“Friendly hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
“Friendly hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Staff very friendly helpful rooms very clean and comfortable
Good value at £29 per night
Would not use Taybar for breakfast McDs openly two minutes away and better value
Apart from breakfast good stay

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Great hotel. Expensive breakfast (went to MacDonalds). The grounds weee great and the staff very helpful. Very close to where we were going so taxis weren't too expensive. Staff were great and supplied more milk and tea when we got back...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

First time at Premier after staying at most of the other chains , we would it way superior to the others .
Reception was very friendly , the woman told us her name , when she finished & the names of the people through the night & who was on early .
The room was a good size , big bathroom & a huge comfortable bed . The room & hotel were very clean & well maintained .when ever we passed reception we were acknowledged .
We paid for a full breakfast which is served buffet style as much as you like in the adjoining Taybarns restaurant . £ 8.25 may seem high for breakfast but the quality of the sausage & bacon is very good & the choice of fruit ,cereal , Croissants , juice etc was very good . As well as as much as you wanted there was also unlimited tea & Costa Coffee .
I would definitely recommend this particular hotel & will stay with Premier again

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel which was clean and tidy. The receptionist was very friendly on arrival. I would happily return. Parking was available at both the front and back of the hotel. There is a lift and the location is quiet.

• Stayed November 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Don't go any where else this hotel is the best,great staff and the buffet is wonderfull 10/10 well worth the money, everything was modern and clean,Room was more than what we would have expected for the price. Just book it

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

A great welcome from Fiona on reception.

The room, was a bit of a disappointment. Whilst it had the usual comfy bed, TV and bathroom, all of which were clean, the room itself was in need of some work…

- The main door was loose, which meant that whenever a corridor door was opened, my door banged against its lock – it woke me a number of times early in the morning
- The bathroom door would not stay closed, which meant the nosy fan could be heard in my room. I stepped out of the shower into the open door – not great
- The toilet roll holder was missing – broken off – the toilet roll was left on top of the cabinet
- The thermostat and heater unit were noisy – clicking and humming every few minutes – I found myself lying there listening to it, waiting for it to click again
- The wifi would not allow me to connect, even though Fiona rang through to the support team and confirmed there was a fault, it didn’t seem to clear

I do not know the history of this hotel, although it felt like one they have recently acquired and had simply branded up as PI. For example, the bedside light unit panels were attached to the wall partially over some wall sockets, so I could not plug in my phone charger. There were some works to replace windows in rooms down the corridor from me, so they seem to be working to improve it.

The Taybarns next door is an all-you-can-eat restaurant, which is low on price, high on quantity. Whilst it offered good value, I felt I was eating in a school canteen, with the cafeteria style tables and piles of plates and cutlery. The food was hit and miss, with some dishes better than others. Don’t get me wrong, I like good value restaurants, it just doesn’t seem to fit with the PI brand – I would see this much more suited to a Travelodge.

As per my numerous other positive reviews about PI, unfortunately this one just didn’t make the mark – the mark set set by the PI brand in most of the other PIs I have stayed.

Whilst I raised these points at reception, I did not claim my money back as I still slept well enough on the comfy bed and I’m not into claiming for the sake of it.

Sorry Premier Inn, this hotel is damaging your brand.

My advice to those wanting to stay in the Port of Tyne would be to drive to the next nearest PI down the road.

Room Tip: Avoid room 63!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed at South Shields for 2 days/nights from 10/11/13. This was our 2nd visit. Room very clean and comfortable. Staff very helpful. On arrival we asked reception for iron and ironing board. By the time that we had taken our coats off the iron and board had been brought to our room. What service! We had breakfast and evening meal at Taybarns each day adjacent to the Premier. You do not have to leave the building to reach the restaurant which is great in wet weather. All staff were polite and friendly at all times. A special mention for Janis on reception. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Premier Inn South Shields? Share your experiences!