“Not your average pub” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Halifax
“Not your average pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were staying in the area & went here on Saturday evening. We were given a choice of eating in the pub or the restaurant,we chose the restaurant, which is a very nice area - modern country style. Staff were very attentive & friendly, we were given some lovely bread & balsamic oil for dipping whilst we waited for our food. I had starter & main course from the specials (hot goats cheese salad & pork loin) both very well cooked & presented. My husband chose from the menu - black pudding with poached egg & hollandaise, followed by fish & chips (which was enormous),both of which he thoroughly enjoyed. the bill wasn't too bad - more than your average pub meal, but not bad for a restaurant (which it is).
It was a shame that not more people were present,only 6 of us there on a Saturday night, I hope this was just a one off.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hollywood
“Excellent.......Staff, food and beer (!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

After passing this pub several times recently, I noticed that it had re-open. Being the curious type of creauture that I am decided that this watering hole should be investigated, and I am so glad I did. From the moment I entered I was welcomed by the delightful staff, and this simple hello and smile enticed me to stay.
Upon perusal at the bar I was very happy to see that rather than the bog standard dross that most pubs seem to have on offer, they have chosen some quality beers and as a cider drinker, impressed that they had gone for thatchers which is so much more of a delightful drink than the usual dross that is strongbow which most other pubs insist on serving.
After sampling a the cider, I became rather peckish and from the look of some of the food that was being brought out to the other diners this was a very easy decision to make. It was one of the specials that caught my eye and today it was Camembert. This was cooked to perfection and having almost an entire hot and fresh baguette to myself was heavenly.
Being a bit nosy I listened into other diners conversations and they to had nothing but praise for the food they were eating.
I liked the decor as it was modern but with out the pretentiousness that can be found in any generic soulless bar.
All the staff came accross very friendly and for the gentlemen the females are quite the eye candy, in particular the brunette bar maid that worked the day shift!

This pub would suit everybody and anybody as I noticed that they had a rather impressive beer garden with a lovely sized play area for the kiddly winks to play on.

I will most definately be making a return visit.

England
“I'll be back soon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I visited here with friends on a Saturday night and had a great evening. The staff were friendly and welcoming as was the pub itself which looks newly refurbished. Just inside the entrance there's an area with comfy settee's and coffee tables - with an open fire during the winter months I think it will be really cosy. All the meals were hearty portions - I had nachos to start followed by the veggie burger - both of which were really tasty (as I'm fussy I asked for both meals to be changed and I'm pleased to say my requests were followed). The veggie burger was super - a lovely thick 'meaty' burger, rather than vegetable mush that I've been served in other places with fried onions. Following our meal, we retreated to the comfy sofa's for dessert and coffee (I had decaf which was the nicest I've ever had so probably not instant which I get served in many places). Although I was too full to eat pudding, I wanted something sweet and was pleased to see they sell a small selection of 'kids' sweets and chocolate bars (Taz, chomps and other sweets) so I had a Taz which rounded off my meal perfectly.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food, Staff and we will be back!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I visited the Golden Cross on Saturday 21st September and was greeted with very friendly, polite and attentive staff. We all ordered starters, mains and desserts - the food was excellent with a very varied menu with a great selection which catered for even the fussiest of eaters - who was very impressed with the steak pie and also the vegetarians amongst the group. We then ordered freshly made coffees. Great value for money, excellent staff, food and venue - it's definately worth a visit. I shall be telling all my family and friends to take a visit.

Warwick
“Hope to visit again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went on a Monday night and it was very quiet, presumably because it's newly opened. The staff get 110% for friendliness and customer care, and the food was very good pub grub (we had pate, prawn cocktail, all day breakfast and lasagne with garlic bread - no complaints about any of it!). We used our Tastecard to get 50% off the food bill, but they have a very good offer of 2 main meals for £10.99 so either way would have been great value. Plus they have Thatchers Gold on tap, which is 10/10 in our book! Hopefully they can establish themselves a regular clientele, we'll definitely go back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere