“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Belfry

You added The Belfry to your Saves list
The Belfry
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lichfield Road | West Midlands, Wishaw, Sutton Coldfield B76 9PR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wishaw
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I went to the belfry on a business function. Given the cost of the stay, I was not impressed at the quality of either the rooms, or the food on offer. This hotel used to be part of the DeVere group, which is a shame, as I have stayed at several other DeVere hotels and found them to be very pleasant, with good food on offer and very reasonably priced.
The room was infested with flies, with maybe 20-30 of them buzzing around behind the curtains. There was no quibble when I informed them, and they gave me another room, however, the new room also had a fly problem. As there were only 7 or 8 this time, I disposed of them and did not take the matter further.
The food on offer was well below par (excuse the pun) when compared to the DeVere hotels. Given that the cost of a room is in excess of £120/night, the food was basic. For example, one of the two deserts that were offered was "ice cream and chocolate sauce". I consider this to be a children's offering, and certainly not something that I would have expected to see at a hotel with The Belfry's perceived standing.
The one positive was that the wifi within the hotel was very fast, but then I would fully expect it to be, given that they charge £15 for 24 hours use!
All I can say is that I am thankful that I did not pay to stay there.

Room Tip: Unless you are there for the golf, choose another hotel. The rooms near the ponds seemed to be worse...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Swindon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have been regularly visiting The Belfry for extended breaks for 10 years, but a recent trip proved sour for me.
I was in a large group staying for 3 days, with golf included. I was first to check in at reception and was told that £50 per night, per person would be taken as insurance. I was not happy, but said this would be okay as I would get the money back when checking out. After reading other reviews on Tripadvisor, I checked my bank account within 10 minutes, to find that £250 had been taken out when checking in.
I swiftly returned and asked for an explanation. To cut a long story short, I was charged for my room in full again, yet not told. This came after paying for the room weeks prior to my visit. When I explained that I had now seemingly paid over £500 for 2 nights at The Belfry, I was told I would get the money back on check out. I was also told that it was the computers fault, which raises the questions - how many other people are getting ripped off?

Safe to say, my concerns were justified - 4 days after checking out I am still £250 out of pocket and not sure when this will be returned. I rang the reception to be told it could be 7 working days!
As this was a complete mess created by a greedy hotel and incompetent staff, I feel I should have been compensated, but in fact the opposite has happened.
I then witnessed other people checking in, refusing to hand a card over as it was optional. I wasnt told this? DO NOT HAND YOUR CARD OVER!!!

Loyalty in life does not pay at this venue any longer. Its border line day light robbery and a complete disregard to honest paying customers.

10 years of regular visits and a complete lack of respect and transparency from The Belfry.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Lynn H, Managing Director at The Belfry, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Random Ray,

I have to state for the record we are a long established and honourable business and although I really appreciate how upset you are the headline of your comment is unfounded & inaccurate.

We do have a preauthorisation process so that you may secure credit at the Belfry which is similar to most hotels in the UK. It is only in 2 circumstances where pre-authorisations are not taken- the first if the company guarantee extras and the second if a cash deposit is left at reception. The preauthorisation allows you to charge services and goods whilst in the resort and is held against any possible outstanding charges but should be released on departure if the same card has been used at both check in and check out. If different cards are used then unfortunately the bank not the Belfry holds the funds. I am unsure why the banks deem it necessary to hold on to these preauthorisation’s for the time that they do and share your frustrations.

I would be very happy to discuss this with you and see how we can help remedy the situation but please be assured that it would never be our intention to take money not due to us and of course would, as a reputable business, refund anything taken in error. Once we are able to track your reservation we will also speak to the staff member who did not explain the policy clearly.

In the interim please accept our apologies for not recognising your history with us and also for the inconvenience caused by this situation.

I can be reached via kelly.dunkley@thebelfry.com or lynn.hood@thebelfry.com - I suggest you copy us both given the holiday season.

Sincerely

Lynn

Travelers are raving about these Wishaw hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Booked the Belfry Hotel and Spa on travelzoo for £99 for one night.It also included a two course evening meal, breakfast and a spa treatment or round of golf.The hotel has recently been refurbished to a high standard.The reception staff were polite and soon checked us in and wished us a good stay. The room was clean and bright and the furnishings were very in keeping with a golf course.The evening meal was superb. A selection of starters which were excellent and finished off with a carvery with all meats on offer.The hotel was busy as we booked the same weekend as the Ryder Cup.The bar area was busy and the staff served quickly and politely.The spa treatments were relaxing and professional.I would recommend this hotel for a weekend stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course or the gardens.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Bracknell, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Exterior: Everything is clean, tidy and well maintained. The buildings are fine, but aren't going to win any design awards! There was plenty of parking and the signage was adequate.

Checking in: Only 1 girl on the check in desk, so we had a wait of around 10-15 minutes which at a 4 star hotel I would expect another person to assist the others in the queue.

Interior: The lobby, reception and bar areas were spacious and tastefully decorated making it feel like a 4 star. Unfortunately we didn’t experience the bar area as it looked very swish (although I’m sure we saved some money by not doing so!).

