“Saw it on the hotel inspector...to stay or not to stay? The latter!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grosvenor Hotel

You added The Grosvenor Hotel to your Saves list
The Grosvenor Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81-87 Clifton Road, Rugby CV21 3QQ, England   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Rugby
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Saw it on the hotel inspector...to stay or not to stay? The latter!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Initially I was weary of this hotel upon reading the reviews on this website and watching the hotel inspector, but nevertheless I risked it and booked into the Grosvenor for two nights at the beginning of February. I had two meetings to attend in the town centre. Firstly, the location is superb and secondly the decor is not as bad as other people described on here. I stay in hotels up and down the country and used to the bland generic layout. Here, I was pleasantly surprised that there was character about the place and the staff were approachable and could hold a conversation (believe me this is found rarely in hotels). The best part of the hotel in my opinion is the restaurant and bar. Great food and good drinks. I can understand the rooms need some attention but they are still to a decent standard. No sign of the infamous Bal, the main star of the hotel inspector show, I took this as a good omen after watching the show! If you are looking for a 5 star accomodation you are in the wrong town, people moan and moan on here but I could not fault the hotel as much as other reviews have, I was content during my stay! Ps. They show ALL the football games here on as big screen tv in the bar, in my books that's a good sign..oh and free Wi-Fi, always a good thing! Each to their own I guess...

Room Tip: Look out for George, really nice chap usually on the bar!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
ManagerGrosvenor, Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel, we look forward to welcoming you in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Just thought I would share my experience with you about this Hotel. I would advise you not to go as it was terrible. My boyfriend and I went this weekend to a gig in Rugby, and checked into the hotel. The male receptionist was friendly enough and showed us to our room. The room was appalling. The shower head was broken and kept falling down, there was no mirror in the bathroom for my partner to shave, the bedside lights had no bulbs and the overhead light had missing bulbs as well. There was a nice new tv in the room...but no aerial! The radiator was on full blast and bearing in mind the room was smaller than a box room - it was so hot it was like being in a sauna. They had removed the controls on the radiator so you couldnt turn it down. My partner went and told the receptionist about all the items that werent acceptable, and to be fair, we were immediately offered a replacement room. When we got back to the room we were given a slightly better room - but our bags hadnt been moved. My partner went down to reception only to find the receptionist asleep behind the desk! He gently nudged him awake, the man got up and walked around the desk and laid down on the settee in reception to go back to sleep. When my partner woke him again, he then went behind the desk and sounded like he was vomitting...we eventually got the key and moved our luggage. The second room had no cold water in the sink so we brushed our teeth in hot water...the tiling around the toilet looked like I had done it - it was so bad, and you couldnt lock the door from the inside, the mattress was rock hard. The next morning we were served breakfast by the receptionist who was running backwards and forward between the two areas. Simply not acceptable at all. Next time I will stay in a Premier Inn. I would advise anyone else to do the same.

Room Tip: Go to the Premier Inn instead
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

The hotel is poor to average for the money you pay.
Cold water tap in my room was not working.

At night, they double charged my dinner. Ok, it happens. I was told I could have asked for my money back as soon as I had a confirm from my bank. After 4 phone calls and 2 weeks I still haven't managed to get my money back.

The waitress looked confused when we asked for separate bills and bring one for the three of us.
The guy at the reception at check out could not provide a receipt.

Not coming back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Would like to sincerely apologise for your experience with us
Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Me and my husband had our wedding reception here on 13/08/11 and have very mixed views on the quality of service. My main problem was the management. Communication prior to our reception was appauling. The first meeting we had with the manager Bal to initially look round the venue was great, he gave us all the information we needed and the hotel was currently undergoing refurbishment with the hotel inspector tv programme, which was fine so we made the decision to go with them for our wedding reception after looking round various venues in rugby, it was best value for money. After that several meetings were arranged with Bal and then his wife but twice they did not show...On the second occasion we turned up with our 10mth old baby and the doors were not even open.This was about 3 weeks prior to our wedding.As you can imagine panic started to take over.So close to the wedding and not to show up was awful. When I finally got to speak to someone it was a gentleman called George and he could not have been more helpful and I arranged to meet with him instead of Bal. He restored my faith in the grosvenor hotel as I was very close to cancelling the booking. He did everything he possibly could of done to help me with the last minute bits, and just wish I could of dealt with him to start with. On the actual day of our wedding I can not fault george and his team of staff as they were so helpful.The food was amazing the staff were friendly. There is nothing I would do to actually change anything on the day. The only thing that was slightly dissapointing was the bridal suite. It just looked very dated and like a standard room not a bridal suite. That definately needs updating. It was nice touch with champagne in room etc.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the kind words with regards to the wedding, we do sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel in September 2011. She was born in Rugby and we stayed there. The staff were very friendly,courtious and very helpful. The restaurant and our meals very great and well presented.The accommodation was excellent.It was one of the highlights of our trip.We're from Australia.

Room Tip: Don't look around for other accommodation, go straight to the Grosverner. Youwon't be disapp...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagerGrosvenor, Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel and restaurant, and we look forward to welcoming you when you're back in England next

Thanks
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Passing by rugby wanted a place to stay with my partner, did know about this hotel from TV hotel inspector, so i thought i would give it a try. i loved it. Peaceful sleep, fantastic food and great staff very helpful.
I would recommend this to anyone wanting a hotel in rugby

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel and restaurant. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you in the future
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

If you are looking for a hotel with no or very little character then dont bother with this little beauty...I have been staying here since October 2010 and was looking for something that I can call home whilst I am working and staying in Rugby. So what if the rooms are not to the Ritz standard, they certainly have character!!!! The food is superb with a nice varied menu and the staff are always extra glad to help and serve. If ever I have had a 'serious' problem with my room it has been dealt with immediately and efficiently.

Would definately recommend this hotel if you are looking for a place to eat in Rugby and would certainly recommend it if you are looking for a permanent place to stay whilst on business in Rugby. I would not recommend this hotel to 'snobs' who expect to be pampered and have gold plated taps in their bathrooms, go book the Ritz in London and commute to Rugby!!

Thanks guys for everything and please do not modify the rooms too much !!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel and restaurant, we are glad that you gave enjoyed your stays with us, and look forward to seeing you soon

Been to The Grosvenor Hotel? Share your experiences!