“Don't- It's a Dosshouse!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cross Arms Hotel

You added Cross Arms Hotel to your Saves list
Cross Arms Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Barrington Street, South Shields NE33 1AN, England (Formerly Douglas Vaults Hotel)   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in South Shields
aberdeen
“Don't- It's a Dosshouse!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

This is not a hotel - it's a dodgy dosshouse. We booked through Laterooms. When we arrived, after a long and trying trip from London, we had to wait twenty minutes whilst the barmaid served drinks to a succession of regulars, before we could collect our key. We were told we would have to pay cash up front before we were shown the room. This did ring alarm bells, but, as I've said, we'd had a long journey, and were desperate for some tea and a shower.
However, neither of these things were possible immediately, as the room had no cups and no towels! There was not even a hand towel in the toilet! I was eventually able to access towels and cups through the barmaid, who appeared to be the only person working there.
The room was awful: with mould patches, peeling wallpaper, a manky window frame in the en-suite bathroom and stained duvet cover. Even at £35, this was not a bargain. We did not feel safe, and would definitely never return there. I have posted some interesting pictures of our room on the Laterooms website.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Birmingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

Although we were on a cheap and cheerful trip to Newcastle, we were quite surprised that this pub is an old fashioned 'digs' ,above a pub, in the centre of the newly refurbished but still socially deprived area of South Shields.

Nevertheless ,we fully enjoyed this experience- I've certainly never stayed in a pub before and even though there was a tacky karaoke bassline booming underneath us while we were in bed we fell asleep and didn't seem to notice. The staff were friendly enough, if a little surprised that a couple on a holiday type experience were staying here rather than a single male worker.

The only gripes were: (i) the plumbing system, which fired up every time other residents switched on their taps in their washbasins- you can imagine the noise at 6:30ish when other workers are getting up, (ii) There were no staff to be seen in the morning, so even if we had wanted the breakfast that was promised we couldn't! (hope we didn't pay for it!!) and finally (iii) (and only a small gripe) the communal shower and toilet, although clean, is something that I'm never particularly keen to share.

All in all, a good budget stay and only a short metro ride in to Newcastle or Sunderland or Whitley Bay!

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
FIFE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

great location near shops metro etc rooms quiet small service ok stewart [manager] and staff very helpfull

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
milan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

I'm English but am married to an Italian and live in Italy but like to go shopping in England two or three times a year. South Shields is great for the high street shops and is only a few Metro stops from Newcastle itself. I also love flea markets so when I saw that the Douglas Vaults Hotel was right on the market place I thought that I had died and gone to heaven, so was happy to book there for us and another two couples.
I had read it up on internet so my first impression was what I had expected, an old type pub which was being slowly done up. The owner manager was very friendly, a young man with ambitious long term plans for his pub.
The bedrooms were tastefully decorated, just like I had seen on internet and it was obvious money had been spent BUT ....
- cleaning could have been better as we found screws and bits and bobs on the floor
- the lights were missing their bulbs so obviously didn't work.
- rooms were a bit cold, not enough to complain about but cold anyway.
We decided to pass over all of this so we could enjoy our short, two night stay BUT ......... we were very surprised not to find our bed made the next day. I told the owner and found, to my surprise, that HE was surprised that we had expected it. I don't know if things have changed in England but I have never been anywhere where the beds were not made every day during our stay. He said that cleaning was every three days and that did not include bedmaking except when the sheets were changed.
Noise - the site tells you to expect noise as the pub has live music every night. For our friends and I this was a plus BUT .......... we never expected the noise to be someone banging on doors at 4 o'clock in the morning. The banging went on for over half an hour. There was also noise downstairs at the same time so it was impossible the owner didn't know about it all.
I admire the owner and wish him well in the future but I hope he manages to get his act together. We didn't stay there when we returned to South Shields four months later as it wasn't really a place to go back to and other better places were even cheaper!

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — No bedmaking, noise had been expected but not this bad, rooms not checked for faults.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Cross Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!