“Excellent service all round” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: British, Contemporary, Australian, Eclectic
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Excellent service all round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The afternoon tea on Saturday was fabulous. I went with the girls from work (Tanfield Group Plc). Thirteen for afternoon tea, and there were other customers in there too. Food was great, the amount far excelled what we expected. The service was exceptional. The staff were very polite and helpful. The atmosphere was great. I'm going again to treat my mam and sister. They will love it. A bit of class in Washington at last. I can't wait to try Sunday lunch menu with husband and sons and the Xmas menu looks good too. I will highly recommend the Blacksmiths Table to anyone. And if anyone writes a bad review all I say is " anyone can have a bad day, try going back and check again before you write a review".

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Really great little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Bought a living social voucher for here and went last night for an evening meal. The young lady who served us was absolutely fantastic. Credit to her. We were very cold when we went in and she even turned the heater round for us to be able to warm up. The chef came out whilst we were sat in the bar and gave suggestions as what he could do for me that was vegetarian. He made me a fantastic risotto of wild mushroom, spinach and pea. It really was delicious. My better half ordered his food, and explained he couldn't have the onion rings due to his wheat intolerance. 2 minutes later the young lady came and asked him if he would like some sautéed. They went out of their way to be helpful. Can't fault them.
We will definitely be back at some point. Thank you.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Durham, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We visited mid week for afternoon tea using a living social voucher. The experience was a mixed bag and quite disappointing given their good reputation.

There were 3 of us in the party and usually at other 'teas we've each had our own portion of sandwiches, scone, cakes, but served on communal plates. This wasn't the case here and like other reviewers mentioned; it was far from dainty portions. Sandwiches were served first and these we quite large rolls filled with coronation chicken (tasteless), chicken and bacon (couldn't identify either), tuna and sweetcorn (again tasteless) and cheese savory. Everything was plastered in mayo (or salad cream with the cheese mix), and I was pleased I hadn't brought my mum as planned, as she hates mayo. There were two rolls of each filling, so not enough for each of us as we don't like all the fillings. Would have preferred if the'd asked us to choose 2 fillings each rather than waste food.

We were then brought a plate with scones and cakes; 2 large fruit scones with one type of jam, pot of hunny, clotted cream, and one large cheese scone, 2 slices of berry cake, two mini macaroons, two hazelnut profiteroles, one bite size eclair, one small raisin danish pastry, one small choc chip danish plait, one choc cupcake. Although these tasted nice, it was really disappointing that they weren't made on site and it felt like we were having Iceland leftovers from someone's party. We were also confused about whether the price included refills of tea and coffee.

The waitress was very nice though and checked we were ok without being overly attentive. Overall it was an ok tea and not the traditional afternoon tea we were hoping for. Would have been nicer if it was daintier portions and made on site. And please lose the rock music in the background - totally wrong target customer.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jez C, Owner at The Blacksmith's Table, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
I am sorry that you had a mixed experience with us in the afternoon tea.
I assure you that none of our produce is supplied by Iceland, while many of the produce is made on site we do try to use local home bakeries for most of the products, we are looking to revise our menu for the afternoon teas so your comments are much participated and I hope you return to us.
“Fantastic Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I have visited The Blacksmith's Table on a number of occasions over the past 8 months and have never been disappointed, today was no exception. As always we were given a warm welcome by the team and Jeremy, food and drinks order was taken efficiently and we were seated promptly. We both had starters which were well presented, then it was down to the main event.... I ordered roast beef which as always was perfectly cooked and served with homemade yorkshire pudding, beautiful rich gravy and fresh vegetables (non of your pre made frozen rubbish). My husband ordered the special 'Belly Pork' and it was outstanding! Perfectly cooked melt in the mouth pork which you could have eaten with a spoon it was so tender with the most amazing crackling. If it wasn't for the fact my husband had to catch a train at 5pm we would have no doubt ordered more drinks and soaked up the atmosphere. An absolute gem of a place and can't wait for my next visit

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you very much for your review, we look forward to seeing you both again very soon
“I am surprised at the reviews !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I have been to this little restaurant quite often for both evening meal and afternoon tea and to read the reviews above I find this very sad the comments people have made about the afternoon tea, yes some of the food is shop bought but that does not bother me and as for the comments about the sandwiches being too big - really ! Who states afternoon tea has to be dainty I would rather go somwhere where you are getting value for money than spend a fortune on a tiny sample of food, even though i do agree with the odd number of items sometimes but the price for the afternoon tea is fair, I would not let it put you off trying it. Now as for the evening meal the food every time I have been there has been of excellent quality and service has always been good as for the comment of good being too hot come on stop being so picky !, I have never had a problem and always came away feeling like a valued customer, again though I do agree if a complaint was written in then it should have been responded to! The surroundings are so unique in this restaurant and it is brilliant to see such a small buisness still going when there is many a cheaper chain available, however if the comments on here continue then I fear it may be detrimental to a quaint little restaurant ! I felt as though it needed to be said that this is a good place to have a good proper meal that is not processed or mass produced so yes everyone has the right to their own opinion but some of it is a bit picky all I can say is make your own opinion of this place ! Me - I love it !!!! :)