“Family weekend get-together” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel

You added The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel to your Saves list
The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nr Stratford-Upon-Avon, Charlecote CV35 9EW, England (Formerly Coast & Country Charlecote Pheasant Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlecote
GreenLeadersBronze level
Northants
“Family weekend get-together”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife & I booked our stay via LateRooms.com on a bed and breakfast basis for 84 pounds for two nights 22nd & 23rd February. The purpose of our stay was to celebrate my mothers 80th birthday. My father paid substantially more for their "upgraded room" and on a half board basis (read ExHotelier review). Our room was a standard room on the first floor in the modern 80s block adjacent to the rear carpark. For the price we paid we were pleasantly surprised with the quality and size of the room having experienced other Coast & Country standard rooms. The one big issue we had about the accomodation was the poor sound proofing between bedrooms. Throughout our stay we were kept awake by either late night TV (had to telephone the next door room to ask them to turn the sound down), neighbours snoring then going to the toilet (with the full sound effects). We comforted ourselves with the knowledge that we had not paid a great deal for the room.
Breakfast was best described as adequate but the service was quite slow, this could well be due to fact the hotel was full and I think the staff were struggling to cope with the numbers. As a previous reviewer has stated, there were no croissants or bread rolls displayed, although they are listed on the menu. We both commented at the time that compared to other Shearings/Coast & Country Hotels the breakfast at Charlecote was not up to the usual standard. I just hope it hasn't changed at their other hotels as we are due to stay at Hunstanton at the end of this month.
When it came to the evening meal, as we were on a B&B basis we ordered from the A la carte menu which might be best described as adequate but would have expected better for the money. If it wasn't for my parents staying on a half board basis and we wanted to eat with them I don't think we would have choosen to eat at this hotel. Having experienced the Table d'hote menu I think my parents wished they had also booked on a B&B basis and taken dinner elsewhere.
Throughout our stay we found the bar and dining room staff very helpful and professional. However, at no point throughout the weekend did a manager make himself known to either my parents or us to ask how things were or to respond to my fathers concern about the lights in his bedroom.

Room Tip: Check if your room has WIFI 80's modern block has very poor noise insulation
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for the review of your recent stay at the Charlecote, I shall pass on your praise comments to the team. With regards to the commetns of Breaksfast we do offer a very good and varied selection of breakfast as in the case in our other Hotels, due to the lack of space we do not display the Bread rolls or Croissants, however they are available and served fresh from the Kitchen I am sorry if your Waiter/ess never exlpained this to you. With reference to the Table D hote Menu we offer a great selection and have had many great reviews on this and especially the A La carte Menu which is very reasonably Priced. I was off the weekend that you visited and The Duty Manager that weekend was named Stuart and as I have said in my reply to your Fathers review he spoke with him on several occasions and never once was any of his concerns/ complaints raised. Regards John McGhee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Biggleswade
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We took a 5 day Shearings break by coach during February the coach driver was superb.
The hotel was very nice we paid extra for our room which we would reccomend.The food was to the usual Shearings standard except the chefs specials were not very special! two nights running salads a lot of thought went into these specials !!!! The lounge is small but most guests went back to their rooms after dinner because there was no entertainment at all for the duration of our stay. We do not think this hotel would suit everyone the hotel is rather isolated with no suitable pavements to take an evening or daytime country stroll.All in all this was a nice break the hotel staff were the best of any Shearing we have ever been to . off on another Shearings trip to Weston Super Mare next week we will report on that on our return.