Bedroom: Although we booked a double we were given a family room (2 doubles) which although not an issue, just took up more room space! We had a balcony but being December would never have used it! Nice large TV with some Sky channels. Small box of 6 chocolates plus still/sparkling water was a nice touch. I would expect biscuits and hot chocolate with the ‘tea tray’ though. Strange there were no ceiling lights (aside from the bathroom) and only lamps? Also no air con which on this occasion wasn’t an issue but again I would expect this is a 4 star? The bathroom was small but functional. For a superior room at a 4 star I would have hoped for a larger bathroom with separate shower (instead of a bath shower). Maybe my expectations were too high compared to other 4 stars I’ve stayed at?

Food: To be honest this was the best part of our stay. The Ryder Grill has a very nice ambience and again has been refurbished to a very good level. The staff were also very professional. The mussels and fillet steak I had were top quality and the same can be said about the breakfast with a large selection available. Shame there were no other alternative aside from tea or coffee.

Fire & Ice Experience: Was part of our package and was something new to try. Personally wouldn’t pay £50-60 for this as I don’t think it’s value for money but it was fine for 90 mins. Nothing new or revolutionary but maybe not suited to me!

Overall: I’d give it 3 stars out of 5. There’s certainly a few areas where they can improve. As mentioned it’s not upto a lot of 4 stars I’ve stayed in, but the food certainly was one of the better ones and the refurbishment in the public areas is of a high quality.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the greens.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Well where to start here, we booked out tickets some time ago, at £15 per adult and £22.50 per child I expected this to be "Magical" however :- you get to the venue which I must say looks very nice with plenty of little trees with fake snow all over and all around the ground it looks great, especially on your photos, that I was impressed with.
When you start the journey you go and see some artefacts and there is a sleigh that you can take your photos with the kids sitting on.
You then go and see "Mrs Santa", so being the wife of Father Christmas you'd expect an older lady, maybe telling an old tale of Christmas past. The reality is, she was around 25 maybe not quite the right age to be Santa's Wife, depends how you look at that though. She was good at telling the story to the children however just didn't fit quite right for me. You could even hear the room next door shouting through as in there, was the King Elf.
The next room, well, that was supposed to be the King Elf. He loved cracking the jokes but all was of an adult humour which the kids had no idea what he was on about, he got the kids involved by holding several items but really was pointless. This was a thumbs down.
The train journey was next up, looking forward to this, (after watching the polar express) I thought this is it :)
Well we got on the train, which went about 200 yards around some more snowy trees and that was it!! We then went into a tent to see Jack Frost who to be fair did nothing more than buy a bit of time to get everybody into a tent from the train so we all stayed together, he was a nice chap, but again could not see the point.
We then walked through a few more trees (about the same distance as our train ride) and went to see a magician whilst waiting to see Santa.
The magician was great, to be fair he was the highlight of the trip.
Santa was good, in a little cabin in the woods, then you come out look at several reindeer and that's it folks. You can buy photos on your way out though but these were quite expensive, didn't get those as had own camera.
To sum it up, it was ok in parts but don't expect a "Magical" journey, because to be honest the Wonderland at Telford Town Park is far far far better and not as expensive.

Stayed December 2014
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A few minutes driving from the M 42 with its traffic congestion and speed restrictions, we were driving along a treelined avenue, where every tree was bathed in white light. The entrance to The Belfry at this time of the year is enchanting and magical.
Booking in was easy, but it did take six minutes to walk to our room on the first floor and the lift was out of order. The room itself was excellent, spacious, clean, welcoming, and very comfortable. Two black and white photos of the Ryder Cup hung on the walls and there was a very pleasant view overlooking lawns with the golf course in the distance.
A seven minute walk to the Ryder Grill helped build an appetite. We had a choice of a la carte or the Chef's Table, we chose the latter. I do not recall seeing any prices/costs displayed, so the bill was a surprise. You help yourself for starters and the main course. The food was well prepared and presented, well cooked without being overcooked and was quite delicious. We were well looked after without being fussed over. The decor was superb, the Christmas decorations obviously helped. Our only quibble was that music was played throughout the evening and again at breakfast - it was unnecessary, no-one listens to it, it rarely is our choice of music in any case.
Overall it was a very successful and happy experience. Next time we will use the leisure facilities.

Room Tip: Difficult to say, but check that the lift is working if you have a first floor room.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

After reading all the bad publicity and the negative feedback on Trip Advisor, I thought it would be fair to the Belfry to write a good review. The thing with Trip Advisor is people only really come on to write the bad reviews as they feel angry about their trip and need to take it out on someone. It is a shame the Belfry has to suffer the poor reviews for a third party mistake.

Anyway it was a pretty good experience, all the staff (elves) were smiling from ear to ear, even the ones standing in the freezing cold all day were still smiling. Everything ran smoothly, everywhere was busy and it was pretty excellent if you ask me.

The best bit was Father Christmas, probably a lad in his thirties underneath all the hair but he treated our daughter like it was his one and only visit, caring and gentle, spending time talking to her, not rushing in fact it seemed like we were in there ages, the longest I've ever been in a room with Father Christmas anyway.

Try not to go there looking for faults because you know what's happened. Just go with an open mind and you'll love it.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Belfry? Share your experiences!