“LOVELY HOTEL IN A GREAT LOCATION” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Little Haven Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Little Haven Hotel to your Saves list
Little Haven Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   River Drive, Littlehaven, South Shields NE33 1LH, England   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in South Shields
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Berkshire
“LOVELY HOTEL IN A GREAT LOCATION”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

i stayed for a short weekend break to attend an old friends wedding and to catch up with friends and family. hotel is in a great location with fantastic views of the pier and river. hotel staff very friendly, rooms lovely and clean, lots to do and see in the town and along the sea front, those liking night life will not be disappointed with south shields town centre and ocean roads restaurants.will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
North East
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I stayed here with my partner for a short break. We picked this hotel because of the fantastic views. The hotel is lovely, the views are amazing and the reception staff are the best i've come across. Linzi, on reception was warm, welcoming and extremely helpful (when she wasn't run off her feet) she really put a smile on our faces. Then we came across a little arrogant over weight man who was the hotel manager. In my opinion he really needs to be sent back to charm school because the way he spoke to staff was dreadful. Overall as a stay the hotel is clean, friendly and the food is ok too. The staff are friendly and helpful (apart from the hotel manager). I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
graham2009, Public relations manager at Little Haven Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2010
This seems to be a personal attack on a Manager and from some one we would think has more than a customer interest.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

The Little Haven Hotel has an excellent location with very good panoramic views. However, the geography "plus points" are counterbalanced by several factors which downgraded the overall weekend stay.
The breakfast experience in the restaurant on both Saturday & Sunday mornings were best described as hectic, bordering on mayhem. 3 wedding receptions were held on the Saturday, resulting in a packed restaurant on Sunday morning ensuring long queues, low quality food & over-stretched staff. If you are 30 seconds late for breakfast (after 10 o'clock), it's recommended to eat out as everything is switched off and taken away @ precisely 10.00 GMT.
When we returned to the hotel on Sunday night after dining out, both Hotel bars were closed before 11.00 pm. We therefore retired gracefully & had a cup of coffee in the bedroom.
The reputation of bedroom temperatures was brought home with the chillness of the rooms in June being a result of the electric heating switching off automatically once the room card was extracted from its docking bay.
However, I should point out that accommodation which faces the mouth of the River Tyne almost outweighs these negative features as the views are splendid indeed. Unless you have an estuary facing bedroom, I would advise you to book elsewhere in South / North Shields.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Leominster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

A group of us met here for a reunion - 32 years after we studied at the Marine College. Hotel was fine despite some of the other reviews. Staff were friendly and staying up into the early hours to reminisce was no problem. The only problem was that when I walked into my room after checking in at six in the evening the room had not been made up from the previous guest. I returned to reception and it was sorted out immediately. The view from the room was fantastic and it felt really good to be so close to the sea. Like other reviewers I had to telephone to make the booking as it is not possible to book online.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

For a hotel of this size nowadays, it is quite surprising you cannot book the hotel directly through the hotel’s website. Instead you must fill in an enquiry form and the reception desk will reply and book it for you, or at least that is what should happen. I submitted the booking form for a Standard Non-Smoking Twin on the 18th April for 1 night which should cost £64.75. Within two days there was no response so I submitted the same form again. The hotel responded the next day with two responses sent within 2 minutes of each other. Maybe I thought I could be to blame for the two emails as I requested twice, but once they were opened neither of them were relevant to my request. The first stated a Double Room for the 18th costing £79.50, and the second was even worse stating a Double Room for 2 nights starting the 21st April!

I responded to the slightly more relevant one pointing out all the mistakes. Later a more personal reply came through rather than a template which was nice to see but in that simply mentioned that “a room was available” and she told me what the weekend rate was – which I already knew but at least that was right now. Taking no chances for obvious reasons I wanted to clarify what was meant by ‘a room’, the Double they thought I wanted or the Twin I actually wanted, before booking it. Days followed and no response so we resorted to simply visiting the hotel and booking in person. The staff were a lot more helpful than we envisaged considering the emails, though the first receptionist interrupted what was being said to her to answer the phone. A second more welcoming and chatty receptionist emerged and took over since the first one was still on the phone. The right room was available and it was booked in no time, and the first receptionist at least apologised for being on the phone for so long when she finally finished.

