“Interesting accomodation and good food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Activities: Golfing
Dublin, Ireland
10 attraction reviews
“Interesting accomodation and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I dont play golf, but visited here (and stayed) for a work event and charity fundraiser. I had a great room (one of the upgraded rooms) #19 - which had a bath IN the bedroom. Also nice nespresso maker and tea facilities. nice contemporary decor. Views of the golf course. Had a good dinner there. My guest really enjoyed his food (a crispy duck starter and sea bass). My starter was disappointing (half pint of prawns - which were tiny & seemed to be covered in cold buttery sauce - I've had pints/half pints of prawns before - they were usually hot & bigger than these so perhaps I should stick to eating them in english gastro pubs where they seem to do them best). My main was a delicious duck confit on lentils. sides were also good (green beans with lemon and garlic) and the layered creamy potatoe dish was also good. Service was scatty but fine. We are in our 40s/50s and we were the youngest in the restaurant. The updated restaurant/bar & terrace are lovely and bright; light. The usual 'Burma' bar - looks clubby and cosy (but was closed during our visit). Overall a good experience (despite my not being a golfer); as long as one isnt expecting 5 star. Its a clubby slightly oldfashioned (despite the upgraded areas) space. Reception staff were good & helpful. NB: Headsup: No lifts due its listed building status, which means one has to carry bags up/down (if staff busy/or you are in a hurry). Also (for anyone with knee/hip probs) there are quite a few sets of stairs to walk up and down.

Visited June 2012

Bristol, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
“BMW championships May 2012”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I can recommend a visit to what is Englands only 'major' championship. The crowds are large but the venue, golf and overall exerience is superb. Take your own food and drink though as it can be expensive. Oh and BMW owners can go to the free grandstands and get complimentary soft drinks. One thing that annoyed me though was the over officious marshalls. They sometimes forget we are the paying publc and not plebs!

Visited May 2012
Cookham Dean, United Kingdom
62 attraction reviews
“A love hate relationship but mainly love!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have visited Wentworth more times than I can count and played golf there many, many times since the mid '80's.

The love part. Sensationally good golf courses. The West course used to be one of my top ten but recently it's been messed around with by Ernie Els and co. I am a great admirer of Ernie but not his golf design! It was a classic parkland course steeped in history and a delight to play. Now, it's just a (beautiful) slog and simply too hard for most golfers, even single figure handicaps! Tough for pros, sure, but they only come once a year.

The hate. Cost for starters. I nearly joined this course in 1985/6, had an interview and was accepted. Also looked at buying a house there as we only lived 5 minutes away. Cost then? Just over £500 a year and houses from £300K. Now? If you are a city banker, lottery winner or property magnate then the joining fees and subs will be insignificant. House prices? In the Millions now and obscene new designs. Green fees? Have a look at the website but please be sitting down........

The people that live there nowadays don't help either. Think Bentley convertible driving, sun glasses wearing slummy mummy and you won't be far out.

Overall, it's still an amazing place but I prefer the 1980's / 1990's version.

Visited May 2012
Windlesham
“Good and bad experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

My wife and decided to visit and eat at Wentworth for our anniversary, we had been warned that the food can sometimes not be as good as you would expect.
The restaurant was very pleasant with a nice calm atmosphere, the starters were very good as was most of the ingredients in the main meals.
Unfortunately the venison in my main was tough, when I say tough I mean tough. It ruined my meal, also the razor clams in my wifes dinner were over cooked and tough.The clams were not the main part of her meal so it did not tarnish her meal to much.
We bought this to the attention of both a waiter and a waitress on different ocassions, asking the waitress to bring this to the attention of the chef.
They obviously were not interested and did not inform anyone of our complaint. We did not wish to create a scene and left having paid the full amount, which incidentally we felt was reasonably priced given the surroundings and that the food could be very good.
We felt that the waiting staff should be instructed to inform the chef/management of any possible issues if and when they arise so that they may be dealt with satisfactorily.
Despite our chewy food we would be willing to give the restaurant another try as it is a pleasant restaurant to dine in.

Visited April 2012