“Inedible cajun chicken burger and this was AFTER sending back a disgusting tasting beefburger.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Royal Oak

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Rugby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Went to Hungry Horse Hillmorton tonight to celebrate our daughter's parents' eve success. Very disappointed by the food we were served. The service was good but the food inedible. Ordered 3 burgers, one was for our 6 year old, ordered from the children's menu. Even though signs said children eat for £1 on Tuesdays they didn't explain that this would be charged at full price if a coupon was used. They also didn't point out that if we ordered her drink and a dessert at the time of ordering her meal we could add it for less than if deciding to add it later. The food arrived. My husband and daughter said their burgers were ok - not great, my daughter hated the peas (I tasted them too - cardboard flavour describes them best) but my burger was inedible. It didn't taste of beef and I'm not sure it was fresh. I sent it back saying I'd have the cajun chicken burger. I was told this would take 5 mins, fine, it did but when it arrived the chicken tasted plastic, was as hard to cut as plastic and was not even warm. I sent this back. I received an apology and was asked if I wanted anything else to which I replied not if the rest is of the same calibre. I was then offered a drink. I expected this was compensation but was later charged for the drink, although they told me that "we have taken the burger off the bill". Wow thanks for that! It was the least I would expect. When my husband went to pay he didn't argue about the drink but handed over a coupon for 20% discount from Invitation books. He was not told that if he used it all other promotions (eg free drinks with burgers and kids meals costing £1 would not count and ended up paying more than he would have done. NOT IMPRESSED!

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Kent
“Couldn't fault”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Went New Years Day has booked a table in advance. We were sat immediately and drinks order taken. Unbelievable choice of food at great prices. Order and pay for food at the bar. Food all came together, hot and very generous portions. Staff very attentive despite being busy. All meals were very tasty. We were pleasantly surprised and will definitely recommend.

Rugby, United Kingdom
“nice surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Rang at 9.30am Sunday morning to book a table for 15 people at lunch time, very helpful, and nicely surprised at the quality of the food and the service, everyone got their food at the same time, Pleasantly surprised about the cost too for so many of us. Barman did get a bit muddled with the drinks order, but was put right straight the way. Everyone enjoyed their meal.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
“nice setting, food average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Dined here at lunchtime with a disabled lady at the end of September.Access was fine and parking fairly close.service initially was fantastic, served by a very cheerful chap who brought our order quite quickly after ordering at the bar.The food was average but didn't expect much when paying £8.49 for two mains.pastry on cauliflower cheese pie was microwaved and revolting but cheesy contents were nice.not sure what was wrong with the butters that came with the jacket potato but they looked odd, ( probably frozen and microwaved) salad seemed a bit brown at the edges. Ham and eggs is a large meal, two eggs two large pieces of ham and chips.Feeling we could manage a desert I ventured over to the bar from our waterside view table and found a girl who took the order.15 minutes later I returned to find out why it was taking longer than the main to come out when the pub was almost empty.finally 25 minutes after ordering we received deserts and I can highly recommend the huge chocolate fudge sundae which took 3 times longer to eat than the treacle sponge and custard.Very filling and tasty.might just have the desert next time.!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Far Far Away
“Nice time ruined by others”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Took the family to the Hungry Horse for tea hoping they could burn some energy in the play area. Idea was sound, outcome ruined by the group of unruly children hellbent on destroying the bouncy castle which their parents thought was hilarious.

Even when the manager came out to ask them to stop, the parents decided he was being unreasonable! Although it had obviously interrupted the consumption of wine and pints to defend the brats trying to put the castle in the canal.

Apart this, the food was good, we ordered a selection from the menu including desserts for the kids. All the food arrived at the same time and was cooked through.

Staff were friendly and attentive throughout the visit although did seem a bit harassed as mentioned in a previous review. Would have been very good if not for the other patrons spoiling it.