“Inspirational!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 attractions in Washington
Type: Parks, Nature/ Wildlife Areas
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Whatever the season, come rain or shine, WWT Washington Wetland Centre is the perfect place to connect with nature.Open 364 days a year, our award-winning, family-friendly site offers visitors of all ages a host of unforgettable wildlife encounters and beautiful scenery all year round.Explore an exciting mix of wetland, woodland, nature reserve and meadows; home to rare wildfowl, flocks of waders, Chilean flamingos, Asian short-clawed otters, Eurasian cranes and more.Enjoy daily animal feeds; regular walks, talks and activities and other special events.Excellent access (free electric scooter hire), café with views of spectacular wildlife, gift shop and play area. WWT members go Free.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Inspirational!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Having visited today with a class of Reception children- I was amazed at how much work and conservation goes into the Wetlands Centre! Nurturing Flamingo eggs until they hatch, and feeding them by hand shows true dedication! We took part in pond dipping, feeding ducks, amongst many other things, a beautiful sunny day enjoyed by all! I would definitely go back with my own family!

Visited July 2013
Leanne M, Public Relations Manager at WWT Washington Wetland Centre, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Hello,

What a lovely review – our beautiful hand-reared flamingos are a real testament to the hard work of their keeper Owen and I’ll be sure to pass your kind words on.

Education is also at the heart of what we do, so it’s brilliant to hear that your class experienced so much during their visit.

Hope to see you on a day off in the future! :-)

Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Fun day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

A group of 13 of us, 12 adults & 1 child visited on 6th July, a gloriously sunny day and had a fab time. We'd booked in advance as we were a group and had taken advantage of booking a buffet lunch, the price of which included our entry to the park. The food was really nice, fresh, tasty & we felt good value. We spent a couple of hours with a warden Liz, who was vey friendly & knowlegeable, pond dipping & walking, finishing off at the otter's enclousure in time to see them being fed. This is a really lovely place to visit, great for birdwatches, families & groups. Interesting to see and hear about the conservation work that the trust does, the different habitats,from salt lagoon to insect garden & also to see the many different species of ducks etc, even if you're not a twitcher!

Visited July 2013
Hi there,

So glad to hear about your visit, it sounds like you picked a good one weather-wise!

It also sounds like you really explored and got a lot from our site, which is fantastic, and I’ll let Liz and our catering team know what a great time you had.

Thanks for the review and hope to see you again in the future :-)
Teesside, England, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Lovely day with lovely weather!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We went to the WWT on Saturday 29th of June expecting it to be busy due to the nice weather... but we were delighted to find it was actually quiet and we had plently of space to linger and watch the wildlife.

Our group consisted of three adults and one baby, complete with pram. all the paths are either tarmac or hardcore so make walking around easy... even withthe pram. However the centre is on the side of a valley so although you go downhill to start with, you have to come back up to return... this might limit the attraction for the disabled, however the centre have plently of benches to use and the also hire out electric buggies for the hard of walking.

the cafe on sight is small on the inside but has a large out door area. the food from the kitchen is very nice and of average price. you also have a big picnic area if you choose to bring your own.

the birds themselves are well kept and most are human aware, so as long as you dont scare them, they will contine their daily business as you watch. the centre is split into many different pools and each one holds different species.

The Duckery is lovely, with lots of ducklings on view (time of year depentent) and most are used to human contact so will come close to the fence.

Food is available to buy for the birds at £1 a bag (3 bags £2.50) and the birds did come and feed.

Overall theis is a wonderful place. I have been coming here for over 20 years and will continue to come for many years to come.

Hello,

It sounds like you had a great day out and we’re so grateful that you took the time to tell others about it.

Some very cute Indian runner ducklings have just hatched up at the duckery so there’s still time to see fluffy babies before the season ends!

I’ll be feeding your comments back to our team, who love to hear about our visitor’s thoughts and experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you for many more years to come :-)
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“Great for bird watchers and photographers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

What a brilliant few hours here! The only complaint I have is that it wasn’t long enough. Having said that, I did manage to take over 400 photos during my visit – there was so much to see and enjoy!

I came here on a coach trip with a group of mostly elderly people, and unfortunately for me, by the time we’d had our guided tour (very interesting and informative) and our lunch (a lovely buffet served by friendly and helpful staff), they’d had enough and were ready to go home. I had hoped for a long walk exploring the further reaches of the centre, but there was no time.

Ah well, I’ll just have to come back again, won’t I?

You certainly will!

What a great review, thank you very much for taking the time to write it and I’ll be sure to pass your lovely comments on to our staff and vols.

Take care :-)
Durham, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Washington Wetland Centre I thought was fantastic. I went with my binoculars and camera and spent over three hours just watching the many birds and animals which are there. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The paths are easy to walk on and the whole site is well signposted. I paid £8.95 entrance fee and to me this is good value for money. I will certainly be back.

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and it’s great to hear that you got so much out of your visit.

In case it’s of interest, we run a membership scheme which starts at £29 a year for a concession and £38 for an adult, with monthly payments as an option to help spread the cost. We only close 25 December (but one of us still pops in to feed everything!) and our wildlife changes dramatically with the seasons, so you’d get to see a wide variety of different species and landscapes across the year – brilliant for photography!

We hope to see you again soon and thanks again for posting :-)