“Style and Comfort at a reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa

Save Saved
You added Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa to your Saves list
Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stone Cellar Road | High Usworth, Washington NE37 1PH, England   |
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Washington
DONCASTER - UK
“Style and Comfort at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

If you like to chill out, its a nice place.

Have stayed several times and never been disappointed.

Hotel offers Golf and Leisure, Bistro Bar and Restaurant. Limited choice of draught beers but if you're lucky theres 'lashings' of Newcastle Brown Ale chilling behind the bar.

It's a most unusual location amongst a housing estate, FORE!

Friendly staff offer a warm welcome and are on hand to answer any question and to offer support.
Slight downsides,
1. The Bar Staff (Male) and Restaurant Staff (again Male) need to lift it a bit, they let the side down in my opinion.
2. It's a Labyrinth of long corridors, stairs and doorways.

Upsides:
1. The Staff (Female) are extremely helpful and pleasant
2. The Bistro / Restaurant food is a great reason to stay indoors. The Best Rib Eye Steak ever and the Fish and Chips put some coastal towns to shame.
3. Breakfast - simply knockout.

Room Tip: Eat In. Request a top floor room, foot traffic noise transfers through the lower room ceilings and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Warwickshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My room was fine and the bed was particularly comfortable. Bar was good with Sky TV. The whole place needs a lick of paint - there are loads of chips and scrape marks in the walls which makes a bad impression. Breakfast was decidely average and not worth £10 extra. Had a knock at the golf range on the evening - awful. Poor quality, ripped mates with no tees to use - one of the worst ranges I have ever hit a ball on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

It was over 20 years since I lasted visited this hotel, it was good then and it is now !

We arrived on Friday 23rd November for a one night stay.

Check in was done by a friendly, polite and professional young lady and we were allocated room 7 on the first floor.

Room was spacious and very nicely decorated with a good bathroom and good room facilities.

We ate dinner in Lincoln's Restaurant and were not disappointed. We were shown to our table ( of our choice) by Anita who I think was the Head Waiter. She went through the menu and took our order. Again she was very polite, friendly and professional. We both ordered steaks, I ordered the ribeye my wife ordered the sirloin. Both were cooked exactly as we had ordered and the quality of the steak was excellent. No complaints whatsoever.

We finished off in the bar and again the bar lady was friendly, polite and professional.

I am getting boring but check the following morning was the same.

All in all an excellent hotel with excellent facilities but more importantly great staff who cared about customers.

Hotel in a good location to visit Metro Centre, Durham, Beamish etc or visits to coast, Seaburn or South Shields.

Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Try the steaks!!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotland, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was great but there was no heating at all in the room when we arrived at 4 pm on a very cold day. We were wanting to have a shower and get ready for a party but with no heating at all, that was out of the question. I couldn't even bear to take my coat off. When we asked about heating we were told it was on a timer and it would come on at 7 p.m. How annoying? They did give us an electric heater but I think it was very unwelcoming to arrive to a cold room. Very disappointing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear buntyScotland_UK

I’m extremely sorry to learn that the heating was not sufficient and equally disappointed by this.

Despite comments from reception the heating was adjusted back to 2pm for this weekend as weather forecasts were not promising.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I can now investigate why there was a problem and secondly rectify the problem going forward.

Please accept my sincere apologies and should you wish to discuss further please do not hesitate to contact me on 0191 402 998 or email on gm@georgewashington.co.uk

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on business. I was met by a very helpful and friendly receptionist and then directed to my room. The room was comfortable, clean and pleasant.
I ate in the restaurant that night and could reccomend the steak as it was cooked to order and tasted really nice. The restaurant lacked a bit of atmosphere but the staff were attentive and friendly.
Breakfast in the morning was disapointing. I am not a lover of food under the hot plate and it seemed dry and unatractive. There was a sign offering to cook the eggs to order but my opinion is for the money charged this hotel believes its better than it is and they should be cooking all the breakfast fresh.
On check out i was again met by a friendly recepionist, who after spotting a mistake on my room bill dealt with it in a very efficient and proffesional manner.
I have probably been harsh in giving this hotel an average score as it is a bit higher than that, it's just too expensive for what it is to rate it very good. I would return but it would need to be on a discount offer so that i feel i had value for money. It appears to me that due to the fact there is a golf course attached the prices are inflated.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear PABLO086

Many thanks for your review and appreciate your sincerity.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel’s staff in general and the steak you had in our Lincolns restaurant.

On the other hand I’m sorry that breakfast was not up to the standards you expect. If however you felt the food was dry I do wish you could have notified a breakfast team member who would have ensured a fresh offering from the kitchen.

With regards to value for money I’m sorry you felt this way. We do have free WIFI and complimentary leisure club included which goes some way to add value to the product. This is sometimes not the case with some of our competitors. I do wish you can try the hotel in the future and hopefully we can demonstrate where the value lies.

Gateshead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

My family was one of the many affected by the recent floods in the north east. During that time, we had to stay in three different hotels, and the george washington exceeded them all.
We experienced delicious breakfasts and evening meals, and a fabulous sunday lunch. I've since tried to recreate the lovely creamy scrambled eggs and the battered cauliflower from sunday lunch myself and I can't! The customer service was also faultless, from the reception staff to the duty managers who always asked how our stay was and made a fuss of our two boys. Room 612 was spacious, immaculately cleaned by the lovely portugese cleaning lady who my little boy loved, and who deserves recognition for her hard work. We stayed there for a month and really miss it! It was a nice experience during what was otherwise, a stressful time.
Pool lovely, nice toiletries, go!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear ladymuck82

Thank you for your extremely kind words about your month long stay at the hotel. I can’t imagine how difficult it would have been being away from your home for a prolonged period due to the floods and I’m glad that our staff were throughout the hotel were faultless in their approach.

Sunday lunch is very popular at the George Washington with quirky aspects such as the battered cauliflower. Our head chef will be delighted by your comments.

Once again thank you for your kind words and hope to see you again (though not on such unfortunate circumstances) in the not so distant future.

Neel Chawla

Been to Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!