“Ohh dear...” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Rugby Road, Dunchurch, Rugby CV22 6QW, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dunchurch
“Ohh dear...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

O Dear £70, for a shabby room in a shabby block of rooms, the room also smelt a bit odd (musty) on arrival, no TV remote, on a positive note reasonable speed free(?) broadband (as I would expect as a base line standard in any hotel these days), on top of the room fees, breakfast was £12 and Stella Back 4.80 a pint - I can buy it for less in London, and get served quicker, I had to wait 10 mins to be served in the bar at 9:30pm.

Then there is the walk from the car park to reception, then back to more or less to where you parked your car for your room, approx 150yd round trip, and if its wet, then so are you!

The hotel was handy for a next day conference, but the room was not good for work purposes whatsoever due to the lay out of the bed and “shelf thing”, and I wish I had stayed at one of the cheaper hotel options in town. Sorry much try a lot harder I would not stay here again, a reasonable rate would be £35 to £40!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I very rarely write reviews unless somewhere is exceptionally good - or exceptionally bad.
Being in the area for business on a regular (weekly) basis, I had very high hopes for the Dunchurch Park. However, to say I was disappointed would be an enormous understatement.
The main areas for disapointment include;

- After being waved in the 'general' direction of where I would find my room and left to find my own way to it, the hideous 1970 style concrete block accomodation was something of a shock - very ugly considering the very beautiful grounds. Remanis of old Butlins style accomodation!!

- Rooms tiny and certainly not at all welcoming nor somewhere you would want to - or be able to - relax in the evening after a hard day as there was no armchair or similar only an old office style chair - very bizarre.

- Very dated and tired decor
- Bedrooms grubby
-Shower pathetic and again very grubby.
- Ground floor accomodation with windows that open fully - a very definite security concern for lone female travellors
- No room service
- No hairdryer
- The TV had no BBC channels

- Generally the staff displayed a very apathetic attitude at best, at worst surly and rude.

Sadly - I wouldnt recommend this hotel to anyone - unless perhaps I didnt like them very much and certainly wont be recommending it to other colleagues on business trips in the area either. Shame as it promised so much from the website but delivered SO little.

Room Tip: Lower groud rooms have windows that open fully so lone female traveller might prefer to stay away fr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Southam, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I went to Dunchurch Park for a wedding reception and was very impressed. As it was a sunny day in June we took our reception drinks on the terrace which overlooked attractive landscaped gardens that fell away down to the lily pond and with fantastic views towards Braunston. The staff were friendly and helpful. The wedding breakfast was in the Great Hall that had plenty of room for the 80+ people and it was attractively decorated and furnished. The meal was enjoyable and everything was well organised by the MC. I was interested in the history of the house and at Reception the staff were very helpful and took copies of a short history of the house for me. There are two bars where guests could retire for drinks as well as outdoor eating. All in all this was an ideal venue

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I booked a single room at this hotel. I was a bit surprised at first when the receptionist handed me my key and told me the room was in the building next to the gym and pointed outside(like I even knew where the gym was)!! After finding my room- by myself- I was very surprised to find the door unlocked.

The first thing I noticed on entering the room was the extremely stained desk which was rather off putting. After settling myself in the very small room it became very apparent that the room had not been hoovered for quite some time. There was food under the desk and you could see bits of paper, dust in the corners, pieces of plastic and worse of all hairs everywhere on the carpet. The more I looked the more I could see.

On further inspection of the room I could see rubbish on the window sill, hand print smears all over the bathroom tiles and the bathroom door was filthy. In addition the towels looked like someone has dried their hands on them! I could not look any more in fear of what else I may find!

I promptly went to the reception to ask to speak to a manager. (which i then noticed that the reception area was also in great need of a good hoover!) When asked what the problem was I explained my situation. A maintenance man who was propping himself up on the reception counter ( with an open saw in his hand- hello health and safety!!) butted in asking what room I was staying in. Like it was any of his business!

The manager came after a 5 minute wait and I promptly asked him to come and see my problem with the room. I was absolutely disgusted to find the maintenance man and the receptionist (not the one I complained to, the one that was acting like she was getting on with her own work) in my room!!! On learning that I was not comfortable or happy that they went into my room without permission they both disappeared very fast.

