“Absolute joke” 1 of 5 stars
Review of George Hotel

You added George Hotel to your Saves list
George Hotel
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   High Street, Shipston on Stour CV36 4AJ, England   |
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Absolute joke”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Havn't stayed at this hotel and really don't want to! We tried for 2 weeks to get a booking at this hotel we kept being told to call back at a later time or they just didn't answer the phone. when we were finally left a message by the Manager to call her back my boyfriend spoke to her. We gave her the dates of which we would like to book the hotel for and was told the voucher rooms were not available anymore and that if we wanted to stay in a bigger room we would have to pay £50!!! It states on the voucher that it is for a Superior King room subject to availability and these rooms were available when we were first trying to get through but because of their incompetence in answering the phone or getting back to our voice messages the rooms are not available any more. I am extremely unhappy with the way my boyfriend was spoke to by the Manageress and her customer service skills are diabolical! As a Manageress she should be doing everything in her power to satisfy her customers because at the end of the day it's not our fault they couldnt answer the phone for 2 weeks or didn't reply to our answer phone messages so it is their fault the rooms are not available any more therefore we should be given a free upgrade for the inconvenience THEY have caused us. I will be complaining to KGB Deals about this hotel and I will NOT be staying there. I would rather stay somewere that deals with their customers without an attitude and solves their customers complaints without asking for an extra £50!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Have visited twice now on Groupon voucher. Food nice, staff very friendly & accommodating . We upgraded & stayed in the"chocolate room"- could not fault it! The only downfall for me was the location....as I'm a woman NOT enough SHOPS, although i did manage to get some frogs legs from the deli to take home! As for my husband it was ideal ( he didn't have to traipse around shop after shop)!!!

• Stayed May 2012
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Two nights stay bought for us as a present .The hotel was quite nice and the staff were friendly.The town is very small and quiet {lovely}. Our first night we ate out at a local pub and the meals were some of the best we have ever had ,we really recommend the HORSESHOE PUB. At breakfast the next morning we both wished we were back in the pub.We both had a full English priced at £8,25 ,if it had not been part of the deal i would have sent it back and refused to pay for it my wife is a good eater and she barely touched hers and i did little better.Needless to say we ate out during the day and went back to the HORSESHOE in the evening.This morning the help yourself part of breakfast was even worse equipped than yesterday ie there was nothing there .We both had a sandwich for breakfast one sausage which was undercooked and cold ,also left uneaten the other bacon which we shared was not to bad except for the price of £5.00 each. I would have to say that i dont know if i would stay again , but certainly would not if i had to pay full price as our stay was certainly NOT VALUE FOR MONEY.

birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My fiancée's sister bought us a gift experience for Christmas, and when looking through the website, we found The George Hotel. When we first called to book, we left a message and no one came back to us, BUT when we finally got through to book, all went smoothly. As it was my birthday while we were away, my fiancée had contacted the hotel to ask for a special breakfast to be laid on for me as a surprise. Although I didn't know about it, she later said that the staff were really helpful and put themselves out to make the breakfast special, they even made the extra effort to delight us with pancakes for an after breakfast treat - as my birthday was pancake day. All of the food we had at the hotel was exquisite; compliments to the chef and his team! The majority of the staff were friendly, helpful and very polite. The bar and restaurant were both authentically styled with a contemporary twist - much like the rooms, and all areas were clean and tidy, and well maintained considering the age of the building. The open fires and quiet backing music helped make the atmosphere relaxing; we really felt happy and relaxed there. My fiancée is asthmatic, and on the second night asked for a change of pillows from duck to non-allergic, this request was dealt with immediately. We stayed in the Oyster room - a medium sized room that was well stocked with free goodies; neighbouring rooms and corridors were quiet so we didn't have any disturbed nights. We had no trouble sleeping on the very comfy bed, I particularly loved the walk in shower, the bathroom was fresh and clean despite having no window, but it didn't need it. It was a shame to leave after our second night, I could of stayed much longer and we definitely will be booking up again for another perfect getaway. Well done to all at The George, for making us so very welcome.

Kent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We came to this hotel for the last few days of October, using a Wow-Go voucher (two nights B&B for £99), but paid a few pounds extra to upgrade the room. We were allocated the Artichoke, it was spacious, comfortable and nicely furnished with tv, dvd and cd player. The bathroom was particularly well appointed and spotlessly clean. The breakfasts were excellent and the service was very good. We also ate dinner in the restaurant, which again was excellent and was priced similarly to that which we have paid elsewhere.

