It's a strange one to review, but here goes:
- Location - Remote but at the end of miles of bendy country roads, it is well situated next to the canal. Ideally suited if you are on a boat I guess.
- Atmosphere - Without our large group (of 28), I suspect that the pub would appear cold and lifeless. There were a couple of other small groups (local drinkers, no eaters) so I could not recommend it for a quiet meal out, unless you like your pub restaurant to be very quiet and lifeless!
- Staff - We had no experience of the poor service reported by other reviewers, so perhaps they have listened to the message!
- Skittles - Our group of friends were there to have a meal and to play skittles for a couple of hours. In this respect, the pub is well designed for such an evening and it was really good fun.
- Food - We had choices of 2 or 3 courses from a December (Xmas) menu. Personally, we found our food to be very tasty. Some others were not so happy but overall, I would say it was OK (hence my food score).
- Drink - A reasonable selection of beers etc. to enjoy and a couple of unusual bitters on tap when we went. Note: You will need a very sober driver to navigate the country lanes.
- Outside - There is a grassed area outside and I imagine that in the summer, it is very nice to sit outside and enjoy a pint overlooking the canal.
In summary - A pub which serves good food but which is best suited to larger groups which generate their own atmosphere. Apparently, a minimum group size of 20 is required to justify the skittles lane and catering etc. If you want to try somewhere different, I would say "give it a go".
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.