“Don't let the outside fool you!” 2 of 5 stars

Bosworth Hall Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Park, Market Bosworth CV13 0LP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Market Bosworth
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Don't let the outside fool you!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We have just returned from an awful night away at the Bosworth Hall Hotel.

We were staying as a night away as part of my boyfriends birthday trip and were very disappointed. We were greeted by a friendly helpful receptionist who advised us to book a table for dinner. We arrived at 6 and were ready to eat almost immediately but were told due to Xmas, yes Xmas, parties we were unable to eat until 7.45!

We decided to drop our bags to the room and refresh while waiting but when we got to the room we were greeted with 70's wallpaper which was peeling away from the wall, a bed very close o the paper thin walls and door and tv that was made in the 80's. The bathroom left a lot to be desired, the shower was made for people under 5 foot and went from hot to cold with no warning!

Due to horrors we faced in the room we decided to sit and wait in the bar and have a few drinks, we were then told we couldn't pay by card or add it to our hotel room as the system was down but the village had a cash point! After a trip to the village we came back to eat our carvery dinner which wasn't bad apart from the tiny plates and the rocks posing as roast potatoes!

The bar area after was overrun with pensioners from the Xmas coach turkey and tinsel run so we reluctantly retired to our room. We were then kept awake from everyone returning from their evening and someone above us snoring - yes the walls are that thin!

After 4 hours sleep we went to have a not bad breakfast and some flavourless coffee and tea, again joined by the pensioners!

If we hadn't had this as a cheap deal I would be a lot more annoyed than I am but the price saved it slightly.

To sum up, if you have a passion for 70's decor, 70's food and are a heavy sleeper this is the place for you!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just back after a couple of nights at Bosworth Hall with by partner. Got a great deal with Britannia Hotels. The carvery at night was great plenty of food and the desserts were very yummy. The buffet breakfast again was good - plenty of choice - cereal, fruits, full english breakfast, fruit juice and tea or coffee (we had booked dinner, bed and breakfast). To work off all the food we used the Spindles pool/sauna/steam room - very relaxing and a great way to chill out. At night we had a wander around the Hall which is very impressive. Unfortunately we didn't get to meet the residence ghost!!! The surrounding area is very beautiful some great walks. Can't understand the negative comments - may be they were stopping at a different place!!! Would highly recommend Bosworth Hall - great value for money

Sutton Coldfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Having stayed here recently, I must say Brittania Hotels.....how things have changed and not for the better, I am sorry to say!!

We used to come here regular a few years ago now and decided to have a quick last minute get away/treat....only there was no treat.

Staff, I cannot fault......my gripe would relate to the musty smelling rooms, in need of redecoration and the the poor quality of the food (carvery) breakfast was great!!! We are not big eaters, nor greedy....but to have to eat by what I would describe as child size plates, is a little bit insulting and I am sorry to say the food was awful!!! The roast potatoes or should I say rocks were inedible, in-fact I would go as far as to say they were re-heated the brocolli cheese was literally slop in a tray.......it made Crown Carveries look 5* I was not aware of an upgrade, as this is not offered to you when booking in, please do consider this is stopping here!

