the food and the fact there was no drink service at the table. So each time we needed a drink off we trundled to the bar. This restriction also included bottles of wine! Surely it would make sense to make some provision to pre order wine for the table, so guests do not have to sit down to a proverbial desert?
The food was well....just dire. Tasteless, cold and just plain ugly. Gravy was watery, the chicken I am convinced was some form of plastic and the dreaded sprouts were bullet like.
Dessert was sweet, turgid and in my opinion inedible. It really was a ghastly meal.
I recognise that Christmas Parties are mass catering events and you can't expect great food - but edible would have been good.
We did have a good time, but it was due to the company we were in not the Copthorne.
I just wish that hotels would make an effort with Christmas Parties and deliver something reasonable rather than treating the festive season as a cash cow.
Moving on now to breakfast, another fiasco.OK so it was busy, OK so it is self service, but why should this mean that the coffee can be luke warm and taste like mud and the orange juice taste like a sherbert fountain. Why in the name of all that's holy is the toast machine at the front of the display, so that everyone is held up on their way to get anything cooked? Just abysmal - I wish I had stayed in bed.
All in all a poor effort on the part of the Copthorne - very disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Genavive

Thank you for your recent feedback, though I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

The Broadway show is something that we have taken a long time to build and so to read your comments regarding being "lack luster" is disappointing as mentioned above. Knowing what is on offer across the Black Country I am confident that we have put together a production that appeals to people. The show is designed to entertain you through your meal, at a tempo that enables you to engage still with your party. Following the meal the pace picks up and our live act perform dance floor fillers, which has been the case throughout the performances thus far.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies that our event wasn't to your liking. I do hope you will come and try us again.

Yours sicnerely

Matt Ward

Been to Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley? Share your experiences!