“SO MANY CONTRADICTIONS” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   The Green, Tanworth in Arden B94 5AL, England   |
Bristol, United Kingdom
“SO MANY CONTRADICTIONS”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed two nights and I'm still not quite sure what I thought of The Bell Inn!
First impression was typical - classic English pub situated on the village green next to the church in a picture postcard setting UNTIL you step inside and find that instead of the expected horse brasses and decor full of age and character a 'designer' had been let loose last October and transformed the whole interior into a cross between a city centre gastro pub and a tart's boudoir in at least 50 shades of grey. The only tiny bit of character left was in the cramped corridor to the toilets where there were at least some cartoon caricatures and reference to motor sport ace Mike Hailwood (whose grave is in the churchyard).
My room was the grandly named 'Jumeaux Room' where (possibly unfortunately) the shades of grey designer had not been at work. It was not in the main building but was the ground floor of a converted barn at the rear. It was a bit frayed round the edges but perfectly clean and tidy with the exception of the dusty red artificial rose mentioned by a reviewer in April. The bed was very comfortable despite the fact that the mattress didn't quite fit the wooden bed frame and everything else was totally adequate with one exception - the toilet. I have never come accross such a small toilet in such a small space. The width between the wall and the bath/shower panel was just 18.5 inches and the 'hole' created by the toilet seat was just 8.5 inches wide and 11.5 deep. I am not small nor exceptionall large but it was quite a logistical and ergonomic challenge to get me and my bits in precisely the right place! But hey - this was their cheapest room and was only costing £32.50 a night.
Breakfast was not included and this was the next strange bit. The options were 'full english' at £11, 'continental' or 'fry up' both at £6. I opted for the 'fry up' which was superb - sausage, 2 rashers of bacon, large slice of fried bread, two eggs, mushrooms, baked beans, good chunk of black pudding and a large well cooked tomato. This came with renewable coffee and a large jug of orange juice - so by my reckoning cereal and toast costs £5!
Without exception the staff were helpful and friendly especially the breakfast lady,drink prices were reasonable and restaurant food was well cooked and presented.
Sitting on the village green , pint in hand, listening to the bell ringers practice on a lovely warm evening perhaps gave me rose tinted specs but (mini-loo apart) I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: rooms within the main building are more expensive but have been re-furbed
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lancs UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed one night here on a business trip .My room was in an annexe building in the car park so I cannot comment on the rooms in the main building. Considering the inn has recently been renovated I was disappointed, the decor was tired and grubby, dated looking and when I opened the wardrobe the door fell off!!The room was clean I cannot fault that but what I can say is that the walls ( or should I say ceiling is paper thin. I could literally hear EVERY move the person in the room above made, snoring. trips to the loo etc all night. I didn't have an evening meal but the breakfast was NOT worth the £9 I paid for it .Disappointing because the inn is situated in a beautiful village and has so much potential.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex have thin walls and little privacy from the car park
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Gosport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Words cannot describe my stay here. Nice greeting. Food was top notch. Waitress was nice despite having a dodgy ankle and was visibly struggling but kept smiling and dealing with a busy rerstaurant. Room was cleverly designed and appointed.

Room Tip: i was in Pago Pago which was first floor at the back.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking for a close get away and stumbled upon The Bell at tanworth in arden by mistake, it took our eye as it was exactly what we were looking for a nice pub and somewhere to sleep. When we arrived we were very surprised as it is situated in a lovely village opposite a grand church, with lovely views.
Entering The Bell we received a warm welcome by a female member of staff at the time, we were very impressed with the decor which later the management informed us it had just been refurbished.
After a mix up with our rooms we were shown to the Moorea room which we were hugley impressed by, even tho it didn't have a view the room definitely made up for it, it was spacious and well equipped for what we needed (hair dryer, television, tea coffee etc). Plus the famous oval bath was perfect to unwind after a stressful day.
Our evening meal was served and catered for superbly. The staff were very friendly and attentive. We could not fault the meal. The menu consisted of traditional and yet modern meals. The food was piping hot and well presented.
We had a choice of three breakfast's and refillable drinks and again this was faultless.
When we came to pay the bill we were surprised as it was very good value for money, we had 2 three course meals so we got the room for half price which I personally think is a great money saving deal.
Overall we were very impressed and would recommend The Bell to our friends and family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I recently had lunch at this wonderful inn with 3 work colleagues. The “English tapas” gave a great new twist to some traditional choices and was very well received by all, as was the superbly cooked roast of the day. The choice of wine on the menu was better than most similar establishments complimented by a good selection of draught bitters and larger.

The waitress was attentive without being over bearing and service was prompt. The location is very quintessential English with the green church and pub. All in all a definite location we will use again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

An excellent stay. Very good quality accomodation for good value plus we had a misunderstanding with our booking due to our party being 7 adults and 5 kids and we needed an extra room which they very kindly did not charge extra for.

Modern tasteful accomodation with a nice bar, good quality food and a hearty breakfast. You cannot ask for more given the abundance of pubs with poor accomodation or bland brands. Very good value too - the next night of our trip in Yorkshire which was spent at one of these which effectively cost the same with breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Just a quick note to say thanks for a really lovely stay at The Bell . Great atmosphere, charming staff and host!
Followed by a totally outstanding meal ,more drinks and off to bed , room was just delightful , lovely breakfast, a perfect weekend ,congratulations and thank you,
Kind regards, Eric Osborne

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bell at Tanworth in Arden? Share your experiences!