I was so appalled at this that I demanded a refund. The manager who was useless by the way tried to offer me another room but I refused. The maintenance man and receptionist came back to the reception to say "we were only trying to see what the matter was and to make sure you could get a better room," I wasn't even dealing with that receptionist. My only thoughts on this matter was that they were obviously trying to cover something up!!

I ended up getting my full refund and needless to say I won't be going back!

Room Tip: Do no choose this hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Officereplies, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on trip advisor

We take complaints very seriously and when complaints are brought to our attention we endeavour to rectify any of our shortfalls.

Having looked at all the issues you raised I comment as follows.

Last Thursday 6th June – the day in question you arrived at approximately 3.30pm and asked if we had any bedrooms available, we were nearly fully booked and we offered you a double room for single occupancy at a very competitive rate. We never stated that the bedrooms are in the main building and as you are aware there is a comfortable 50 metre walk, umbrellas are provided just in case of wet weather. Directions were given and are simple to understand. I am still trying to establish why the door was unlocked, surely no real issue there!

I personally checked for the aforementioned stains and although you are correct, these are very light marks created by what looks like hot tea cups and someone used the desk as an iron board instead of using the iron board provided in each and every bedroom. I must challenge your view that the room is small, far from it.

As I already stated we were very busy and had some 200 guests coming in and out of the building, no wonder the reception area at 3.30 pm was not in the same state when the housekeeping team clean it in the morning and lunch time, this was also followed by a further clean by the evening chambermaid.

What I also established was that when you brought the “hygiene” issues to reception the second receptionist used her initiative – as the team is encouraged to do and went to inspect the bedroom herself and tried to address the issues while you waited for the duty manager. I feel the maintenance engineer deserve praise for showing interest in your complain as he too desired you had a pleasant stay with us. I also feel your comment “Like it was any of his business” is uncalled for. As to the hairs, I am told one was found, yes it shouldn’t have been there and I am waiting for the head housekeeper to return from her days off to discuss the other hygiene issues you raised and establish the reason behind the lack of attention to detail cleaning.

The manager in question is often praised for his customers’ services and was very surprised to read your comment. The staff did their utmost to accommodate your needs and expectations and have absolutely nothing to hide; furthermore you declined every offer they made.

I must ask why after occupying the bedroom for 2 hours you decided you did not wish to stay.

I conclude that this is the first time you reviewed a hotel and wonder how justifiable your review is, rewarding us with just 1 star. Dunchurch Park Hotel has a lot more to offer then just bedrooms, which you did not explore

George Briffa

Travelers are raving about these Dunchurch hotels

Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed overnight to attend a birthday celebration. Everything was superb - the best food we've ever had at a function of 70+. Everyone was impressed by the quality and presentation of the meal. Beautiful hotel with magnificent grounds. Our room was spacious and clean but not particularly stylish - quite adequate for purpose.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Daventry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

i would suggest that if you are disabled this is NOT the hotel for you.Facilities are very limited,and the staff are not trained .Hotel rooms are small and cramped.access to rooms by wheelchair are impossible.Not recommended

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I was travelling on business (hubby came along too) and was attracted by the fact it had a gym but also wanted to suss it out for a future conference for 40+ people. First impressions were great, the grounds and gardens are lovely and there was ample parking. I'm glad it was a nice day though - if it had been raining the walk between the car park, the room and the bar/reception would have been very tiresome in the rain!! The pics on the website are great but very misleading!! Our room was in a 1970s style block. The gym was very disappointing with the machines also coming from the 1970s and they didnt work! The room was ok even though it was small, although the cups were dirty and the shower was pathetic. Modern flat screen TV (tiny) and the free wifi worked fine. Although booking a room for two people there were only towels for one person. It took the very rude receptionist 3.5 hours to sort this out! There was no hairdryer in the room - although the instructions for the hairdryer were there. I commented on this on check-out but the rude receptionist wasnt bothered at all; he didnt even say thank-you or goodbye when I checked out. The bar and reception areas were modern and the bar staff very helpful. We didn't eat here through fear of further disappointment. Certainly wont be booking a conference here or returning on business which is a shame as the locaiton is great for regular trips to the area!

Room Tip: dont stay in Rochford building
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Dunchurch Park? Share your experiences!