“Good Hotel for a Weekday Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa

You added Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa to your Saves list
Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stone Cellar Road | High Usworth, Washington NE37 1PH, England   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Washington
uk
“Good Hotel for a Weekday Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed for a few days during the week only. I didn't want to stay at the hotel during the weekends due to the weddings and stag nights customers. Nothing to do with the hotel!

Excellent value too, cheaper than Premier and much much better.

We had a lovely large and quiet room plus a very comfortable bed. Good clean bathroom with an amazing powerful shower.

We did not eat breakfast at the hotel due to a horrible breakfast at a previous hotel which put us off for a few days. However, we had excellent bar snacks and a lovely evening meal. Apart from the overuse of mango sauce on every pudding plate we had, it would have been excellent. Good bar food at the golf course bar too.

Excellent location for us to go between Durham and Newcastle.

We stayed during some cool days this July but there was no air conditioning which would be a problem for me in warmer weather.

The other design flaw are the many stairs up and down and we were located in a far block. In fact, the design is a puzzle as the spa suffers from the same problem. Lovely little spa and gym but the changing rooms are upstairs from the pool which means that customers leave a wet trail up the stairs to the changing rooms.

It was by far the most comfortable hotel I have stayed in recently and I would go back during the week but not at peak summer time. I would pay extra for air con. Customer service was excellent. High standards and comfortable hotel and all at a very good price.

Room Tip: How far do you want to drag your heavy case? Ask for help or a room nearer the main block.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Driver5

Thank you for your kind review and we are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

I will of course share your kind words with the whole team as well as your complimentary words on the food. I note your comments on spa layout however I’m glad you are pleased with the high standards and reasonable prices.

Once again many thanks for your review and hope to see you again soon.

Neel Chawla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I attended a wedding breakfast at the hotel, the food was not to the standard I would expect the soup starter was very tasty and served nice and hot, however the main course was served with pale under cooked roast potatoes that had the distinct tang of a vac pack, indicating that they had been brought in ready peeled and not rinsed or seasoned and the dessert was a very standard mass produced bought in chocolate fudge cake.
The bar service was laughable as despite nearly 100 guests only had 1 bar person serving and a single card reader being used between 2 bars causing long queues for a drink.
As we're attending both the breakfast and the evening functions we booked a room in the hotel as part of a group, booking 4 room in total, we had asked for all 4 rooms to be together and on check in we where given 3 rooms separated by a flight of stairs and another room and 1 room on a completely different floor. The hotel design is schizophrenic with poor signage, for example the breakfast dining room is sign posted from the rooms but you reach the spa treatment rooms first and then you have to guess the direction for the restaurant, in fact the easiest way is to walk out of the hotel reception main entrance and walk in to the restaurant main entrance. The breakfast itself had a good selection, but was let down by the obviously deep fried sausages and coffee served in thermos flasks that had broken release buttons meaning that to pour you first had to press your finger onto broken plastic. As a member of the catering community and a former hotel head chef I don't like to comment on other hotels as I am aware of the pressures and constraints of a branded hotel operation however this was a truly disappointing stay

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ravon 20

Many thanks for your review and I’m sorry to learn that the experience was not a positive one.

With regards to the wedding meal, I can confirm that the potatoes were prepared in house and are actually slow cooked fondant potatoes. They are also cooked in a rich vegetable stock to add depth in flavor. Our chocolate fudge cake has proved to be a popular dessert and has stood the test of time on our menu selection.

I am slightly puzzled by the comments regarding one bar staff. All evening wedding bars are serviced with two barmen to ensure a smooth service.

I understand a request was made for your rooms to be next to each other. We will always endeavor to fulfill special requirements are met however we do advise that it is not always possible. Unfortunately 1 room was comparatively distant on this occasion.

The signage of the hotel is actually being investigated at this moment. I note that there a few issues with this.

Many thanks for the kind words on the breakfast selection however I’m sorry to learn the coffee flask was faulty; this is something that is being addressed.