Room Tip: Pay extra for better room farmhouse area very nice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your Kind review of your recent stay, I shall pass on all your comments to the team, and shall speak with the Head Chef regarding variey of the Specials. We are very lucky to be set in such an nice and peacfull area, and I am glad that you enjoyed this. I hope that you enjoy Weston Supermare and hope to welcome you again at the Charlecote. regards John
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Had a midweek break in this hotel and it was great value for money with breaskfast and evening meal included in the price there is no much that can go wrong. Evening meal varied with a selection for every taste, room adequate and confortable. Great location to explore the area of Stratford and neighbouring villages and towns

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind review of your recent stay at TheCharlecote Pheasant We do offer great Value for money breaks, and I am so pleased that you both agree. We are ideally based to visit Stratford upon Avon and the Surrounding area ,and lucky to be in such a picturesque area
Kind regards. John
cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The accommodation here is in various blocks. The restaurant and bar are both in the main building. We found the staff very helpful and keen to please. Breakfast choice was limited with no bread rolls, croissants or continental options displayed. the cooked breakfast was served on the smallest plate I've ever seen. The table d' hote dinner menu was adequate but there were no dessert options for a diabetic unless you paid extra for something from the a la carte menu such as a cheese platter.
The hotel advertises wifi in all public rooms and bedrooms however if you are in a room at the end of the corridor you cannot get a signal unless you walk down the corridor which was infuriating.
The hotel is nice and quiet and suffers no traffic noise.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room at the end of the corridor if you want wifi.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thanks for your recent review, With regards to the comments on breakfast I have previously explained that the Bread rolls and Croissants are served fresh from the kitchens, this is due to the limited display space at the buffet counter. The Breakfast plates that we use are standard plates for Plates. We cater for many dietary needs and have various diabetic desserts which you could have had I am sorry if the waiter/ess did not explain this to you during your visit. However if we were made aware they would have offered them each evening. Regards John
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed in a double room on a half board tariff for our second time and we absolutely love the Charlecote Pheasant Hotel! We paid 350 pounds for four nights and we were pleasantly surprised to be given a 50 pound food and beverage voucher.

There a few little kinks here and there as one finds in most all hotels and inns, but the friendliness of the staff and restaurant waiters and waitresses gave us a very memorable stay. The quality of the food is of a high standard and the portions are ample for the price we paid.

Tonight my wife and I left dinner with a stuffed tummy and smiles on our faces as we drank our after dinner coffee and enjoyed a quiet calm atmosphere. We also love the stroll every night from the restaurant across the courtyard to our room as it allows us to see the moon and stars and hold hands. Only ten minutes from Stratford, and centrally located to most of the traditional Cotswold attractions, the Charlecote Pheasant Hotel is our favourite place to vacation.

There are plenty of other greatly overpriced inns and pubs in the area, but expect to pay double for what this hotel offers. We are planning to return for our third trip, Lord willing,
this summer when the great western rail steam train runs a circuit around the cotswolds.

Thanks to all the members of staff for a very professional experience!

Mark and debra

Room Tip: Seeing that this hotel is located in the countryside, you are guaranteed a quiet and peaceful sleep...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Many thanks for writing such a great review of your recent stay with us, The £25 per person voucher to spend on food or drink for these midweek breaks are proving very popoular and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I shall pass on all your lovely comments to the Team and look forward
to welcoming back in the Summer. Regards John
Cornwall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

