“good variety of food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Virginia Water
Windsor, United Kingdom
“good variety of food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

have eaten here a lot and 90% of the time very good, good choice of food we find the staff really nice and friendly, sometimes very busy so can bea bit hectic, but on the whole excllent tasty food for the money.

Room Tip: did not sleep here restuarant only
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Firstly,the initial impression was a rather shabby dining room,I had booked ahead for a celebration meal,yet the table was not laid ,there was a grubby candle holder on the table no place mats rather down market.The food however was of a reasonable quality, the beef rib was tender and rather good, the horseradish mash was o.k. and all had arrived hot.Service was slow but sure.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Farnham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stopped here for a meal - not impressed. Apart from the young man who took our order for food the rest of the staff were very unfriendly. We were given our meals without any comment from a lady with hair tied up hair and glasses. She did not check to see if we had cutlery or required sauces and the table was very sticky as not wiped down. Such a shame as the location and premises are lovely.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Water hotels

Essex, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We booked to stay here as it was close to where we needed to be the weekend. On arrival at around 4pm on Saturday afternoon, we were tired and wanted to have a hot bath and something to eat. Our room had not been made but the Manageress was very apologetic and gave us a free drink and nibbles whilst we waited. We finally got into our room and enjoyed a lovely hot bath. I was very taken with the hugely massive bed. Wow - talk about big - this was the biggest I had ever seen and we've stayed in many, many hotels in different countries. This bed appeared to be 2 double bed connected together and were extremely comfortable. I would go back just for the bed. There are not little bottles of shampoo and soap as they had the new Dove bottles connected to the wall by the hand basin and bath area and it was suitable for a shampoo, bubble bath and washing. What a great invention for hotels.

Being exhausted, we decided to have room service and this was delivered by both the Manageress and the kitchen staff and the food was brilliant. We shared the seafood platter for 2 to share which was fantastic and tasty. For desert I had the figs and hubby had ice-cream. Lovely.

Breakfast the next morning was excellent again. I had the continental and went back a few times to sample the treats whilst hubby had the full english. We both left the dining room feeling stuffed and content. The dining staff lady was smiling and very helpful and the entire hotel and waiting staff were great.

Should we need to go back to that area again, we will definitly stay there again - but will try the room next door to ours which had the same size bed but no sleeper couch. I just dont like the sleeper couch thing in my sleeping space - no matter how good the quality. We both recommend this hotel to anyone contemplating staying over. You wont be sorry.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 10. Slight road noise traffic outside but not enough to disturb sleep.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Myself and my friend decided to visit my daughter who lives close to this Hotel. We were very pleased with the standard of the Hotel and the service, all the staff were friendly and helpful. The Hotel is convenient and extremely well priced for this area. Breakfast was wonderful and of a high quality. Rooms were clean and pleasantly decorated. Bathroom was clean but a little tired, but certainly no complaints at all. I would certainly go back and stay again and intend doing that. Great value!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Having stopped here in June 2011 and enjoyed a lovely walk in the park and a sandwich in the Wheatsheaf garden we recommended this pub for a Sunday Lunch with family. I phoned to book and explained we were coming from Southampton, but was told they do not take bookings for lunch, it was first come first served. We again had a lovely walk in the park and then went to the pub where there were some tabled with "Reserved" signs, thinking perhaps these were for hotel guests I jumped at a recently vacated table. I was asked to move by staff who said this was also reserved and if I gave my name she would put me on a waiting list. I recounted my phone call earlier and was eventually given a table! We queued to order food and drinks at the bar and waited. Whilst waiting a waitress dropped a bowl of soup over some diners behind us, splashing them and us, ruining one of our parties cream coat! The diners whose soup it was seemed to get a courtesy round of drinks by way as apology, we got nothing! An hour later 3 of our meals arrived, along with a meal we never ordered, 5 mins later the correct meal arrived, although 3 roasts were missing the all important Yorkshire puddings, when we asked for them they arrived 5 mins later. Our plates were cleared away 15mins after we had finished! Then back to queue at the bar to order teas and coffees. 20 mins later coffee and 3 tea pots arrived. 10 mins later milk and tea cups arrived. We were very embarrassed having recommended this pub and will never do so again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

After looking for a while for a hotel to stay at for 2 nights on a visit for my boyfriend and I to stay at when visiting Thorpe Park, I eventually stumbled across this one that seemed to be near the theme park, have a restaurant and a very decent price for the area. I then came on to Trip Advisor to find out others reviews and felt a bit dubious after booking and reading the reviews. I was unable to book on-line for some reason, so had to call the hotel which involved being kept on hold for over 10 minutes, and then the lady I spoke to on the line was a little abrupt, but I booked the room and the transaction went through.

We travelled from Wales, so it was really easy to find and we didn't get lost. The lady who greeted us on reception was so friendly and happy and it was a delight to be greeted so nicely when we had had a long journey. Our room was decorated nicely and had some character so was much better than the plain basic rooms you usually get in budget hotels. The bathroom was okay, but needed a bit of re-decoration, however we were informed that all the rooms were being decorated in the next few months so they were obviously aware of this and it was perfectly fine for our stay. Lots of toiletries, towels and a lovely comfy bed. Bit of traffic noise, but we were right by a main road. Good heating and air conditioning and plenty of storage and space to be comfortable.

Breakfast both days was delicious and so much choice, we also had a meal in the pub on the Friday night which was also fabulous for pub food. Service was quick and friendly.

Location was great, so close to Thorpe Park for our stay and a lovely location by the lakes and pretty surroundings.

I would recommend anyone in this area to stay here, it was a perfect mini-break!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Wheatsheaf Hotel? Share your experiences!