Once again thank you for your review.

liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

i stayed here for a week whilst working in the north east. the hotel is a very nice and clean hotel set in the surrounds of a golf course.
The rooms are very spacious and very clean you also get free wifi wich helped me out with work whilst working late in the room.
the restraunt and staff are very helpfull they try to accomodate each person as and when possible.
altoghether a very plesant stay would use again whils on buisness r evean as a weekend break.
95% of rooms look out over the golf course so no chance of being disturbed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear 355paul

Thank you for your review and I’m extremely glad that your week’s stay was a good one. Your comments regarding the rooms, WIFI and restaurant service are much appreciated and will be filtered back to the team.

I hope we shall see you again soon on your next visit to the north east.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed in the Mercule Newcastle for one night for a concert at the Stadium of Light Sunderland. The hotel is clean and the room was perfectly adequate with all normal facilities. There is a Spa with Gym & pool which are small but fine. We did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment on this however we were offered breakfast at a "discounted" price of £10 each which we declined.

We needed to travel into Sunderland (aprox 6 miles) it is £15 each way for a taxi. (The Metro was on strike) One of receptionists, Lianne, was extremely helpful and knowledgable and told us about the bus service which would take us directly to the Stadium from a bus stop a few minutes walk away. This worked out perfectly as the buses run regularly and the return fare was £10 for two of us.

We travelled to the Galleries shopping centre Washington to eat which is a couple of miles away. It has fast food places as well as supermarkets. We had a superb breakfast at the Sainsburys there for £3.69 each!!
I would stay at the Mercure again however it is in a fairly remote location and personally I would try and find a hotel nearer the city centre if I was returning.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Bradkgb

Many thanks for your review and I’m glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay including the general facilities of the hotel and the helpfulness of Leanne.

With regards to the location I do not think the issue of extra traffic and the metro strike helped on this occasion.

Generally the location in relation to access routes to Newcastle, Sunderland & Durham is very good. The hotel is ideally situated the A195 roundabout towards Newcastle city centre, the A194 (continuing on to the A1 south) to Durham, a few minutes from the A1 north and in close proximity to the A1231 towards Sunderland.

The hotel is circa 15 minutes from Newcastle, Sunderland and Durham.

Many thanks

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

I am writing this review about my stay at the end of May 2011! Abit late I know! Me and 3 friend stayed here as we went to see take that at the stadium of light! On arrival hotel lovely and clean and staff seemed lovely! When we got up the next morning to check out we were informed that my friends car had been broken into along with 6 others resulting in a smashed window and stolen sat nav! Obviously we were not happy at this but this could have happened anywhere! What we were absolutely appalled with was the treatment of us by the hotel manager, I have never in my life met anyone so unhelpful and so unsympathetic! We were the last ones to check out so the last to know about our car hence the long wait for the window mending! As we had not booked for breakfast and they had since stopped serving it we asked for some toast or something at which the manager refused! I mean it was just some toast! The lovely lady behind the desk brought us some and seemed to get in trouble for this!!!! The manager left the lady behind the desk to deal with complaints and was no where to be seen, this guy should really not be working in customer service!!! When we eventually left the hotel (starving by the way) I called a complaints number I had been given to complain about the manager and surprise surprise it was his number!!! There is no other way to complain!!! As I say lovely hotel unfortunate about the break ins but the way the manager dealt with this was atrocious and for that reason I would NEVER go back

• Stayed July 2011
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear Katiexxaxx

I’m somewhat surprised to see this response some 13 months later and after this had been dealt with directly with the guests in question.

I recall a very much different version of events including breakfast items requested.

Nevertheless I apologise that the hotel and management came across in a negative light. I can say the hotel generally prides itself on its friendly and approachable staff and of course do not mean to come across as the opposite.

The car park incidence is an extremely infrequent occurrence and as stated by yourself something that could happen anywhere.

On the other hand I’m glad your general hotel stay was very good.

Neel Chawla

Been to Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!