“Good room and restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 Railway Terrace, Rugby CV21 3HE, England   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Rugby
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sao Paulo, SP
“Good room and restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Very nice hotel, good room and excelent restaurant. The roast beef is fantastic!! Location is great because it is very close to the train station.Reception is a mix of reception and bar...
Staff is great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
JasRugby, Owner at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel and restaurant. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Rugby, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I attended a birthday lunch at the Carlton, we were a group of 17 however ther service and food were both excellent. The food was all freshly prepared and piping hot. We were served quickly and professionally which given the varied nature of our order was appreciated.

My starter and main course, which came with potatoes and three freshly prepared vegetables was very tasty and so filling I couldn't manage a dessert, I was too full. Desserts are served off a trolley, all looked really appetising but there was just not enough room in my tummy for one! Next time I would skip a starter and save space to try as others in our party really enjoyed them. There was a lovely touch when the birthday girl's dessert was served, the restaurant put a birthday candle into it and served it lit for us to sing Happy Birthday to her.

I hadn't eaten at the Carlton for many years so what amazed me even more was that my meal, with a coffee and tip cost less than £11.00 - excellent value for money too. I will definitely return for lunch and highly recommend that you eat from the prix fixe lunch menu.

The only concern for me is parking, there are few spaces in the hotel car park, which is quite tight but there is on-street metered parking outside the venue.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you ever so much for taking time to write this kind review of our restaurant. We will look forward to having you dine with us for lunch again soon.
Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Myself and my husband celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary with a lovely meal at The Carlton Hotel and it was perfect. There was a good choice of food on the menu and the quality was fantastic. The staff provide traditional, friendly and attentive service and their knowledge of the menu and recommendations were great.

The portion sizes for a restaurant were really good offering great value for money. It is a perfect restaurant for special occasions offers a relaxed dining experience, we would defiantly dine there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
JasRugby, Owner at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Many thanks for your positive comments on our restaurant. We will look forward to seeing you here at The Carlton for future anniversaries and occasions!
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was my third visit to the Carlton and on every occasion I can honestly say I have not had better meals anywhere, the quantity and quality is as good if not better than a lot of so called 'posh' restaurants. The service is always first class and all staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are always clean and comfortable and it makes my travelling round the country a lot easier to actually look forward to staying somewhere. There will always be small problems wherever you stay, narrow stairs in main hotel building, small car park, slightly noisy road (things that can't be changed by the owner anyway) but if it's a pleasant little hotel in the Rugby area that you need then The Carlton is a must. If nothing else go there for a meal!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
JasRugby, Owner at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
We thank you ever so much for your kind review of The Carlton.
We are glad that you always enjoy your stays with us and meals in our restaurant.
We shall look forward to welcoming you back again and again!
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Enjoyed a delcious Sunday Lunch at the Carlton Hotel. Helpful, attentive friendly staff food well presented, homemade yorkshire pudding and perfectly cooked fresh vegetables. Thank you! Will definately visit again and would not hesitate recommending to family and friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
JasRugby, Owner at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a complimentary review about your sunday lunch here at The Carlton. We would look to look after you again soon.
Brecon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Waitresses very helpful throughout.

Evening meal was very scrummy and a good portion size for the money.

Breakfast, was nice, only having poached eggs on toast, which is not rocket science it was still nice.

I had my breakfast at 7.20am due to work commitments, however if staying on holiday/leisure, I would say that breakfast may end a little early around 9am.

My only gripe was that all rooms are advertised as having a radio alarm clock, mine did not.

I stayed in a cosy 'superior' room, where all furniture is modern style oak, with designer bedding and decoration. The bathroom was also a good size.

Defintly check it out if you are in the area looking for somewhere to stay!

Room Tip: Parking may be a slight issue. onthe roadside parking is under a permit of 1hr between 8am and 6pm M...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
JasRugby, Owner at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review. It was a pleasure to look after you. We have now altered our text on our website and booking.com regarding the radio/alarm clock- the radio being built into the tv. We do provide a wake-up call alarm service if you should wish to take advantage of this upon your next stay with us. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Faversham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I arrived late at night and was sent out across the dark car park and up some outside steps to another building. I felt rather vulnerable as I didn't know whether I was the only person in the building. Later I realised I wasn't alone as the walls were thin enough to hear the plumbing from the next room. The en suite shower room, towels, tea and coffee making stuff were great but there was only one thin pillow and the single room was so small that there wasn't room for a bed side light so the lighting seemed very stark. It was a short walk from the station however and the kind receptionist ordered me a taxi in the morning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
JasRugby, Owner at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your review. As a result of your feedback, we have instructed our electrician to improve the courtyard lighting and provide a reading light in your bedroom. Please note that we always provide additional pillows- and these can be found in your wardrobe. We hope to welcome you again when you are next in the Rugby area.

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!