“Fantastic Indiand Food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Indiand Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We decided on a spur of the minute night out and Tandoori International was the only place on Ocean Rood to go !
Fabulous food as always, even though the restaurant was fully booked - we went in at 5.45 they found us a little table for 2.
Food presentation was as always eye catching and the standard 5 star.
My only disappointment was that they brought the wrong meal for my husband - however he still enjoyed his meal - it seemed to be accepted that he was happy to keep the meal they brought and didn't need to replace it. The reason I have given 5 stars is due to every other visit I have found to be faultless.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Durham
“Top Nosh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I recently visited the Tandoori International with my brother-in-law and my son-in-law ( the women in my life were all subjected to the rigours of Slimming World and syn overload).

This is the first time I have been back to this restaurant since it has been modernised ( previously felt like sitting in someone's front room) and I have to say I was very impressed. The staff wre polite and attentive and showed us straight to our table ( which we didn't book) drinks delivered right away with poppadums and dips. The food we ordered was plentiful and wonderful. Hot dishes were just that !

A nice touch was all the crockery was labelled with the restaurants name. Little things made the experience better. If you fancy a great curry in nice modern surroundings give it a try. Would I go back ...... try and stop me :-)

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“food very nice,but where did they get the tables from? the borrowers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

lets start off with the positive,location is good being on the main road of south shields,plenty of choice along ocean road but after 12 years of going to our local Indians we fancied a bit of a change,restaurant is a just a nice size inside modern décor and the menu has a good choice for everyone to choose from,we chose the £9.95 3 course special,good value as loads of others offering special deals.food was really good,hot and tasty,no complaints whatsoever,beer prices are pretty good too,£3.30 for a pint of cobra,£2.95 for a bottle of magners,note though a half of cobra is £1.85,why I have no idea,now here is the big negative.the blooming tables.why so small,in my opinion if your going for a 3 course meal your going to need room on a table,by the time we moved the vase of flowers,the salt n pepper,the menus,moved the side plates,moved the knives and forks around we still had no room,even when the waiter came with our food he didn't know where to put it,hot plate in the middle,plates down,no where to put our rice dishes,our nan bread,and our chips,our table looked like my kitchen sink at home piled up with dishes,owners take note,just because there was only the two of us doesn't mean you can give us a table from the borrowers.it is a good restaurant,but until they change the tables I wont return

• 4 of 5 stars Food
South Shields, Tyne & Wear, England
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We live in South Shields and as we had never been to Tandoori International we decided to go on the recommendation of a Friend
Big Mistake
The resaurant is open plan, with bright lights and a TV playing Bollywood Music. Due to the open plan it was very, very noisy.
We arrived to be shown to our table by a waiter who flung the menus on the table and walked away. We found the majority of the staff smug and did not warm to them at all.
We ordered popadoms and pickles as we looked at the menu, they were nice so we were looking foward to the rest of our meal. Everything went downhill from here .....
The waiter arrived to serve our main course after waiting 40 minutes for our starter. It was clear they had been forgotten as they were hastily served 10 minutes later. As the main had been ready for a while, it was begining to go cold, and had no taste what so ever, so bland and not very nice. The chicken was served in huge lumps and was basically the worst curry we had ever had.
Between courses the waiter approached us whilst pushing a chair. He placed it against our table saying he was putting it there as it always stays there! So unprofessional. The table was hard pushed to accomodate two let alone three.
The good points, the pickles and starters were good and as it was so bright we could read the menu at ease. We laughed our way through the night, but sadly for all the wrong reasons, never again, we will stick to what we know in future.

Visited December 2013
South Shields, United Kingdom
“one of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I eat here regularly and every time the food has been excellent. It is very tasty. The only thing I'm not so keen on is the decor, as I don't think its as nice as some of the other restaurants. I much prefer the privacy of the booths you find in other places rather than the open plan style, but the food of other restaurants does not compare to this one.

• Visited November 2013