“Ripped off with drinks 😳” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Ripped off with drinks 😳”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

I live in South Shields so often go to ocean road for a curry and would normally recommend tandoori international but on this occasion I was very disappointed . Service was good , food was good but nothing brilliant , the problem was when the bill arrived we noticed that the drinks were rather high and queried prices , an orange squash and tap water was £1.30 twice the price of most places but on each section of the bill where drinks were added we were overcharged every time . We asked the waiter and he said yes we had been charged 80p extra , it wasn't it was more like 4-5 pound. Trying to explain this to him wasn't working so we left it but didn't leave a tip as basically they had got part of a tip by overcharging . I won't be recommending this Indian on ocean road any more . Very disappointed .

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

South Shields, United Kingdom
“Disgusted by this horrendous service. Never again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Never have I experienced such a disgraceful restaurant experience in all my life as I did last night here. This was the first time we had tried Tandoori International – on the recommendation of colleagues – and it is certainly the last.

To begin with, our waiter seemed disinterested at best. However, the order was taken, and popadoms, dips and two beers were brought to the table. Not long after that, the starters were brought out, while we were still eating our popadoms and were obviously far from finished. The waiter simply stacked up the popadom plates and left them on the side of the table, before dumping our starters in front of us and walking away. So far, just terrible service. However, what happened next left us incensed.

I tried to catch the eye one of the waiters, who all seemed to be flocking around the bar area chatting amongst themselves. I eventually caught the eye of a young waiter behind the bar, who proceeded to prod one of his older colleagues and point at us, giggling all the while like some naughty schoolboy at the back of the class.

The older waiter came over to us. I asked him to clear the plates, basket, dips, etc, as there was very little room left on the table to eat our starters. This seemed a perfectly reasonable request (and surely one that I shouldn't have needed to make in the first place.) However, I was told by this waiter, muttering under his breath, that I should “mind my manners”.

We immediately brought this up with the manager, and explained that we were not prepared to be treated so rudely. We offered to pay for what we had already consumed, but would not be continuing with the rest of the meal. At this, we were actually questioned by the manager, asked what we had said because the waiter claimed we had spoken rudely to him. It suddenly felt like we were being interrogated in the headmaster's office.

It was at this point, having been frankly far more tolerant than the situation deserved, that we left the restaurant in disgust, without paying anything.

I'm only giving this a rating of 1 out of 5 because tripadvisor forces me to, otherwise it would be a big fat zero.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West End, United Kingdom
“Spoilt by a Hair”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Nice restaurant with attentive staff, Good menu selection.
the food was well presented and fairly good value. my only problem was a black hair in my tandoori roti - which the waiter tried to tell me was garlic!!

Visited April 2014
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Brilliant meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

As usual the standard is always high. Absolutely fabulous night, we went here as a group of 18, shame we couldn't all be together but thats the size of the group.
Excellent service, food completely delicious - well presented and not just plonked on a plate. All in all 18 very happy diners, highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wouldn't rush back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

The restaurant is beautiful, the service is excellent and there is a nice vibe, especially if you're in a group. However, the prices are high given the overwhelming competition. Most importantly the food struggles to be average. Our chicken was tough, our curry was overly spicy and the group we were with didn't enjoy their food. With Radhuni and The Raj just minutes away I won't be returning here. Shame.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere