“I expected better.” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Coventry, United Kingdom
“I expected better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

From the Piano Bar, where they played canned music loudly (they did turn it down when asked, but why not play piano music?), and did not know what a Kir was, to asking my husband if he was 'alright?', instead of 'can I help you?', (he didn't get served because he answered that he was fine, thank you). this was a disappointment. My husband's main course was discounted because of the poor quality of the meat, and they forgot to charge us for the bottle of wine we'd had - we did point this out to them. However, the Restaurant Manager and waiting staff provided good service and the remainder of the food was fine, including the complimentary amuse bouche and glass of champagne for our anniversary. Cost of 3 course meal for 2 approx £75 plus drinks.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London
“Outstanding service, beautiful hotel full of character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in Nailcote Hall on the 11th December for a Christmas party with work and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The welcome was great, the hotel looked gorgeous and festive and the staff could not do enough. I loved the personal touch. My room was huge, the bed was excellent as were the pillows. The shower was fantastic and everything was spotless. We enjoyed a 3-course meal which was delicious and perfectly cooked and breakfast was cooked to order and equally delicious! As a regular traveller I was delighted with the quality in general and thought it was great value for money. My colleagues also loved the hotel and were very complimentary. I would highly recommend staying here and I look forward to my next stay :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Warwickshire
“Cancelled Christmas party”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Had hoped to leave a review following our work Christmas party. We booked in September, paid in full 6 weeks beforehand and then received a call 7 days before the event to say it was cancelled. Great. No chance to book elsewhere at such short notice. We were offered places at another event but this wasn't suitable for us so we are taking a refund. Very disappointing.

Visited December 2012
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch - never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I thought our experience may have been a one off but having read the comments by DeeSolihull when her family had lunch in The Oak Restaurant in August would appear the same problems are ongoing. We wanted to go straight to our table but told we had to go to the bar and sat waiting - ignored by bar staff and eventually had to go to Reception to ask could someone take our order.
The food we were served was poor and in particular the main course which looked like a canteen style plate with over cooked roast potatoes and swimming in what appeared to be a casserole sauce rather than gravy to accompany the roast chicken - certainly no fine dining experience.
We did not bother with a dessert or coffee - just wanted to get out of the place to be honest. Made a complaint and the duty manager gave a small reduction.
It was only when we got home that I noticed we had been charged £12.80 for two small glasses of wine so I wrote a letter to the Manager asking if this was correct and also about our visit to the hotel. The letter was sent on 18th October and so far no response which sadly makes me think that they do not care.
Have no wish to visit again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Food poisoning !!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

An absolutely beautiful building set in fantastic surrounding grounds but this is where the "illusion of grandeur" ceases. Some of the worst overpriced food that I've ever eaten in my life & the service was lacklustre to put it mildly. I didn't stay within the accomadation so I can't comment on that but I attended a boirthday function there on October 20th. After being seated & the waitress taking our drinks order we waited over 15 minutes for them (there were only 12 drinks ordered). We had to go & get our own menus as only ONE had been put on the table! The "starters" arrived in reasonable time but half of our party couldn't stomach the rubbish that was served and the pigeon breast that I ordered was "hard as nails" & I struggled to even cut it. Although it tasted OK this meal meal resulted in me getting "food poisoning" about 4 hours later! The main meals served were on the whole quite tasty & only one person left theirs which was a bit of a waste at £26.50 per meal! The sirloin steak that I had was mediocre "at best" & certainly not worth the £29 that I was charged for it ... and the waitress didn't even offer us steak knives to eat it with. At the end of the evening the birthday cake (that we'd brought in ourselves) was brought to the table before the waitress disappeared leaving us to seek out our own plates, forks & napkins (which we'd also brought in ourselves). An altogether very poorly serviced & grossly overpriced meal & I will NEVER go near this place again. The total bill for 12 of us exceeded £350 + we probably spent a similar amount on drinks as the wine was £25 a bottle! To top it all when I got home & got to bed I was up an hour later with severe stomach pain & a very high temperature & promptly threw up in the bathroom sink ... up came the remains of the pigeon breast starter! I hasten to add that I'd only drunk 2 pints of beer all night so the sickness was in no way "drink related"!!!