“Complete rip off!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Durham, United Kingdom
“Complete rip off!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Went to the Traders Inn today for a meal with 4 others. I had the table booked in advance, but when I got there I was asked to sit outside as they weren't expecting us. We started walking to the space the lady pointed to when we were told quite abruptly to get to our table. It was a table for 4 with 1 extra chair pulled up - leaving very little space for any of us.

We were given 2 menus between the 5 of us so no-one could look properly as what they had to offer (not that there was much anyways!) We were then told there is no steak, so that restricted what I could order with me being coeliac.

Everything else contained gluten except the chips. So I asked the waitress (the very rude one who shouted at us to get to our table) if it was possible to add egg and beans to the chips. Chips were £1.90, so when the waitress came out and told me the chef said he would do egg chips and beans (thank you very much, surely is a very hard meal to cook!!) but charge me the same price as the fish and chips. The fish and chips are £13.45 and I couldn't understand why it would be so much extra for an egg and a scoop of beans, considering the chips were only £1.90!! The waitress told me it would be done as a meal with the buns and everything else (which contains gluten) I then explained the reason I am asking for egg, chips and beans is because I can't eat gluten. Therefore, anything else that would have been given would have gone to waste!

When my partner asked for just chips and beans, he again, was told it would be £13.45.

When we spoke to the manager (short blonde lady, named Sam) my partner told her that £11.00 for a scoop of beans is expensive she told us very loudly "that is your opinion"

I left soon after, not eating anything. Very ill-mannered staff, extortionate prices. I wouldn't recommend for anyone to eat here. Toby Carvary is literally 2 minutes walk from there, and the staff, food and prices are much more appealing.

• Stayed July 2013
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Please accept our sincere apologies for the apparent shortfalls in our normally high standards of service.

This is certainly not the normal feedback we receive regarding our staff and rest assured we will follow this up rigorously with those concerned and address the points you shared.

I would very much welcome a direct conversation with you to discuss the issue and rectify things. If you are happy to do so please contact me directly at the hotel on 0191 418 9400.

Francis Hindle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed for one night on the 21st. Nice clean hotel but one of the older ones with the old decor and bathrooms, clean tho with nice gardens and outdoor area to sit. Bit tight on the sugars in the room tho. Nice food from the room service menu,bit expensive but that's to be expected....nice stay tho.

• Stayed July 2013
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Reviewer

I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at Holiday Inn Washington.

For future reference additional teas, coffees and sugars are always available by calling reception who will be very happy to assist in replenishing anything you need.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to stay again in the future.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Not to be confused with the more modern Holiday Inn Express. Disappointing considering the cost and standard of alternative offerings by other hotel companies. Unlike the Holiday Inn Express relative there is no complimentary wifi or breakfast. Parts of the building are long overdue an update and is in desperate need of improved sound proofing - every bath/shower in the building reverberates as it is used. All staff were very pleasant

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Reviewer

I was disappointed to read your recent review and am sorry that the hotel didn't live up to your expectations on this visit.

Whilst it was great to hear you found the staff to be pleasant and rated the cleanliness, location and service highly I was sorry to read it fell short on value, our rates are generally very competitive.

You are right that our sister brand Holiday Inn Express provides free breakfast as part of its brand offering however this is limited by comparison and we do always have breakfast inclusive rates available to book.

I would be more than happy to discuss your experience personally in more detail if you wish, and can be contacted at the hotel on 0191 418 9400.

Orpington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed here this week along with family members for a graduation ceremony. The rooms were in tip top condition bar for a lock malfunction on our room. The staff friendly and accommodating. Even though the hotel was very busy with a mix of business and tourists it never felt it wasn't coping.

We got the rooms at an attractive price but when you've paid £40 for a double room for two people you aren't going to pay £10-15 for a breakfast, £25 for a dinner and £5 for a glass of wine.

It meant that the hotel lost out, we ate out for each meal, had the prices been competitive with a Brewers Fayre or the Toby Carvery not 5 minutes walk away I feel the hotel guests would remain loyal and the staff are deserving of this.

Get your prices sensible and reap more reward for your efforts.

Room Tip: If lifts are a problem for you like they are for my wife, a sixth floor room is going to be a bind.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here on TripAdvisor.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the team friendly and accommodating.