The hotel is old and for the most part still has the original floor, the furniture is old fashioned and there is large fireplace with an open log fire which adds to the ambiance. The hotel has a library, which doubles as a residents lounge, displaying a plethora of books, cd’s and dvd’s including some for children.

The bar was well stocked serving 3 real ales, a range of wines, continental lager and the usual array of “electric beers”.
To be critical, some of the furniture is in need of refurbishment, an odd rickety chair and a table or two that could do with some attention.
All in all we enjoyed our stay immensely and would happily stay again on a future visit to the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

well hmm... Like I said not what I was expecting paying £70 per night inc breakfast was not worth the stay. We arrived at lunch time on 9th feb 2013 & was waiting at reception for a while to get checked in the lady came over & just rushed us in & said we are busy as its lunch time, not a very warm welcome. The room was the avocado room was ok but very tight space & not that great, decided to skip the dinner & had dinner outside as we where not sure if we will get a good service. Had dinner at tandoori cottage which was good.We had breakfast the next day which was good & the service this time was ok but better thent he check in. The check out was ok again rushed was a boy this not sure about others but we surely did not have a good time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Heidi091, General Manager at George Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Having read your account of your visit, I am sorry that you did not feel that you had the best service here at The George, based on your check in and check out experience. I have spoken to the member of staff who checked you in and she freely admitted that the bar and restaurant were busy and that it was a very busy lunch service. We do not ,due to our small size, have a dedicated member of staff on reception, however check in is from 2pm and when lunch is really busy this can be up until 3pm, so apologies that we were busy and you felt that you were rushed. The girl who saw to your arrival did also explain that she went out to the car park with you to advise on parking and the proximity of your bedroom and that the rain was exceptionally heavy and you all seemed keen to get in the dry! I do not however feel that a slightly hurried check in would result in you not wanting to dine with us, so hearing that is very disappointing, as we have a lovely menu and restaurant which outshines the Tandoori Cottage - unless a curry is actually your preference. The Avocado room despite being an annexe to the building on the ground floor, is decorated in the same quirky way as the rest of the Hotel, it has a king size bed and lovely large walk in shower and for a Hotel on the cusp of the Cotswolds on a Saturday evening is worth £70 bed & breakfast.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We purchased a KGB deal for £89 2 nights B and B in a king size room with glass of wine on arrival, and on that basis this hotel is a great bargain. We arrived on a Monday for 2 nights but had to engage in a bun fight with the only member of staff who seemed to be intent on fast tracking himself to hotel management oblivion. After being given the room advertised by the voucher we were very impressed by the other members of staff throughout. Unfortunately our initial experience gave us little enthusiasm to sample their restaurant, but we ate spectacularly well at the Shipston Bengal just around the corner (along with other George guests). The bar and restaurant are atmospheric and a great place to relax for a drink, the breakfasts were very good indeed, the eggs benedict fantastic. If you stay in the chilli room at the top of the stairs above reception don't expect to have uninterrupted rest, the 'phone went both nights at 1 o'clock and someone seemed to have noisy jobs to do emptying drawers throughout the night. Make your own mind up; we were happy with our deal but I would have walked immediately if we were greeted in the way we were otherwise.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that not all of your stay here at The George was enjoyable.
On the Monday that you arrived at the Hotel, myself and my colleague were in the reception area along with another member of staff out in the bar area, I clearly remember your arrival. My colleague showed you to your allocated room which is one of our 'comfy' rooms as per our agreement with KGB. You quoted the picture shown on the KGB website which is a 'roomy' room and encouraged as an upgrade. As you seemed unhappy, my colleague swiftly came down and got the key for the Chilli room, and it was agreed that you would stay in this room for 2 nights at no extra cost. I am disappointed as to how having quickly accommodated you in a room that you were happy with you then felt this experience resulted in not wishing to dine with us and opt for a curry. I have checked our residents book and the restaurant diary, and out of the 11 rooms we had staying with us (including yourselves) 8 rooms dined with us and the other 2 rooms who went to the Bengal were staying for several nights so I would not expect them to eat with us every night. We very much recommend the Bengal as we understand that people require diversity during their stay.
The Chilli room being upstairs close to reception can be a little noisy but I would not expect this after midnight as we have all gone home by then and it is just the nightporter. He does no work in the office during his overnight shift ,but he is aware that you have mentioned the noise so sorry that this disturbed you but we're not sure what this could have been. We are now shutting the reception door incase noise of him working in the bar area is travelling upstairs.
I do hope that there is the opportunity for you to visit us again and enjoy the fanstastic Eggs Benedict, along with all aspects of the Hotel without any diassapointment next time.

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!