What a shame as this was a fabulous hotel, years ago.....shame things have slipped!!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I visited this hotel for a two day break for her birthday. I found the deal in an email I get from Travelzoo. We arrived at the hotel two hours before check in.....The only reason we went in to the hotel to was to locate the reception and to ensure the booking was in order. The lady on the reception did check our booking and also if our room was ready(without asking) but unfortunately it wasn't. We asked the lady how far it was too the village.....the distance is around a five minute walk through the car park and down the side of the church. My wife asked if there was any coffee shops and if any were recommended. The lady said yes and recommended one called pumpkins......and what a recommendation it was.....I had a cheese scone and I have never seen them as big....fresh out the oven so it was warm.....only £1.50...My wife had a fruit scone with jam and cream. The coffees were great as well.
The village is a lovely place with shops that are very quaint and olde worlde.....Everyone we met there was very friendly. There are 3 pubs in the village....one we never saw open which is the Black Horse......The Dixie is a pub which has modern decor but a lovely open fire. The Ye Old Red Lion was the pub that we preferred and were made to feel welcome on all 4 visits we made....My wife was particularly taken with the mulled wine on offer. I hasten to add that we didnt visit all the pubs before returning to the hotel to check in.
When we returned to the hotel we were able to check in and made our way to the room. We were in the main part of the hotel on the 1st floor at the end of a corridor which meant that we didn't get disturbed by other gurests....in fact we only heard one person on each night walk past. As with other reviewers comments the rooms and parts of the hotel could do with a make-over but in this climate maybe the finances aren't readily available. The room was ample for us and the bathroom facilities were mainly clean...the shower was very strong and when my wife ran a bath it filled in double quick time. Once we had unpacked we made our way down to the bar area and sat and had a drink...This is where our one bad incident happened and as I am taking this up with the hotel manager and it doesn't concern the staff or service or indeed anything about the hotel I wont go into any detail. Drinks in the bar are very reasonably priced for a hotel. After the drink we went back into the village as the wife was fancying another mulled wine.
We had booked in for our evening meal at 8pm. It is called Jenny's carvery and you have a buffet carvery. The choice is very good but the veg could be a wider choice. Its a three course set up and the puddings are to die for as you have so many choices.
As mentioned by other reviewers there are losts of people on the coaching holidays however they have their meals at set times and you can book to avoid these if you wish. The staff in the carvery are mainly friendly although a couple could learn the words please and thank you and smile....but to be fair 90% of them do. Breakfast is as good and is again a buffet with plenty of choices...cereals/croissants/fruit and yougurt and then the hot stuff. Tea and coffee is served in pots by the staff.....although its very cheap stuff......this is also the case with the drinks in the room.
During the day we went on a walk that was suggested by the owner of Pumpkins cafe the previous day. We walked down station road to the canal then along there to Sutton Wharf...where there is a lovely cafe to have a warm drink whilst watching the narrow boats go by on the canal. There were loads of boats moored up along the 3 mile walk. The tow path is mainly grass so be prepared for mud if the weather has been wet. When we had finished our coffee we started to waslk back on the otherside of the canal through Ambion Wood which brings you out at Bosworth Field the site of the Battle of Bosworth. Its free to walk round the field but costs are levied if you wish to have a guided tour from the visitors centre. We then made our way down the road out and across the fields back to Market Bosworth.....Its easy to navigate as there are posts with yellow arrows on them. You end up on a gated road which looks locked when you approach it but you just lift the chain over. We then made our way to the fish and chip shop to refuel after our 7.5 mile round trip. The chip shop is called the Batter of Bosworth.....food is nice but the portions aren't very big.
When we returned to the hotel we went into the health club to use the spa facilities. Lovely place and again friendly staff.....I aso booked my wife in for a treatment for the morning we were leaving. You have use of the gym/Saunas/jacuzzi and swimming pool. It costs £4 a visit if the package you are on doesn't include this in the price....I believe they do a family one for £10....Ours was included......you can reach the spa by either walking through the gardens or if its raining you can walk through the corridors of the hotel....A word of advice about the pool....although there is a lift to take take disabled people down to the chaning rooms you have to climb a spiral staircase back up to the pool area.
As part of our deal we received a bottle of house wine for each evening meal.
Check out was easy but be aware the hotel charges a £2 admin fee per checkout....I hadn't realised this as we had booked through a travelzoo offer and not with the hotel.
All in all we had a lovely time and any questions we had were answered by two of the most friendly receptionists.
My wife has reminded me to say that the beds are very hard and this affected her sleep....she asked for a second quilt which is foled in half and laid on this which made it a little better. In my mind hotel beds are pot luck....some are soft and some hard.
Would definitely go back but maybe when the decorm is refreshed.
Parking is ample.
I had read some of the reviews and was a little apprehensive but it doesnt market as a 5 star so dont expect it.
There are many attractions in the surrounding area for all tastes but we chose to park the car up and not use it.
Definitely make time for a visit to the Ye Olde Red Lion

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

If you get the chance to take a bargain break at this hotel take it.The bathroom needed a little TLC .but you could not fault it's cleanliness.The staff were professional and friendly.Take full advantage of all the facilities and I can't wait for a second visit.

• Stayed November 2012
leamington Spa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed hear as an annivesary break just for 1 night . We left the children at home thank god we did u could hear everything people walking down the corridor next door . I got about 3 hours sleep . Food was quite good but service was awful . In the morning we waited 10 mins for a tea . Grounds were lovely and pool was good . We were in room 264 next door to a exit which didn't help as u could hear people opening and shuting it .

• Stayed November 2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Function rooms and grounds are lovely, but that's where it ends.

The rooms are outdated; peeling wallpaper and generally in need of refurbishment. Walls and ceilings are paper thin so a good night's sleep is out of the question.

Hotel twice tried charging us for breakfast, despite it being included in the price, not that I would have wanted to pay for it at all.

We paid £45 as a late deal, so it was just about worth it. Had we paid full price we would have been sorely disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bosworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!