It was of course disappointing to hear that we didn't manage to retain your dining custom - we do have a number of special meal deals etc. in place and I will speak to the Food and Beverage team to ensure these are more obvious in future to endeavour to keep our guests custom in-house.

We hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I think the location of this hotel is brilliant though unless the evening food improves I will be trying the nearest competitors.
The staff in the restaurant and room service are very pleasant . The food arrives promptly but the presentation and quality leaves a lot to be desired. I ordered onion rings , I got 4 as a portion for over £2.They were cold by the time they got to my room. That is ridiculous.
My club sandwich came as requested but the bacon was very badly burnt and the presentation of the dish was poor.
Dinner in the restaurant was better except for the 10 minute wait for my dessert when the restaurant only had 5 other diners in.
Reception staff were friendly as they always are. Breakfast service and range was fantastic as you expect from Holiday Inn. These features redeem the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for sharing your recent experience of the hotel here on TripAdvisor.

I was sorry to hear that your room service experience fell short of expectations - I have shared your feedback with our Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager so as to improve things moving forwards.

It was a pleasure to read however that you found the hotel team members pleasant and friendly and that you enjoy the Holiday Inn breakfast experience.

Do let me know if you are visiting again soon, I would be delighted to catch up with you personally to discuss any concerns further (francis.hindle@ihg.com).

Bedfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Chose this hotel as a nightstop on route to Edinburgh. As expected, a good clean room with comfortable beds and facilities. Nice bathroom, shower and tea/coffee making facility. Thought the restaurant was a bit pricey so went to the Toby Carvery down the road. Wished we had done the same for breakfast as we discovered our room rate was "room only" and breakfast was a stonking £14.95 each. The restaurant was also full of coach parties so we felt a bit pushed to one side. On departure we found our room had been wrongly billed for two meals in the restaurant but this was corrected without any fuss or argument.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay and found your room and the facilities to be to your satisfaction.

We do offer breakfast inclusive rates through all of our booking channels so its definitely worth looking for the inclusive offers. We do also have some great offers available in our restaurant if you wish to dine in house so for future reference please do ask at a reception for details if they are not immediately visible.

I'm sorry there was a mistake on your bill but pleased to hear that the reception team sorted this out swiftly for you.

I hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future.

hull
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We always stay at holiday inns but this has to be the worst we have ever stayed at, we was on a coach trip with national holidays and were treated like cattle, to start with we had to check in round the back, when we came down for dinner was told go back in there we will call you when you can come in, we all stayed were we where within seconds told to come in, so would have been pointless moving, then told you can't sit there how many are there of you I said 2 so was told to sit at a table for six then we were joined by 2 more couples ( strangers to us ) I asked what do we do ? Do we get our own food but was ignored then another woman at our table asked the same question also to be ignored so I said excuse me can you at least have the decency to answer us, then told remain seated we will bring your starters, a rude woman who's name I didn't get because I couldn't see it on her badge! (Short hair glasses) Just shouted in our faces SOUP! Not who would like soup !! When I asked for another butter for my bread roll I was told to go sit back down ill get you one, food was disgusting fish goujons, gammon in gravy, or veg risotto, very poor as the last trip we went on we were offered chicken beef or fish and it was better presented, won't go back to this one ever again treated like school children,tables seating 6 when really only enough room for 4!! Staff need retraining on customer service skills if at all they have ever been trained in the first place !!!!

• Stayed June 2013
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Reviewer

I was extremely disappointed to receive your review here on TripAdvisor following your recent stay as a member of a coach party.

I am very sorry the experience did not live up to your expectations. Regarding the arrival at the rear guest entrance, this is not unusual for many of our guests as the front car park does not have the capacity for all of our guests, but more importantly for coach tour guests it means we can welcome guests directly off the coach with 'no-step' access directly to the lifts, often with lots of luggage.

Dining arrangements for coach tour guests are typically at shared tables to allow us to accommodate the larger numbers. This in no way however should impact the courtesy I expect our guests to receive, and rudeness is completely unacceptable. Rest assured this is being addressed with the team members concerned.

I would welcome an opportunity to discuss your concerns personally as your experience does not reflect that shared by the vast majority of our other reviewers and is certainly not what I expect from my team. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel on 0191 418 9400 if you would like to discuss it further.

Francis Hindle

Been to Holiday Inn Washington? Share your experiences!