After our horrendous experience with Norovirus at the Imperial Exmouth last year, my wife and I swore never to darken a Shearing doorstep again.
However, time is a healer and with some intrepidation I booked a Premier room for three nights to celebrate my wife's 80th birthday. First impression of room four was good; however, as with all the six Shearings hotels we have stayed at it is the niggling things and lack of detail that let them down.
Our Premier room had a four poster bed with side curtains. These curtains stopped any light from the bedside lamps reaching the occupants lying down making it impossible to read in bed. This must have been reported by previous guests as some enterprising person had crudely screwed two brass extending desk lights directly to the wall above the bed with steel woodscrews. Neither had a fitting or lamp on the end and the bare terminals were a potential death trap for an inquisitive child's fingers. The strip light above the tea making accoutrements situated in part of the wardrobe in the lobby - as far away from a tap as possible - was of very cheap quality with the press button on off switch difficult to locate in the dim light.
The very large window overlooking the road was directly in line with the four poster bed. Being much higher than normal beds we had a good view out of the window but unfortunately, with lights on in the room, so did people walking past and parking their cars to visit the church opposite. We could well imagine what it must be like for royalty having to acknowledge and return peoples waves.
The impressive French windows at the side of the room gave a good view of the lawns and pathways, but again gave passers by a view of most of the room. Some curious visitors felt the need to press their faces against the window for a better view. I can only think the large glass doors let them to believe it allowed public access! All this was reasonably acceptable until one had just showered and was wearing a towel or underwear. Although I am not a fan of net curtains, I do think in this instance they should be fitted to give some degree of privacy - if only to the lower part of the windows.
A very impressive fireplace had its opening bricked up and painted black. A coal effect electric fire or vase of flowers would have done it justice. The art deco ceiling light did not complement the four poster bed.
I reported the two lighting complaints to the receptionist next morning - Saturday-, she said she would report them to the manager but as is our experience with Shearings, nothing had happened when we left on Monday.
Talking of managers, I note that following the numerous comments on Trip Adviser there is often a reply by the hotel manager. Has anyone ever seen or spoken to a Shearing hotel manager? I haven't. To me they are as scarce as a Labour voter at an Eastleigh bye election! Not once have I come across a manager asking guests if everything was to their liking and are they enjoying their stay. I think they must be so busy writing replies to Trip Adviser comments they have no time to converse with hotel guests. I filled in my comments card before leaving but as is my past experience no communication from the company has been received.
Shearings do generally offer good value for money but when you are paying extra for a Premier room you are entitled to just that.
Over the years I have witnessed a decline in the food provided to half board guests. `A la carte menus didn't appear in our early stays and the Table d'hote now on offer is of such poor quality you feel obliged to chose from the 'A la carte menu if you want a reasonable meal.
First night fish and chips. If any fish and chip shop served such disgusting thin dried fish they would be out of business in a day. Second night chicken breast which was so small it was a tragedy to take the poor bird away from its mother. Having paid in advance for our meals and refusing to be induced to spend more money we persevered hoping for an improvement. However, on the last night I went for the fish pie which turned out to be a blob of fish flavoured potato with salad leaves, no vegetables and the whole lot would have fitted on a coffee cup saucer. On all three evenings the chef's "dish of the day" was either a cheese or ham salad. Some dish, some chef!
All the dining room staff were the efficient and friendly staff one has come to expect with Shearings. Dan our waiter very kindly decorated our table for my wife's 80th birthday dinner and was very professional in his attention to guests. It is just a pity the management does not compliment the staff.

Room Tip: Not room 4 unless you want to be on public view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
With regards to your comments and very detailed review it is obvious that our Hotels are not for you! However the only comment I wish to make is that the Stuart the Duty Manager that weekend did speak to you on several occasions and never once did you raise any concerns?

regards

John
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here as part of a large group and we had very good value for money. The breakfast is great. The table d'hote dinner is a bit restricted in choice, but the food itself is tasty and served hot. Although on a Dinner, B&B package, we could choose from the full menu at discounted prices. The staff were cheerful and helpful. The bus stop just outside meant we could travel to Stratford and Leamington Spa without hunting for parking.
We paid extra for a premier room, in a building about 200 yds from reception. This was roomy and comfortable. We had tea/coffee making facilities but no fridge. However, the peace was definitely broken when a family settled in upstairs! We could hear every step, creak and movement. They had at least one child, who ran around enthusiastically for quite a while,
disturbing our rest! We could also hear whenever they ran any water in the bathroom. This was a shame, as the room itself was lovely, but the soundproofing let it down badly.
Overall, if you want to treat yourself to a nice room, do book a premier room but make sure you're either upstairs or in the bungalow end of the building. Avoid rooms 101 and 102!

Room Tip: Avoid 101 and 102!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and feel that we offer good value for money.
I am glad that you enjoyed the food and I must agree that the discounts from our A'la Carte Menu for Half Board guests are impressive.
I shall pass on your kind comments regarding our cheerful and helpful staff.
We do have an excellent location for exploring and the bus stop is most convienient.
I am sorry to read that you could hear the family above you and feel that this disturbed your rest.
However I do hope that this would not deter you from visiting us again in the future.
Room 101 and 102 our two of our most requested rooms but please feel free to contact us for special room requests.
Kind regards

Been to The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel? Share your experiences!