“Like a scene from Fawlty Towers” 2 of 5 stars

+44 1737 668292
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Buenos Aires Argentinian Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 62 Restaurants in Reigate
Cuisines: Argentinean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Like a scene from Fawlty Towers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I went to the restaurant in January as part of a group. The evening was comical as the service was so bad.

On arrival we were shown to our table upstairs but then moved as they said they'd given us the wrong table. 5 minutes later we were asked to move back, which we did, only to be asked to move again!! The staff seemed as though they had not been trained and just didn't know what they were doing. Our food arrived but chips and sides were forgotten, only to be cold when they eventually were served. I could go on but it really felt like one disaster after another ...!

For some reason we decided to revisit but it was actually just as comical as the first time. The food order was wrong (the waiter said he pressed the wrong button, love the honesty), the blue cheese sauce for the steak looked like a pot of melted butter and the steaks arrived incorrectly cooked to order.

Will be interesting to see if it lasts.

Surrey
“An average Nightout!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I booked this as a special treat - kids all at sleepovers! The place is lovely inside and we found the staff attentive.
The starters we both had were delicious. I had the burger which was really tasty and my husband had a steak. Like the previous reviewer I was rather shocked at how much he left as fat. I was also disappointed that no one talked you through the different steak cuts to explain them we had assumed that as it was a 'steak house' it would be geared up to educate too. We had a glass of red wine a beer and two coffees. The bill with tip which they automatically added was £65.
Overall we enjoyed our food and the price was average. But having said all that we were left not really raving about it as there is nothing really special to talk about. We would go back but only if they were running a deal as the cost is higher than the experience!!!

Redhill, United Kingdom
“At this price the food was disappointing and service sub-standard”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

In the interest of balance I've been forced to write a first review because of overwhelming disappointment after our meal last night (but accept that ours may have been an unusual experience).

Have to say my wife and I were really looking forward to this meal (mainly as we don't get out that often!) primarily because it's the first steakhouse in Reigate and came recommended with a lot of promise.

Initial feeling was good, busy Friday evening made a nice atmosphere and the interior similar to Gaucho; low-lighting creating a sense of privacy and intimacy.

The first courses were promising, the grilled Chorizo was good, and also a plate of tapas (potato bravas I think) with sauces which my wife really enjoyed.

Once the steaks arrived however is when our experience took a turn for the worse. My wife's 'medium' fillet steak was served medium-rare at best - concerning for a steakhouse, but it happens. Once the new steak was received it was served with the old, cold, fries - not great.

I went for the largest sirloin steak and I would say, in complete honesty, that over 30% of it was left on the plate as it was grisle and fat. The comparison between my wife's fillet with the sirloin was unbelievable, but I wouldn't expect, in any restaurant, let alone at this price, to have to leave over a third of the steak.

Unfortunately the young girl who was serving was unequipped to deal with this, but the message didn't get relayed and nothing was mentioned to us from the more senior staff.

We were also charged for a more expensive drink which we didn't have; although only £2 more so we weren't overly concerned. Naturally we mentioned it, but when the more senior member of staff started rifling through the menu and pointing at different drinks and making us feel awkward it left another bad taste in the mouth. Finally, one of the waiters came over to accept it was "my bad". For 2 quid I would have hoped that no scene needed to be made and it could have been taken off the bill which as pointed out below was getting towards £100.

We were given the dessert menu and left with it for over 10 mins and there were also two tables near us where they had to go and ask a member of staff for the bill and for them to take payment. Not a standard of service I would expect in most restaurants, but certainly not one branding itself as premium.

Overall, with only one glass of wine, one starter and a plate of tapas in addition to the main meals this was a c £40 a head meal - so with another started and dessert would easily be well over £50 per head, but in our opinion is not even close to being a premium restaurant until the service issues are resolved.

Accept that it was a busy Friday night, but I've been (only the once!) to Gaucho on a Friday night and any issues we had were handled with exemplary customer service.

Unfortunately Buenos Aires falls some way short of this right now.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Stick to the steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I recently visited this as it was great to have a local steak house and after finaly getting a booking had a read on other reviews. The restaurant is very nicely done and shows it's pride in Argentinian food.The welcome was fantastic and the service was great. Very knowledgeable and willing to give advice and guidance. As there was a group of us we managed to sample a good selection of the menu. So lets start at the begining of the meal. The wines are nice and feirly priced, the beer is marvelous but expensive. The starters were nice but the portions were too small for the price. The calamari was lovely but too small . The sausage platter had 4 different sausages on it and a chimichuri dip. This would have been a good starter for 1 at a lower price but far too dear for a sharing platter. The steaks were lovely, all cooked to perfection and even the larger size ,priced by size was cooked marvelously. Only the marinated steak we felt to be overpriced. The desserts were again nice but pricey. As stated in almost every other review the sauces are too dear for the small portion, not overkeen on the blue cheese sauce. Anyway in summing this up, if you want a steak then this is great and good value , just watch the bill escalate with the starters, beer and dessert. Will definately go back for a big old staek ,maybe not another course though.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Over priced!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Didn't think the steaks were that special, the sauces are tiny!

Just felt really over priced. .. No value

But everything tasted good and well presented