Since it was booked I sent the hotel a new email with a clear subject line stating that the room was now booked and I no longer needed them to book me one. Their response to this came days later and this was another template booking response – this time with the right details. I could hardly believe it as my email saying I didn’t need a room was below. I again told them that the room was already booked and I no longer needed the one I originally enquired about. Two days later I received another email stating that I had enquired about a room a while ago and they were wondering if the room was still required!! While I was writing a simple one line response, unbelievably they sent me the same email AGAIN!! I can’t understand how any hotel can get something so wrong. Hardly the kind of pre-conception you want of a hotel but I could hardly bare thinking about how much trouble cancelling a booking would be!

On check in there was more problems. The same receptionist who had made the booking was checking us in, and once she took our name she was clicking away for a while and then asked the type of room we had booked, followed by asking if we had booked more than one room and then more clicking and she finally sorted it out, revealing the problem to be that there was another guest with our surname staying there. Maybe this had caused the earlier booking problems too? Who knows?

Now that's just about the booking, I'll keep the rest short and to the point with a few points:

* Expensive. Rooms are good but not worth the weekday rate of £80, £64 at the weekend is more acceptable
* Barmaid admitted she didn't know where anything was and spent a while searching through the glasses to find us one that was clean, but unlike a lot of the other staff there she was at least smiling
* The Sea Views on offer are very good
* TV was a new HD unit and had all the Freeview channels
* Room was cleaned well but window was filthy
* Room was freezing on entering and the heater thermostat turned it off repeatedly not allowing the room to warm up
* Bathroom was even colder and the Heater/Towel Rail didn't work
* Trouser Press wasn't Corby!
* Wall mounted ironing board couldn't be unfolded unless you squashed the beds together
* Good beds, covers could maybe do with a bit modernising
* Very quiet in rooms and restaurant even though there was a wedding going on
* Reception was unattended and closed from 11pm and for assistance guests had to call the duty manager on his mobile using the phone on the desk!

Overall though the place was nice and comfortable and offered a good location, and the positives outweigh the negatives.

Some photos of the hotel are posted separately.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Leeds, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

We booked a function room for our daughters christening and ordered a buffet for 52 people. In fact only 50 people attended and we were appalled at the food that was presented. There was only one small pizza slice per person and only half a mince pie each, myself, husband and parents did not eat anything so that our guests could. The buffet only covered half of the table, I don't know why they didn't use a smaller table. All the food was eaten except for a very poor rice salad. Alot of guests presumed that there was going to be more food brought out later in the afternoon as there was certainly not enough.

The member of staff who was looking after us was extremely helpful but she was rushed off her feet as she was working in another part of the hotel. The bar next to the function room was closed and we were informed nobody had been employed to cover it that day despite our specific request.

Alot of family and friends travelled from Leeds and a couple of guests had stayed over night. One of our friends is disabled and had called the hotel to book a room with a walk in shower and was reassured that there was a room available. When she arrived the day before there was no such room and ended up travelling back to Leeds and missing the christening as she could not access the bathroom properly.

Overall we were very disappointed with this hotel, it was meant to be such a special day but I spent the afternoon worrying that our guests were hungry. The unfortunate thing for the hotel is that they have now lost 4 bookings as our friends have decided not to book the hotel for their weddings / christenings and I would never recommend the place to anyone.

Stayed March 2009
south cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

extremeley positive ,this family ran hotel is perfect for entertainment ,food,clean and fresh coloured rooms ,friendly staff,superb location and fantastic views!
first visit ,and well recomended !!!!

• Liked — everything!!
  • Disliked — going home !!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Little Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!